Need Help Please :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Please :)

Ok so I have been doing primal for about 3 months now but just can't figure out a good workout plan. I have a gym membership and have continued to do my normal weight lifting 4x/week which takes forever in the gym. I have read Mark's Primal fitness ebook and I don't have access to a pull up bar where I can do all the exercises in a cycle. Will doing all of the 5 exercises one at a time for however many sets and reps work? (3 sets of push ups, 3 sets of squats, etc.)

Sorry guys I am having a hard time here! I just want to make sure I am doing enough. Or can I just do one exercise for each body part, 3 sets, 12-15 reps?

My goal is to lean out. I am 22 yrs old, 5'6" and weigh 150lbs. What do you all recommend?

Ok, so you've got your "lift heavy things" down pat. What about moving slowly for long periods of time and sprinting all out every once in a while? Make sure you have those bases covered too, they are just as important as lifting weights.

Comment

I do move slowly 4 days a week for 30 min and serve tables 5 nights a week so I move around a lot. I also do my sprints on other machines (elliptical, stairstepper, etc.) because my knee bothers me.

I don't have my LHT down though because I don't know what to do in the gym. That's where I am a little lost and that was my question up above. So what can I do of those options I listed?

Comment

OK, so it sounds like all your fitness bases are being covered. How long have you been primal? You're similar in body build to me (I'm 5'7" and 155lbs) so it is safe to assume that your body fat level is in the normal range - so if you want to lean out (ie. lose body fat) it may be time for some fork put-downs and table push-aways. Exercise alone will only get you so far (trust me, I know!)
        Last edited by unchatenfrance; 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

What do you do for your workouts?

Comment

Ask someone at the gym to help you with the weights. This is going to sound really silly and stupid, but, I actually started off by doing the "Truth About Six Pack Abs" workout. The weight lifting part is only 30mins. It uses free weights. I just printed off what I wanted to do. Brought it to the gym. Asked the gym guy to help me and make sure I was doing every right. Worked out really nice.

If I can't go to the gym (or just don't want to) I have 5L water bottles in my house. They make great weights! Most of the free weight stuff can be done with anything, giant water bottles, kettle balls, babies, etc.
            Height: 5'2"
            Starting weight: 180lbs
            Current weight 130lbs

Comment

Also, working out LESS may be beneficial. There is no need to lift 4 days a week, especially if the workout takes "forever" as you said. If it's taking "forever" it's probably because you're doing a lot of isolation exercises. Stick to the compound ones like in the PB Fitness plan and see how that goes.

Comment

Any other suggestions on a routine I could do on LHT days??

Comment

This article may help you: A Weighty Question The Ludus

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiigirl View Post
                    Ok so I have been doing primal for about 3 months now but just can't figure out a good workout plan. I have a gym membership and have continued to do my normal weight lifting 4x/week which takes forever in the gym. I have read Mark's Primal fitness ebook and I don't have access to a pull up bar where I can do all the exercises in a cycle. Will doing all of the 5 exercises one at a time for however many sets and reps work? (3 sets of push ups, 3 sets of squats, etc.)

Sorry guys I am having a hard time here! I just want to make sure I am doing enough. Or can I just do one exercise for each body part, 3 sets, 12-15 reps?

My goal is to lean out. I am 22 yrs old, 5'6" and weigh 150lbs. What do you all recommend?
                    “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN
                    BODY BY SCIENCE (VIDEO 5): THE SCIENCE OF FAT LOSS

Comment

You're in Honolulu. Last time I checked, Kapiolani Park has a pull-up bar complex near the tennis center and it's free, right by the water fountain and TheBus stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiigirl View Post
                        Any other suggestions on a routine I could do on LHT days??
                        I'd highly recommend purchasing the book You Are Your Own Gym. All the workouts you'll ever need and no gym or equipment required. I've been using this system since July 2010 and have made great (and consistent) progress. It also fits in very nicely with the PB.

Comment

Cal - thanks for the suggested reading, I think I'm going to buy a copy.
                          Last edited by Griffin; 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM. Reason: Just bought the book online for $8.75. Score!
                          There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

Another possibility:

bodyweight exercises, bodyweight workouts

You'd have to invest in one of those over-the-door-frame pull up bars (but they are usually only 20-30 bucks, sans Hawaii mark-up ).

I only stuck with it for 3 weeks because I'm not good at working out at home - but even in those 3 weeks I saw improvement week to week!

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                              You'd have to invest in one of those over-the-door-frame pull up bars (but they are usually only 20-30 bucks, sans Hawaii mark-up ).
                              Just grab the top of the door and go. Door frame pull up bars are fine, but not much fun if you're on the move. (Of course if the door and its hinges are very flimsy, and you weigh 500lb, this might not be an option.)

Comment

Working...
                              X