How to be primal in the gym

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to be primal in the gym

I will be going back to school soon and I will be using the gym, how could I be primal in the gym? Should I do 15 minutes cardio before weight training for half an hour? Do I stretch after cardio before weight training or after weight training? Thank you for the time
    I realize now, we are no different than our ancestors from millenniums ago. We are just cavemen with technology.

I wouldn't do more than about 5 minutes of nonspecific "cardio" (biking/running) before weight lifting. I find 5 minutes on a bike gets me pretty warmed up for lifting. Dedicate a day for HIIT sprints (again, biking or running).

Comment

Originally posted by Conner P. View Post
      I wouldn't do more than about 5 minutes of nonspecific "cardio" (biking/running) before weight lifting. I find 5 minutes on a bike gets me pretty warmed up for lifting. Dedicate a day for HIIT sprints (again, biking or running).
      How long does sprinting last? For 10 minutes or less?
      I realize now, we are no different than our ancestors from millenniums ago. We are just cavemen with technology.

Comment

Thoughts on the Paleo/Evolutionary Eating and Exercise Trends | Drew Baye's High Intensity Training

Comment

Hey I can suggest you the program I am currently on and that I find really awesome, especially if you want to strenghten your core (and who does not want to...):

the New Rules of Lifting for Abs

Comment

Have you read the PB Fitness e-book? Start there.

Comment

Sure, love to here what you do.

Comment

Maintain the base principles of Primal Blueprint Fitness, and you can pretty much do anything (im using this term very lightly) that caters to your needs.

In reguards to warming up, I suggest you use a concept2 rower and find a nice and even pace, 5 min max. The rower will effectively warm up your entire body.

if its your lift heavy day, the essential exercise for building raw strength and power is the dead lift. In fact, if you want a complete beginners 'heavy lifting' workout, look into Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It is, in my opinion, the mecca of heavy lifting. It will teach you the very technical details of proper weight lifting that is very essential to anyone going to a gym.

For intense days, you can't go wrong with crossfit, or develop your own workouts based on crossfit curriculum/exercises. If you are looking for effectiveness and efficiency with your workouts, I suggest utilizing a modified tabata protocol, which is what I use.

If the tabata protocol interests you, and you are JUST getting back into the gym, start with 1-2 tabata rounds, a round consisting of 8 sets, with each set being 20sec work and 10sec rest = 4-8 min of intense work. The numbers may seem small, but if done properly with high intensity, YOU WILL FEEL IT. Gradually build your way up to 4-5 tabata rounds and you will have a very intense workout within 16-20 min.
                Last edited by achilles.kealoha; 08-03-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Most people want to be stronger, faster, more flexible and injury free...

Strength train
                  Sprint
                  Stretch

Mon - Strength train
                  Wed - Hill Sprints
                  Fri - Strength train
                  Sa or Su - Yoga

Comment

I wouldn't waste any time warming up with cardio in the gym.It uses up a proportion of the body's natural recovery reserve. Warm up on the machines specific to what your doing. shoulder press, row ect. As for stretching i dont usually bother either. I increase flexibility through doing a full range of movement with weights. Sprinting should be done on another day when you feel fresh

Comment

Originally posted by robwa1984 View Post
                      I wouldn't waste any time warming up with cardio in the gym.
                      I agree with not wasting time doing CARDIO, but its far more beneficial to engage movements/exercises that are light enough to not tap into energy reserves, yet intense enough to get the blood flowing. The Concept2 WILL engage most muscles, as it is a fullbody movement. You dont have to perform the exercise at intense levels; just enough to warm you up, and 5 min at light-moderate intensity will probably not even make you break a sweat.

As our good friend Tallahassee says in Zombieland: "You ever see a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelle?"

no, the lion doesn't stretch before the kill. But the lion does prowl and stalk its pray prior to attack, which in itself serves as a warm up. I agree with not stretching, as you reduce the ballistic tension in your muscle fibers, yet warming up is very essential to prevent muscle spasms from occuring. Grok did get started from a resting state, forcing him to take an intense form of action ON OCCASION, yet most of the time, Grok was probably 'limbered up' from his daily activities.

Comment

Hahaha, the lion quote made me rolling on the floor I could just imagine a lion jogging around the Serengeti and the gazelle are like wth? That's true tho, the answers are right in front of us with nature. I just want to do what is best for my body in the best way possible. Thank you for your time

Comment

[QUOTE=achilles.kealoha;529636]I agree with not wasting time doing CARDIO, but its far more beneficial to engage movements/exercises that are light enough to not tap into energy reserves, yet intense enough to get the blood flowing. The Concept2 WILL engage most muscles, as it is a fullbody movement. You dont have to perform the exercise at intense levels; just enough to warm you up, and 5 min at light-moderate intensity will probably not even make you break a sweat.

Its a good theory and i admit that if i have a stiff back or feel i need to loosen up then i would do exactly the same. How ever. If your weight training. Doing a specific exercise which is identical to your working set would surely be more beneficia.it supplies more blood to that body part, gets the heart rate up. and prepares ligaments and tendons in that area for exercise. Cartilages within joints thicken if warmed up specifically which will increase protection. I think the cycling,despite it being very low key. Will take a degree of the body's limited recovery recourses

Comment

don't go to the gym....go outside and kick your own ass!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X