Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by chima_p View Post
    My god. I think the biggest reason that women don't get the results they want is because they make themselves believe that running after my 3 yr old, lifting groceries and Barre or yoga classes are exercise. Look at any of the women here that have had the best success and you will find someone who has hit the iron. Not iron that is coated in pink and baby blue polypropylene either. If you can do it more than 20 min it's not exercise (LHT!). It's called "play" if you like it and "work" if you don't.
    +1 And I have done LOTS of ballet, jazz and modern classes. I definitely don't classify barre work as LHT, but if it works for you, that's great!
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
      +1 And I have done LOTS of ballet, jazz and modern classes. I definitely don't classify barre work as LHT, but if it works for you, that's great!
      I should be more specific- when I say "barre", I mean Bar Method/Barre 3/Pure Barre, which are sustained, isometric and bodyweight work that, although somewhat based on certain dance movements, is not the same thing as dance classes. It's more intense and, depending on the method, uses weights in addition to bodyweight. Your muscles absolutely burn and shake and your heart pounds.
      http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

      Comment


      • Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
        I should be more specific- when I say "barre", I mean Bar Method/Barre 3/Pure Barre, which are sustained, isometric and bodyweight work that, although somewhat based on certain dance movements, is not the same thing as dance classes. It's more intense and, depending on the method, uses weights in addition to bodyweight. Your muscles absolutely burn and shake and your heart pounds.
        OK! Never done it, so I'll have to take your word for it!
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

        Comment


        • I've also taken lots of dance classes over the years (flamenco, middle eastern, hip hop, Tahitian), so I know what coming out of dance class feels like and how my body feels the next day. I was shaking so much at both ends in that class yesterday that I thought a couple of times I was going to fall. I'm not sure what exactly happened afterwards, but I was so chilled and shivering that I put on a big sweater and my space heater at my desk; maybe I was a little in shock (?). This is WAY more hardcore than any mamby-pamby dance class. All I can say is those women in that class have the arms I've always wanted and have never had. 42 years old seems like a good time to finally attain them.
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

          Comment


          • Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
            I should be more specific- when I say "barre", I mean Bar Method/Barre 3/Pure Barre, which are sustained, isometric and bodyweight work that, although somewhat based on certain dance movements, is not the same thing as dance classes. It's more intense and, depending on the method, uses weights in addition to bodyweight. Your muscles absolutely burn and shake and your heart pounds.
            Haha, thanks for proving my point.

            Better than sitting on the couch watching 2 and a half men I suppose.
            Don't be a paleotard...

            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

            Comment


            • Originally posted by chima_p View Post
              Haha, thanks for proving my point.

              Better than sitting on the couch watching 2 and a half men I suppose.
              Sorry, but I don't get what you're trying to say.

              That bodyweight workouts are pointless?
              Durp.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by chima_p View Post
                Haha, thanks for proving my point.

                Better than sitting on the couch watching 2 and a half men I suppose.
                Um, what?
                http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                  Sorry, but I don't get what you're trying to say.

                  That bodyweight workouts are pointless?
                  Depending on context, usually. There are easier ways to get twice the results in a quater of the time but most women have a misconception they are going to bulk in the process.
                  Don't be a paleotard...

                  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

                  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

                  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

                  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by chima_p View Post
                    Depending on context, usually. There are easier ways to get twice the results in a quater of the time but most women have a misconception they are going to bulk in the process.
                    Many women do, but I don't. Before I was doing this, I was doing kettlebells and I def. got fast results with minimal time and effort. I still do some kettlebell training, but I like isometric workouts because they're very efficient and give a different sort of definition (less round looking) than what I was doing before, and they target muscles not targeted as efficiently by other workouts (like the triceps, for example).

                    Are you a guy, perchance?
                    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                      Many women do, but I don't. Before I was doing this, I was doing kettlebells and I def. got fast results with minimal time and effort. I still do some kettlebell training, but I like isometric workouts because they're very efficient and give a different sort of definition (less round looking) than what I was doing before, and they target muscles not targeted as efficiently by other workouts (like the triceps, for example).

                      Are you a guy, perchance?
                      Me too. I have what would usually be considered a Man Job, and part of it is vaulting over walls, lifting iron gates and the like. I'm one of those people that tells women they're not going to bulk up unless they get on steroids.

                      I'm thinking you're right. It's a guy that believes we all work out with pink 1 pound dumbells.
                      Durp.

                      Comment


                      • For anyone who might be interested, here is an article comparing/contrasting Bar Method, Physique57, and Barre3.

                        Looks like I got extremely lucky by living in Portland .... because Barre3's emphasis on posture and elongation is precisely what I need.

                        Madonna picks barre3 by Sadie Lincoln.* * Which barre workout is right for you? - mizzFIT


                        The comments are interesting and insightful.
                        Last edited by TigerLily; 08-06-2011, 09:42 PM.
                        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                          Me too. I have what would usually be considered a Man Job, and part of it is vaulting over walls, lifting iron gates and the like. I'm one of those people that tells women they're not going to bulk up unless they get on steroids.

                          I'm thinking you're right. It's a guy that believes we all work out with pink 1 pound dumbells.
                          I said most not all. I am talking about the same women you tell that they are not going to bulk up if they do anything more intense than the yogaspinzumba class.
                          Don't be a paleotard...

                          http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

                          http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

                          http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

                          http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by chima_p View Post
                            I said most not all. I am talking about the same women you tell that they are not going to bulk up if they do anything more intense than the yogaspinzumba class.
                            You know we ran those chicks off a long time ago, chima.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                            Comment


                            • You know I did classical ballet for over 10 years when I was younger, and every week had an extra lesson called warm up, which is the same as these barre method exercises. To be honest I was at a very good school and was with many that went professional. There were many with really good physiques and very good muscle development, and there were some strong thighs.

                              I think the shape that you get from something like Barre 3 or the bar method is what makes it different. Changing your muscles like this will take time but I certainly think for women generally that the muscles look great.

                              I am nearly 40 and as I lose weight I can see the ballet muscles coming back from when I was younger and they look good. I consider myself very lucky that my mother sent me to a good ballet school as it has been a benefit that I will carry for the rest of my life.

                              Tigerlily it sounds like you have a great class and my only piece of advice is make sure the teacher pays attention to you and your posture as there are a lot of teachers of dance and yoga that do not have a single notion of correct posture. Ask questions.

                              This is of course not spot reducing, but if you have underdeveloped or not the best shaped muscles (and I do believe it helps with shape) then there is nothing wrong with doing some focused exercises, that will be revealed as fat is lost.

                              Of course there are limits as to change but I think most people (including men) would see good changes if they included regular isometric / barre exercises.

                              Do not compare these type of exercises with your weekly dance class in the church hall, they are not the same.

                              Another great exercise if you have a body of water near you is to tread water, great for arms and legs. And 50 ballet plies a day in second position.

                              I must say I am a little surprised at some of the comments. Just because n=1 does not mean you cannot be open minded.

                              Thanks for posting the you tube clips.
                              Life. Be in it.

                              Comment


                              • Body weight exercises are proven time and time again, old school effective. Do you really think tribes are jetting themselves off to the local goodlife to rock-out with a bunch of dumbells? Obviously the best goal is to get anyone off the couch but, chima, lets see you drop down and do proper 1-arm push-ups or pistol squats. Functional strong is what strength should be about. Being able to do those things will give you the body (and useful) strength that you need.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X