Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deadlift question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deadlift question

    So on July 28 2011 I started a 5x5 power lifting routine.

    Starting numbers
    Squat: 50lbs
    Overhead Press: 50lbs
    Dead Lifts: 95lbs
    Bench Press 95lbs

    I do this twice a week Monday and Friday, if I am not too sore I try and squeeze in a few accesory exercises on Wednesday, but only if I'm not too sore.

    August 15, 2011 numbers

    Squat: 75lbs
    Bench Press: 110lbs
    Overhead Press: 60lbs
    Dead Lift: 95 llbs.

    Here is the question, all my numbers have improved except for my dead lift. It is still a challenge. I assumed in the first week my numbers went up as my body became used to the form of the lift. I learned in my second week I was doing the Dead Lift wrong and adjusted accordingly, is it normal for you dead lift numbers to stand still while the others go up? I am going to continure lifting till I feel comfortable adding weight, but wondered if that was normal for newbies, haven't picked up weights in a long time, but am loving this stuff.

  • #2
    generally the deadlift is the last or second to last of those lifts to stall. overhead press is where most people find slower progress.

    there could be a few reasons why your deadlift isn't getting better, from your back strength, your form, your grip, etc. it might be helpful to get an experienced lifter to watch you while you deadlift, or try to get a video of yourself and post it here or a lifting site for some critique.

    are you following a specific program? your numbers seem a little skewed...can you really bench press more than you can squat? that seems backwards.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

    Comment


    • #3
      Your deadlift is way too low (proportionally) compared to your other lifts and it should probably have improved the fastest rather than the slowest. Maybe take another look at your technique and see if you can get some coaching. Is it that you feel like you couldn't lift anymore?
      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
      Brute Force Sandbags
      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

      Comment


      • #4
        Girl, how the hell are you benching 110 lbs?!

        Comment


        • #5
          Generally, women breathe through the DL, and stall on the upper body lifts. So you are lucky! I have been lifting for a year, and I can't get OHP move past 65 lbs.

          A few tips on the DL:

          Do you lift with your legs (i.e from near squatting) or trying to pull stiff-legged?
          Do you chalk your hands (a HUGE improvement)?
          Do you use alternative grip?
          Did you try alternating the grip width?
          Did you try to 'jump' to the next plate (plate is wider, path is shortened, so it actually feels lighter on 35 lbs than on 25 lbs)?
          Where does the lift fail? You can't move it?
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

          Comment


          • #6
            1- you have to REALLY drive with your legs on the deadlift. It is the only lift that makes gets me dizzy and sweaty after 5 reps.

            2- try supinating your strong hand. A mixed grip (one overhand, the other underhand) is stronger, and your back won't lift what your hands can't grip.

            3- REST! Deadlifting 5x5 three times a week is way too much. Rippatoe's SS program calls for 5x3 on everything except deads, which is just one work set of five reps, and as you progress it's dialed back to every other workout, then further back to alternate weeks, switching with the power clean. The reason is, it is very taxing to every muscle in your body, and tough to recover from.

            Get plenty of rest between exercises, too. 2-3 minutes before starting your workset, minimum. Also, when are you working out? I got stuck around 275, I was working out fasted in the morning. I started eating a banana pre workout with my BCAA's and found the extra energy I needed. You deplete glycogen quickly when lifting heavy, if you're deadlifting at the end of your workout, you may just be running out of gas.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yakes, I didn't notice that 5x5 on the DL! That's the most likely reason! I bet the volume is what's killing it off! It should be 1x5!
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                generally the deadlift is the last or second to last of those lifts to stall. overhead press is where most people find slower progress.

                there could be a few reasons why your deadlift isn't getting better, from your back strength, your form, your grip, etc. it might be helpful to get an experienced lifter to watch you while you deadlift, or try to get a video of yourself and post it here or a lifting site for some critique.

                are you following a specific program? your numbers seem a little skewed...can you really bench press more than you can squat? that seems backwards.
                It looks like she's doing an LP program, she's added 25# to the squat and 15 to the bench. Just starting out it looks like she started higher on the bench than the squat. My guess is she's going to stall on the bench long before the squat, and in a month the squat will have passed the bench. Especially if she's addeding 15#/wk to the squat...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  Generally, women breathe through the DL, and stall on the upper body lifts. So you are lucky! I have been lifting for a year, and I can't get OHP move past 65 lbs.

