Strength Training Videos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength Training Videos?

I just finished 3 months of Chalean Extreme & I am looking to change it up. I would like videos that have full body strength training, lifting to failure in 6-12 reps and no more than 45 min. Any DVDs or online videos would be much appreciated!

Also, anyone know where I can get a decently priced weight set? My dream is the Bowflex select tec but who the hell can afford that? I really only need them to be up to 25-30 lbs each.

P.S.
    Please don't say P90X!
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Not sure if it will meet your needs, but I love BODYROCK.tv | Fitness Advice, Workout Videos, Health & Fitness | Bodyrock.tv for quick, intense, primal style workouts.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Where do you find the full workout videos?

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

Originally posted by me2 View Post
        full body strength training, lifting to failure in 6-12 reps
        Why would you want a video for this?
        How would it even work?

Comment

Tony Horton 1-on-1. Great stuff.

Also, I have P90x, but to apply the HIIT principles, I simply do half a video and push harder than doing the full hour or so. So if I had to do it again I wouldn't spend the money on P90x, based on the fact that it's designed as a brutal daily routine.. and can bring you dangerously close to chronic cardio.

Comment

I just finished 3 months of Chalean Extreme & I am looking to change it up. I would like videos that have full body strength training, lifting to failure in 6-12 reps and no more than 45 min. Any DVDs or online videos would be much appreciated!
            If you are looking for ways to improve STRENGTH with weights, nothing will ever beat 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe (which also has a DVD for the movements described in SS). This can, and most definately will, be the best investment in regards to weight training.

If you are looking to utilize a bodyweight strength training program, the best exercises are: Burpees, Indian Pushups, Indian Squats. All provide Strength/Strength Endurance/Cardio benefits, just to name the few. Best of all: ITS BODYWEIGHT, SO ITS FREE.

Another option is checking out RossTraining.com Blog, look under 'products' and check out 'Infinate Intensity', or my personal favorite, 'Never Gymless.' Ross is an extraordinary trainer and his ideas/programs might possibly be what you are looking for. He also has a web-sticky for homemade equipment, which you could check out to make your own weights (which I have done myself).

Comment

Comment

Also, anyone know where I can get a decently priced weight set? My dream is the Bowflex select tec but who the hell can afford that? I really only need them to be up to 25-30 lbs each.
                Bowflex is not a weight set - it's a machine (and a crappy one at that). You're much better off with freeweights. If you're looking to buy cheap ones, try Craigslist. If you don't want to buy used, go to Modell's.
                "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by achilles.kealoha View Post
                  If you are looking for ways to improve STRENGTH with weights, nothing will ever beat 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe (which also has a DVD for the movements described in SS). This can, and most definately will, be the best investment in regards to weight training.
                  +1
                  I would add that it is also very good for gaining muscle size. But, as Rippetoe puts it: "Don't fuck witch the fucking program"
                  Last edited by Tadas; 08-15-2011, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                    Bowflex is not a weight set - it's a machine (and a crappy one at that). You're much better off with freeweights. If you're looking to buy cheap ones, try Craigslist. If you don't want to buy used, go to Modell's.
                    Actually the selecttech are these amazing dumbbells where you put them in their holster & dial the weight you want. You only have a set of two or all weight levels you want.

Bowflex® SelectTech® | Homepage

@ everyone else: I CANT WAIT to try these out! Thanks so much.

Comment

Actually the selecttech are these amazing dumbbells where you put them in their holster & dial the weight you want. You only have a set of two or all weight levels you want.

Bowflex® SelectTech® | Homepage

@ everyone else: I CANT WAIT to try these out! Thanks so much.
                      Most, if not all, of the Bowtech stuff is crap - Al is right, get yourself some proper weights off Craigslist or something homemade.
                      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                      Brute Force Sandbags
                      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Gotta cut the 45 min threshold to under 20 min. Since you mentioned Bowflex, I give you this Dr. Darden's H.I.T. If you don't have a spotter or power rack for free weights there is no way to get to proper failure. P90X and failure is limited to joints, not muscle.

And a real Bowflex is not crap. It will get you closer to failure then lifting free weights to the point of quitting a rep or two short to unload the weights without injury. Using power rod Bowflex tech. requires using your head to get the slack out of the resistance.
                        Last edited by pyro13g; 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pyro13g View Post
                          Gotta cut the 45 min threshold to under 20 min. Since you mentioned Bowflex, I give you this Dr. Darden's H.I.T. If you don't have a spotter or power rack for free weights there is no way to get to proper failure. P90X and failure is limited to joints, not muscle.

And a real Bowflex is not crap. It will get you closer to failure then lifting free weights to the point of quitting a rep or two short to unload the weights without injury. Using power rod Bowflex tech. requires using your head to get the slack out of the resistance.
                          Yeah, maybe you're right and serious athletes the world over will start switching to the Bowflex range of equipment for their unrivalled results. Or maybe Bowflex will just remain the choice for home exercisers who get bored easily. Who knows.

And incidentally, Bowflex recommend a low-fat, low calorie diet. Perhaps their exercise equipment is bullshit too?
                          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                          Brute Force Sandbags
                          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Anywhoo thnx for the suggestions, obviously don't know what I am doing so your support is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                            X