Novice Weight Training for 50-Something + Women

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice Weight Training for 50-Something + Women

My doctor recommended weight training to correct bone density issues. I find the whole arena of weights and macho gyms intimidating and wonder what is the simplest way to get into the zen of it? I got halfway through Body for Life by Bill Phillips and am not feeling it! The tone was too rah, rah for me and looking at the equipment and exercises really turns me off.

Is Curves routine adequate for resistance training for my purposes?

I don't know anything about Curves, and was really just bumping this back to the top because I'm curious about others' experiences. I'm just starting to work with resistance bands right now (in addition to things like planks) because I walk a ton and don't feel like going to the gym after work.
    Durp.

Comment

The only reason i go to my gym is to take a class they have, called Group Power (it used to be called Body Pump). It's a high energy weight lifting class, where you workout your whole body in one hour. This totally works for me, since i used to get bored with traditional weight lifting. I needed the structure of a class to do the workout. I really love it, since it forces me to keep going and keep up with the rest of the class. The class has all ages, men and women. There is even a kick-ass 80 year old lady who puts some of the younger people to shame!

FYI, I'm 50 yrs old, and I can feel a BIG difference since I re-joined my gym and started taking this class. I go on tues, thurs, and saturdays. I also hike, ride my bike, or just walk on alternate days.

You might want to see if there is a local gym that has a similar class? That Kettleball thing looks interesting, but they dont offer that at my gym.

Comment

I do the PB Fitness Bodyweight workouts at home. Free .pdf file at the top of the Fitness forum.

I'm 48 and in the best shape of my life!
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Try Rachel Cosgrove's "The Female Body Breakthrough". The tone may be rah rah (I honestly can't remember), but she starts with workouts that address the weaknesses that most women have. It's a series of workouts that you progress through as you get stronger. Gym membership required.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
            My doctor recommended weight training to correct bone density issues. I find the whole arena of weights and macho gyms intimidating...
            Since your in the Atlanta area: East Cobb Exercise Excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
              Since your in the Atlanta area: East Cobb Exercise Excellence.
              I live in Midtown, I guess I'll check out a couple of the nearby gyms and revisit Primal Blueprint Fitness. Since I posted this I came across a review of Curves by a physical therapist and they were not too hot on it for a number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                My doctor recommended weight training to correct bone density issues. I find the whole arena of weights and macho gyms intimidating and wonder what is the simplest way to get into the zen of it? I got halfway through Body for Life by Bill Phillips and am not feeling it! The tone was too rah, rah for me and looking at the equipment and exercises really turns me off.

Is Curves routine adequate for resistance training for my purposes?
                I can just tell you what I've heard about curves and that is that they hurry you around the circuit.
                Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

Originally posted by Violette View Post
                  I can just tell you what I've heard about curves and that is that they hurry you around the circuit.
                  That part is not true you go through the circuit at your own pace. I belonged to a Cures knock-off a couple of years ago and loved it until they went out of business. I'm just not sure whether the actual exercises are considered good resistance training by today 's standards. I loved the non-intimidating all-female sense of the place. Very novice- friendly.

Comment

i went to a free visitor pass to curves with my sister since she was a member, unless things have changed in the last few years you are rushed through each station every minute

it's essentially cardio circuit training unless you have zero muscle tone
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

Do you have ankle weights? Also some very light dumbbells to start with... I use the ankle weights twice a week and on other days the dumbbells. So, I do gentle stretches each morning, some yoga and pilates, then on Tues and sat do upper body with dumbbells. On mon and fri I do lower body with the ankle wts.

Since I have FMS, I started out easy. I used to teach a senior exercise class in Santa Monica so I started with those exercises. There are all sorts of controversies about what works exercise wise for osteoporosis but they all agree that you want to keep moving. And bone does respond to stress douse those weights.

You can find an osteoporosis group at the YWCA or such if you haven't done that yet. Good luck kiddo. Walking is good weight bearing exercise.
                      Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

Pick up something heavy (you can determine what 'heavy' means, it should be relatively hard to lift) then put it down, do this a couple of times a week.

Weight training doesn't have to be tailored to gender or age. It only need be scaled based on fitness level. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but whoever tells you "this is appropriate for a 50 year old woman" is just selling you wolf tickets. I'm probably going to workout in very similar way 24 years from now (when I'll be 50) than I do today.

That being said, the PBF plan is excellent (for anybody) so give that a go.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post

Weight training doesn't have to be tailored to gender or age. It only need be scaled based on fitness level. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but whoever tells you "this is appropriate for a 50 year old woman" is just selling you wolf tickets. I'm probably going to workout in very similar way 24 years from now (when I'll be 50) than I do today.
                          NO, NO, NO!!! If you're having bone density issues, do not, do not, do not just go in and start lifting heavy things. That's a recipe for a fracture. Find a class or a trainer who is experienced in dealing with these issues. Once you have the bone density issue worked out, then I'd agree that there's nothing magical about a particular workout, but fix the immediate problem first.

Comment

Isn't lifting heavy a pretty good for making bones denser though? I did mention "heavy FOR YOU" which could mean "start out light, and progress to heavy" and that should take care of the bone density, tendon, joint strength, etc...
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

For people without bone density issues, yes. For someone with bone density issues, you can't just jump in, even starting out light. You need someone who knows what they're doing to help you along.

Comment

Working...
                              X