Enhancing Pull up Bar Grips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhancing Pull up Bar Grips

so, i do my pull ups on a power tower with a fairly small bar, and my hands are turning into one big callus. i want to increase the circumference of the bar so i can focus more on strength and form, and less on the pain in my palms. a thicker bar would also help my grip strength.

i don't really want to get fatgrips, so i want to try a homemade macgyver thing first. i'm thinking a little tennis grip secured by some athletic tape might do the trick and save me some money. any opinions on whether this will work?

any other suggestions on getting that bar thicker?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

I haven't done this but I was thinking of trying to get some thick PVC and somehow wrapping it around the bar. I also use what you use for pull ups when I'm home.

Maybe pipe insulation? I made a dip belt using that I think that could work if you tape around it with athletic tape maybe.

However, you could also in the meantime at least, try to grip the bar to reduce callous. Instead of putting your palm on the bar grip the bar where your fingers naturally curve in, this minimizes callus formation a lot (since your skin doesn't get trapped) and also works on your grip strength.

Even if you get bigger bars, if you don't grip right you will get callouses.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I love my fat gripz and use them for all sorts of things, including dips etc.

You could also just use tennis balls. Google Jens Pulver pullups and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post

Maybe pipe insulation? I made a dip belt using that I think that could work if you tape around it with athletic tape maybe.
        ooooh...how did you make that?

that's a good point about how to grip the bar. i'll try moving a bit and squeezing a little harder. i'll probably tape it at the very least since i have to keep it outside and i'll need something on there come winter.

Comment

Ridiculously easy: ‪Dips belte 9 5 09‬‏ - YouTube

Get a chain, some carabiners (I used two), some tape and pipe insulation. Shouldn't run you more than $20.

Buy extra pipe insulation and throw that on top of your bar, boom, fat gripz.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
            I love my fat gripz and use them for all sorts of things, including dips etc.

You could also just use tennis balls. Google Jens Pulver pullups and you'll see what I mean.
            I didn't find that, but is it the same as the soft-ball grips? I wanted to make that but never got around to it ...

Comment

Do you wear gloves? My calluses are a whole lot smaller since I started using fingerless weightlifting gloves. Both my hands still have calluses but I don't seem to have to cut them down anymore.
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I had the similar issue with dumbbells and used 2in pvc pipe to fatten them up
                http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kitoi View Post
                  I had the similar issue with dumbbells and used 2in pvc pipe to fatten them up
                  That's sort of what I was thinking but you unfortunately can't slip PVC into the bar as it doesn't... actually wait mine does come apart at the top! but there's a bend in it (for the stupid "wide" pull ups) so it still won't work... dang it.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    I didn't find that, but is it the same as the soft-ball grips? I wanted to make that but never got around to it ...
                    don't need to make the grips. You just take tennis balls and go, rest them on top of the bar, and grip. It's hard.

Comment

I used to wrap hand towels around a barbell (secured with duct tape, of course) when I was powerlifiting. You could do something like that with the pullup bar I would think.
                      As an aside, my forearms grew about an inch in 8 weeks using that technique. It hurts.
                      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                        Do you wear gloves? My calluses are a whole lot smaller since I started using fingerless weightlifting gloves. Both my hands still have calluses but I don't seem to have to cut them down anymore.
                        jesus. you look so much different than your last avatar.

no gloves, but that's definitely another option.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                          jesus. you look so much different than your last avatar.

no gloves, but that's definitely another option.
                          They're both me. The current one was taken last week.
                          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
                            don't need to make the grips. You just take tennis balls and go, rest them on top of the bar, and grip. It's hard.
                            Oh ok. Its probably somewhat similar to the "no grip" or "no hand" pull up where you place your wrist on the bar and make a fist to act as a hook on the bar. Pull ups are much harder that way because you cancel out the forearms which makes it difficult to recruit muscle. They're great for muscle up training. Al Kavadlo has a vid where he does a slow MU with that grip. Really tough.

Comment

save your money and time, try tree branches - pine/coniferous branches work best
                              "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

Comment

Working...
                              X