The Front Lever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Front Lever

Hey Gang - I just posted a new blog about the front lever - a very challenging bodyweight exercise.

Many of you will not be ready for this move, but for those of you who fancy yourselves strong, give it a shot! (Be prepared for a humbling.)
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

The front lever to muscle ups were awesome!

Comment

I've always just called these levers (though I never paired them with muscle ups... brutal). Are there back levers?

Comment

Originally posted by scotchncoffee View Post
        I've always just called these levers (though I never paired them with muscle ups... brutal). Are there back levers?
        Yes sir.

My tuck lever is decent and I can almost hold an "okay" straddle front lever. It's such a patience building skill, as most of these are. My back lever is basically non-existent. I have to spend a lot more time skinning the cat, it still feels pretty uncomfortable.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
          The front lever to muscle ups were awesome!
          Thanks!

There sure are! Check out my back lever tutorial!

There is also something called an "elbow lever" - which I plan to do a blog about in a couple weeks. In the meantime, here's a photo!

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
          Yes sir.

My tuck lever is decent and I can almost hold an "okay" straddle front lever. It's such a patience building skill, as most of these are. My back lever is basically non-existent. I have to spend a lot more time skinning the cat, it still feels pretty uncomfortable.
          You said it - keep practicing!
          "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Al, as usual, you make it look easy!
            Primal Chaos
            37yo 6'5"
            6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
            current 338lbs 49" waist
            goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Thanks, Mike!

sigpic

Comment

I think I sprained something just watching the video...I'm going to have shed a few more pounds and add some flexibility. Very impressive, Al.

Comment

Haha - thanks! This is definitely not an appropriate exercise for everyone.

sigpic

Comment

Back levers look hard, and therefore awesome. Next "back day" I'm gonna try the muscle-levers and start working the back. Thanks for the resources, man!

Comment

Not to take away from Al's thunder, but check out this awesome old dude doing the elbow lever Al shows above, at 72! he's not even a former gymnast or nothing, but a miner!

RossTraining.com Blog
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Not to take away from Al's thunder, but check out this awesome old dude doing the elbow lever Al shows above, at 72! he's not even a former gymnast or nothing, but a miner!

RossTraining.com Blog
                        that is so cool!
                        Primal Chaos
                        37yo 6'5"
                        6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                        current 338lbs 49" waist
                        goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Coolness incarnate, but this one is far above my capacity, alas. Cheers, Al, rock on!!!
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

NICE! I'm so jealous of people who can do levers.
                            I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

Comment

Back levers look hard, and therefore awesome. Next "back day" I'm gonna try the muscle-levers and start working the back. Thanks for the resources, man!
                              You got it! This stuff is pretty advanced, so be patient and start at the beginning of the progressions. Go get 'em!

RossTraining.com Blog
                              That old guy rules! I'm doing it on a bench - he's on a bottle!

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              Coolness incarnate, but this one is far above my capacity, alas. Cheers, Al, rock on!!!
                              I'm glad it's at least fun to watch even if you can't do it yet!

Originally posted by BryanC View Post
                              NICE! I'm so jealous of people who can do levers.
                              Thanks! No need to be jealous though - anyone with two arms can do a lever...as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X