What to do at the gym?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do at the gym?

I really like the exercises listed for lifting heavy things in the PB book but at the same time I have a gym membership until February next year and it seems silly not to use it. Especially since there is a creche there so I can take the baby.

So what should I be doing at the gym? I am very weak and the thought of free weights terrifies me!
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

You can do your bodyweight stuff in the gym. Most have pull up bars and mats for pushups, planks, squats etc

Comment

Nothing wrong with starting out using machines to build some strength, but you could just as well start out with light free weights and work your way up...
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
        Nothing wrong with starting out using machines to build some strength, but you could just as well start out with light free weights and work your way up...
        Agree with the above - start with LIGHT freeweights - don't do anything heavy until you are comfortable with the balance. Do a session with a trainer/coach(or a knowledgeable, trusted friend) who can give you useful feedback on your form. Once you're comfortable with the form and balance, increase the weight gradually.

Comment

Thanks. I haven't seen a pull up bar anywhere in the gym. I have my plan for the machines that I am meant to follow. I'm due for a plan review so I might ask my trainer if he can show me how to use the free weights instead.

SW - 84kg / 185lb
          CW - 60kg / 132lb
          GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

If you are going to the gym, start with light free weights as mentioned above. It would be rash to say that you don't gain ANYTHING from machines, but the benefits of utilizing free weights far out-weigh using a machine (i.e. buidling stability in your muscles/core, proper range of motion, proper positioning/form, etc)

Some machines are good to use initially though, such as pull up assist machines. I say just do negatives, but doesn't mean the machine won't help.

Comment

Comment

Start light and go from there. I did this a few years ago, and went from lifting a 2 kg dumbbell in one hand (10x3 reps) to 11 kgs in a matter of 4 months. So you will build quickly. Mind you, I wasn't doing a low-carb diet back then, no wonder I could never see my newly gained muscle!

Comment

crossfit! take baby steps

Comment

Originally posted by landerson22 View Post
                    crossfit! take baby steps
                    Injuries - CrossFit Discussion Board

Comment

Yeah I don't think crossfit is for me. A few reasons. The nearest one is 1.5 hours away, it's ridiculously expensive and I barely made it alive through a set of wall push-ups today!

At this stage I'd settle for basic fitness, maybe elite fitness will appeal to me later

SW - 84kg / 185lb
                      CW - 60kg / 132lb
                      GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
                        Most injuries occur because people attempt to do workouts/movements with no proper training. I have deviated away from crossfit myself, but it doesn't mean that its a bad thing with proper training.

Athanasey: what are your goals? Do you want to focus on strength/endurance/speed/cardio/explosiveness, or all of the above? Before deciding what to do at the gym, figure out what you want to focus on. Different goals have different approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasey View Post
                          Yeah I don't think crossfit is for me. A few reasons. The nearest one is 1.5 hours away, it's ridiculously expensive and I barely made it alive through a set of wall push-ups today!

At this stage I'd settle for basic fitness, maybe elite fitness will appeal to me later
                          “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN

Comment

I start with the warm up exercises and then directly go for my abs exercise and after that I do some chest exercise. I also try to do some stretching exercises.

Comment

Whatever program you decide to do should involve the whole body: legs, trunk and arms. And it should be a program, with a clear goal (compatible with your own goals of course) and a progression schedule of some sort.

I highly recommend a free-weight program of some sort, whether it be bodyweight, gymnastics, barbell, dumbell, kettlebell, sandbag, etc as the need to control the movement of a free weight in space will also build coordination as well as strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X