Running: the gold standard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running: the gold standard?

It seems that running is vaunted as the gold standard of fitness exercise in our culture.

Why?

Steve Prefontaine created a cult of personality...?

Comment

Because the barriers to entry are so easily vaulted. Go buy a pair of shoes and run. No equipment necessary. Unlike cycling or god forbid, triathlon, it does not take a large sum to get started. And, you can pretty much run ANYWHERE. You can't just walk out your door and swim. Basically, its available to anyone at anytime and that's why it is glamorized. However, running is quite different than running fast. There is a pretty simple and easy path from walking to jogging to running to running fast and/or long.

Comment

My gold standard is how much weight you can deadlift in relation to your bodyweight. A 3xBW deadlift is just as (if not more) impressive than a 4 minute mile to me.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
          My gold standard is how much weight you can deadlift in relation to your bodyweight. A 3xBW deadlift is just as (if not more) impressive than a 4 minute mile to me.
          Ever run a 4:00 mile? Not saying a 3XBW DL is not extremely impressive, just a completely different muscle recruitment action. Each is at the opposing end of a spectrum (speed vs power). I'm wondering what exists at the cross roads of the two extremes?

Comment

I get the low transaction cost part of it, but it also seems like there's this moral superiority/smugness to runners.

Like they're somehow better than people who don't run.

Comment

Bobbitt81 - You need to start hanging out with ultra-runners. Probaly the nicest and most laid back group of athletes you will come accross. Same goes for mountain bikers. Althought usually the mtb croud is so mellow because they are stoned on killer green buds

I know what you mean, some runners just want to talk about how fast they are and how many dreams they crushed at the local 10k last weekend. There are those in every sport though. I know a lot of Crossfit goons who feel so superior to all other athletes is sad. Throw them in a pool and watch them sink!

Comment

how else are you going to get away from a cop?
                My Fitday public journal.
                Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma View Post
                  Ever run a 4:00 mile? Not saying a 3XBW DL is not extremely impressive, just a completely different muscle recruitment action. Each is at the opposing end of a spectrum (speed vs power). I'm wondering what exists at the cross roads of the two extremes?
                  Nope, note even close. I'm also not even really close to a 3xBW deadlift. That's why I see BOTH of those achievements as gold standards. Only a small percentage of the population will ever achieve either. That's why I said that I feel that the deadlift is AS impressive (maybe slightly more to me) than a 4 minute mile.

I agree that they express different attributes of fitness. I'm not sure what would be in the middle. Maybe something like rowing that measures power output over time.

Comment

@yodiewan and Karma: I'm not impressed by a 4:00 mile. Sorry, but 99% of that is genetics. No matter how much I train, even a 6:00 mile is out of reach.

3xBW deadlift is not out of the reach of you if you train really hard and really consistently. Not saying it's easy or doable for everyone, but I believe a 500 lb deadlift is doable for me, and that's not far off 3xbw. I've got a ways to go before I get there, but I believe it's a realistic goal. And I'm not genetically gifted in strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma View Post
                      Because the barriers to entry are so easily vaulted. Go buy a pair of shoes and run. No equipment necessary. Unlike cycling or god forbid, triathlon, it does not take a large sum to get started. And, you can pretty much run ANYWHERE. You can't just walk out your door and swim. Basically, its available to anyone at anytime and that's why it is glamorized. However, running is quite different than running fast. There is a pretty simple and easy path from walking to jogging to running to running fast and/or long.
                      Maybe so...

But, the barriers to entry to follow Mark's PBF are easily vaulted as well. I go up to the local elementary school playground to LHT (and the only reason I don't do it at home is b/c I haven't bought a pull up bar yet) -- that's $0.00! I walk around the neighborhood or run around the grass with my kids in my back yard or local park -- that's $0.00! Technically, one doesn't have to buy a specific pair of running shoes to do weekly sprints assuming they already have a decent pair of athletic shoes...and who doesn't? Heck one need not even run to sprint unless they want. Now, I use the running shoes I had from before to do sprints because I already had them, but I wouldn't feel the need to get a special pair if I didn't already -- that's $0.00!

So, for absolutely no investment, one can follow Mark's PBF -- and it's likely a hell of a lot more effective!
                      Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                      Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
                        @yodiewan and Karma: I'm not impressed by a 4:00 mile. Sorry, but 99% of that is genetics. No matter how much I train, even a 6:00 mile is out of reach.
                        Do you need great genetics to run a 4 min mile? Of course! Do you still need to train your ass off? You betcha!

All the greatest powerlifters have good genes too - doesn't make what they accomplish any less impressive to me.
                        "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                          Do you need great genetics to run a 4 min mile? Of course! Do you still need to train your ass off? You betcha!

All the greatest powerlifters have good genes too - doesn't make what they accomplish any less impressive to me.
                          My point being that a 4 minute mile is limited to the select few who have the genes and train. a 3x BW deadlift is not out of reach to the masses with a LOT of hard work. not saying one requires training and the other doesn't.

To me, a 4 minute mile is like Benedikt Magnusson deadlifting 1100 pounds. That's something you need to be genetically gifted AND train for.

Comment

All I have to say is running breeds cowardice

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
                              My point being that a 4 minute mile is limited to the select few who have the genes and train. a 3x BW deadlift is not out of reach to the masses of men with a LOT of hard work. not saying one requires training and the other doesn't.
                              There, fixed that for you. I get tired of weightlifting convos that forget that women lift too, and our standards are not necessarily yours.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X