                  A few tips on the DL:

                  Do you lift with your legs (i.e from near squatting) or trying to pull stiff-legged?
                  Do you chalk your hands (a HUGE improvement)?
                  Do you use alternative grip?
                  Did you try alternating the grip width?
                  Did you try to 'jump' to the next plate (plate is wider, path is shortened, so it actually feels lighter on 35 lbs than on 25 lbs)?
                  Where does the lift fail? You can't move it?
                  I lift with my legs
                  Yep use chalk
                  Use supinating grip
                  And the lift fails just when the bar reaches my knee, my legs feel very weak

                  Originally posted by unchatenfrance View Post
                  Girl, how the hell are you benching 110 lbs?!
                  I was a shipfitter for six years before I took an office job a year ago, I swung 20lb sledge hammers for a living to bend metal to my will, my upper body strength as always been like a man, I am actually sad that my BP is so low right now

                  Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                  Your deadlift is way too low (proportionally) compared to your other lifts and it should probably have improved the fastest rather than the slowest. Maybe take another look at your technique and see if you can get some coaching. Is it that you feel like you couldn't lift anymore?
                  No not really I do 5 sets of 5 reps, some I pop up no problem, others I am fighting to get it past my knees
                  Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                  generally the deadlift is the last or second to last of those lifts to stall. overhead press is where most people find slower progress.

                  there could be a few reasons why your deadlift isn't getting better, from your back strength, your form, your grip, etc. it might be helpful to get an experienced lifter to watch you while you deadlift, or try to get a video of yourself and post it here or a lifting site for some critique.

                  are you following a specific program? your numbers seem a little skewed...can you really bench press more than you can squat? that seems backwards.
                  I wish I could do the video thing, no cameras at my gym, and yes I am i do those lifts Monday and Friday, accessories if I can on Wed for 8 weeks. And yes the Bench is my easiest lift, my squat is suffering due to an ACL tear 2 years ago, legs are weak, getting better.

                  Thanks for the advice guys, I contaced a coach, but he mainly works with men, and requests that I track my progress for eight weeks before coming to see him (he works 2 hours away, nearest coach to me)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I did a deadlift tutorial on my blog a while back that you might find helpful (click the link!).
                    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

                    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

                    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                      I did a deadlift tutorial on my blog a while back that you might find helpful (click the link!).

                      Thanks Al I use the Sumo technique when Dead lifting

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by amazonmagic View Post
                        No not really I do 5 sets of 5 reps, some I pop up no problem, others I am fighting to get it past my knees
                        Maybe you just need more rest between sets.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And the lift fails just when the bar reaches my knee, my legs feel very weak
                          Is the bar really close to your shins/knees on the way up? I know I had trouble with the bar pass on the upper lifts, BP & OHP when the load was too far forward.

                          Try coming to the gym, and start with a DL, just DL, and see how much you can do on a single set & ask the gym monitor or any resting male to video your lift for you with your camera. At 5x5, with your legs feeling weak, I am having a feeling that SQT + DL volume is holding you back though. Try dropping the volume, it is an easy thing to do. I know that when I went from 5x5 with 1x5 of DLs to Madcow that had 4x5 on DL I can barely DL 160 now in the end of the sequence, when on the SL 5x5 I stalled @ 180 lbs.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Oh, and I had to add: I would sell my soul right now for your Bench! Last workout I was proud that I unrack and support 95 lbs, let alone press it!
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              To me it's due to too much work. Alternate deadlifts and squats between workouts. Or move deadlifts to your first exercise but I bet your squats will suffer. If I do a leg press before deadlifts there is no way I can do my normal deadlift, I've tried, forget it. It would have to be a lower weight which would be pointless.

                              If I deadlift, the rest of my workout is just rear deltoid work and my shoulder therapy stuff.
                              Last edited by pyro13g; 08-16-2011, 09:00 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X