No announcement yet.

More Pull-up and Muscle-up Inspiration!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Pull-up and Muscle-up Inspiration!

I just posted a video on my blog from a recent pull-up contest that took place in Brooklyn this past Saturday. Very cool stuff for those of you into this sort of thing.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Hey, Al, a question! My chin-ups are progressing nicely from 0 to 5 (not full ROM on the last ones) in a year, but I still can't achieve a full pull-up from a hang. I used to train with negatives with added weight, but let it slide, just keep trying to do a full pull-up. I can do about 5 full dips as well. Any advice on what to try to get the pull-up achieved?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Hey Leida - Congrats on your progress! Keep training hard - it takes time and dedication to achieve a full pull-up. For more info check out this post I did on how to increase your reps on pull-ups. I also did a post specifically about women doing pull-ups.
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
        Hey, Al, a question! My chin-ups are progressing nicely from 0 to 5 (not full ROM on the last ones) in a year, but I still can't achieve a full pull-up from a hang. I used to train with negatives with added weight, but let it slide, just keep trying to do a full pull-up. I can do about 5 full dips as well. Any advice on what to try to get the pull-up achieved?
        so the only issue is the grip? when you switch to a pull up grip you aren't able to do a pull up from dead hang but in chin up grip you can?

Try a mixed grip, one hand in chin up position, the other in pull up. Make sure to switch hands too. I have to run or I'd explain, but basically in chin up grip you're able to recruit more of your biceps into the movement. See if that helps.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I progressed quite a bit alternating between negatives, assisted (machine or band), and partials (halfway down, halfway up). However, my biggest improvement came from incorporating the grip below:

Sorry I don't have any science or explanation as to why.
          Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

What a cool event! The atmosphere seemed really motivational too, I like that. How come you didn't compete this year Al?

Comment

Wow! I am in awe! Those people in the contest were nothing short of spectacular.

Man I've got a looooooooong way to go.

Could I still enter the contest with my 3-powerband assisted pull-ups?

Thanks for your continued inspiration!

Esperance

Comment

awesomeness.

in expanding the yoga studio space (our next project), i'm thinking that bringing someone in to do kettle bell work or some such might be cool. but then i remember that outside is always better, so, we'll just keep it at yoga, tai chi, nia, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
                  What a cool event! The atmosphere seemed really motivational too, I like that. How come you didn't compete this year Al?
                  I got there late and missed the muscle-up comp. That was the only event I would have possibly entered. The pull-up comp takes forever since so many people participate and I didn't have time to wait around all day to find out if I placed.

Originally posted by Esperance View Post
                  Wow! I am in awe! Those people in the contest were nothing short of spectacular.

Man I've got a looooooooong way to go.

Could I still enter the contest with my 3-powerband assisted pull-ups?

Thanks for your continued inspiration!

Esperance
                  Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the video!

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                  awesomeness.

in expanding the yoga studio space (our next project), i'm thinking that bringing someone in to do kettle bell work or some such might be cool. but then i remember that outside is always better, so, we'll just keep it at yoga, tai chi, nia, and so on.
                  Thanks! Imo, outside isn't ALWAYS better - sometimes it's nice to train indoors - that's why you have a studio in the first place, right?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pacificBeef View Post
                    I progressed quite a bit alternating between negatives, assisted (machine or band), and partials (halfway down, halfway up). However, my biggest improvement came from incorporating the grip below:

Sorry I don't have any science or explanation as to why.
                    From reading Pavel (Tsatsouline) I basically was first exposed to the concept of "muscle recruitment" which is basically "calling in" more muscles to assist a movement. For instance, it's easier to do a regular pull-up than it is to do it with one arm, that's obviously because more muscles are called upon when using both arms.

For this purpose, when the arms are in a pull-up position, less of your forearm muscles are "recruited" so even though you're using both arms, you're not using "all" the muscles as you would in a chin-up. However, the difference is pretty small, but at the stage that the OP is in it would actually make a difference. My gf is still on her quest for her first pull up, and her favorite grip is also the neutral grip (pictured) because that's a nice in-between grip.

Next time you go for them, try squeezing your entire body not just the upper body, squeeze your butt and as you take off the ground point your toes. The more muscle you call upon, the better.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Heya, thank you for the suggestions! I am going to try the alternate grip today if I still chomp at the bit to do a HIIT after work, to see if I can do one alternate from full hang. Might not be indicative, since I did OHP and pull-ups/chins this morning. But definetly worth trying. I also do Inverted Rows whenever Smith machine is not occupied by some guy doing power shrugs. I can squeeze about 8 good IRS with bent legs, and about 1 or 2 without after the workout. I have never tried IRs preworkout. I saw folks doing awsome IRs on the high of the racks, but I am afraid to even think about replicating, and Smith machine is my only chance for a low bar.

I feel that my weekness is the upper back, because my BBRs are horrible as well, while my tricpes are getting better judging from the dips (0 to 5 as well there, I started with just holding myself up on the upright arms)

I do use the whole body on chins and pulls, my legs often do a full angle and what not, whatever it takes to bring the chin over the bar.
                      Last edited by Leida; 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                        I just posted a video on my blog from a recent pull-up contest that took place in Brooklyn this past Saturday. Very cool stuff for those of you into this sort of thing.
                        btw much respect to you and your site Al
                        Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Great post as always Al! Just wanted to report in on my own "greasing the groove" type of pullup success. I finally got bw + 15 for two strict ones today. Didn't try for reps but anything over BW had been a real chore till now. Going for +25 then I'll try to up the reps on the weighted ones.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Well, guess what? I pulled three on the alternate grip, stepped back from the rack, shook arms off, and proceeded with a full pull up. Duh. Apparently I can't do a full pull up after doing 50 min of heavy lifting immediately beforehand, but on the rested arms... Wee!

Comment

Originally posted by pacificBeef View Post
                              btw much respect to you and your site Al
                              Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                              Great post as always Al! Just wanted to report in on my own "greasing the groove" type of pullup success. I finally got bw + 15 for two strict ones today. Didn't try for reps but anything over BW had been a real chore till now. Going for +25 then I'll try to up the reps on the weighted ones.
                              Thanks, guys! And congrats on your progress, Tfarny! Though I personally wouldn't be concerned with weighted pull-ups until you get your reps up, I suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              Well, guess what? I pulled three on the alternate grip, stepped back from the rack, shook arms off, and proceeded with a full pull up. Duh. Apparently I can't do a full pull up after doing 50 min of heavy lifting immediately beforehand, but on the rested arms... Wee!
                              Congrats! It's funny how sometimes in giving people advice, we overlook the most important thing. Just because it seems obvious to the teacher, doesn't mean it's obvious to the student! So to anyone working on learning a pull-up or any other challenging new exercise, always practice it at the beginning of your workout when you're fresh!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X