Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leida View Post
    The person who invented low wasteline for women in pants is a genius as far as I am concerned. The only cut I can wear.

The inches as the clothes desiners imagine them are totally unrepresentative of a woman's figure in my view. The waist vs thighs is really off, and don't start me on the designers' idea of a height of anyone who wears S. I mean, don't they seriously think that everyone who wears S is 5'2" and no taller? Stupid.
    Right there with you. The only problem I run into is even thougth they have created low waist lines, they think that person as no butt either!

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
      Thigh fat is harder to lose because of the type of fat receptors (alpha 2)- they're different than on other parts of the body. Those receptors don't easily let fat back out of the cells. People with stubborn belly fat have the same receptor issue, just in a different location.

One thing that I think would help would be to do isometric body weight barre-type exercises. They're intense and they work the quads and hamstrings very deeply and they tend to make the muscles very dense and compact, as opposed to big and expanded (yes, different types of conditioning really do produce a different shape to the muscle). Also, working the quads so intensely is good for overall fat burning, as it's the largest muscle in the body. They won't bulk with this kind of work as long as they're properly stretched.

I'm a huge fan of The Bar Method (I use the dvds). It has definitely changed my thighs (which are one of the last things to change). I still have more work to do, but they're getting slimmer and now have "angles" to them that they've never had and I have a definition line down the outside that I've never had before! My saddlebags have really shrunk, too (it's also done great things for my arms- they're looking really cut and no more batwings)
      Netflix has the dvds if you'd like to try them.
      OOOOOOooooooo! I will definitely check these out. Are they instant, or just the DVD's?

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
        Awww *blush*! I feel like I'm on a never ending quest to find what works and so many things don't, so when I find something that actually does, I get really excited! My main issues are follow-through and patience. I guess I'm a magical thinker- always believing that there must be an answer out there SOMEWHERE!
        Belly fat is my biggest nemesis and I've had such little luck with it until recently, when I started correcting my low progesterone (with sublingual progesterone) and doing the Dr. Kruse leptin protocol (mainly for hormonal benefits). Holy cannoli! It's truly helping my love handles to shrink and I've gone down a belt notch in a few weeks without feeling like I was even trying. I feel like with Bar Method and the leptin/hormone thing, I have a shot at having my body finally look how I want it to for the first time in my adult life.

PS-I'll def. let everyone know if I manage to crack the elusive code to getting rid of cellulite I'm trying some things right now- I just have to stick with them!
        Hazyjane, what is this lepton/hormone thing you are talking about? Details please?

Comment

Originally posted by sarahz View Post
          I would love to know the answer to the thigh question, as I have been working out for so long (something like 15 years) and no matter how many lunges or squats or spin classes or whatever I do I still have fat, jiggly thighs.
          Adding muscle to your legs will not make them leaner. Unfortunately, you can't lose fat in just one spot by exercising that area.

Because of my job, I have leg muscles so strong that I have trouble wearing normal jeans, but that still does nothing to get rid of the fat. The fat just covers up the muscle, so what you need to do is lower your body fat in general. to uncover the muscle.
          Durp.

Comment

Get the surgery Dr. House had.

In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
              Get the surgery Dr. House had.

you mean where he dug into his leg by himself to get a tumor out!?!?!

Comment

Back to the Bar Method:
                I saw my physical therapist and chiropractor this morning and asked them about this. It turns out they BOTH go to Barre 3 here in Vancouver and think it's a fantastic idea for my awful posture. My PT hooked me up with a free first class! I told her I wouldn't be able to go to class regularly, although that is my preference, because it's so expensive and I have $$$ medical expenses still. She thinks it's important to go to the first class to make sure my form is correct (and I agree), but then she said the DVD would be fine.

So, if you're like me and are really in need of some posture work, both a physical therapist and a chiropractor think the Bar Method would be great for that.

/threadjack
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                  Back to the Bar Method:
                  I saw my physical therapist and chiropractor this morning and asked them about this. It turns out they BOTH go to Barre 3 here in Vancouver and think it's a fantastic idea for my awful posture. My PT hooked me up with a free first class! I told her I wouldn't be able to go to class regularly, although that is my preference, because it's so expensive and I have $$$ medical expenses still. She thinks it's important to go to the first class to make sure my form is correct (and I agree), but then she said the DVD would be fine.

So, if you're like me and are really in need of some posture work, both a physical therapist and a chiropractor think the Bar Method would be great for that.

/threadjack
                  Awesome to hear! I just ordered a Bar Method DVD

Comment

Which one did you get, NDF?

hazyjane: any particular DVD recommendations, or ones to steer clear of?

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
                      Hazyjane, what is this lepton/hormone thing you are talking about? Details please?
                      Leptin is the master hormone secreted by the hypothalamus and it's the hormone that allows us to release fat from our fat cells. Many people have some degree of leptin resistance- esp. if they can't seem to lose weight, no matter what. Leptin controls all downstream hormones, including insulin, cortisol, thyroid and sex hormones (which I'm trying to improve).

Here's the actual guidelines (and I suggest reading Dr. Kruse's other blog articles, too- they're great!)
                      Here's the giant leptin thread here at MDA:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html
                      Last edited by hazyjane; 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM.
                      http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Which one did you get, NDF?

hazyjane: any particular DVD recommendations, or ones to steer clear of?
                        I've been alternating between the two that Netflix has (I burned copies- shhhhh!), which are Fat-Free and Designer Sculpting. These are both great for beginners and Designer Sculpting is a little harder. I'd like to get one of the new ones- I know that Dancer's Body is supposedly as hard as an actual Bar class and Accelerated Workout is more advanced than the two I have. I'm waiting a little to work up because you end up super sore when you overdo Bar (sore in odd places like the outer corners of your butt, lol!)

Looks like they discontinued the DVD's I have (maybe they replaced them with newer ones?): Bar Method Exercise DVDs and Accessories
                        Their prices are a lot better than Amazon's!

Comment

Back to the Bar Method:

/threadjack
                          That's so great! It really can help lower back/posture problems, big-time, as long as your form is correct.
                          You might check into any intro deals they have. I'm def. signing up for the one month intro deal when Bar Nashville opens and then I'll just continue with dvds from there.
                          Last edited by hazyjane; 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I noticed that the prices at barmethod.com are quite a bit cheaper than Amazon, even factoring in shipping costs. I've narrowed it down to the ones that Burr (the woman with the short blonde hair in the first video linked here) teaches. The other teachers I've looked at are annoying me already, but I find Burr to be pleasant and she seems good to learn from.

I also saw a short clip on YouTube where Ricki Lake says the Bar Method has completely transformed her body and she says she lost a size in just three weeks.

Comment

Burr is such a pleasant teacher. I like her.
                              Apparently, Bar Method and a low carb diet is what has helped Kelly Osbourne to stay trim (and get a lot trimmer, actually) after Dancing With The Stars. I was sort of shocked at how good she looks lately!

Comment

Oh, really! I knew that her dance partner from the show, Louie, was the one who taught her all about low carb (and apparently several of the dancers on the show eat this way), but I didn't know about her and Bar Method. She is adorable.

Comment

Working...
                                X