X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookie:

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Yup! If you do it right, it really burns and your legs might shake, but you feel so good afterward. I think she's right about the endorphins, because I actually look forward to working out (and that is SO not like me, lol!)
      http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Here's "thigh dancing" which is used in Bar Method. This clip is from Physique 57, which is related to Bar Method (they're both Lotte Berk spin-offs):

Comment

OK, this is really exciting me because it's a way to actually lengthen/elongate the leg muscles, thereby giving the appearance of longer, more slender legs. I'm only 5' 0" but am additionally cursed with short, chunky thighs (damned French blood--there's a reason they were the inventors of French-cut lingerie and bathing suits!).

@hazyjane: I'm much the same way with magical thinking. I KNOW that there is a way to hack the human body--a way to work smarter, not necessarily harder. I will def. have to check into the leptin thing as my belly is for sure my biggest problem area, having been insulin resistant for so long. I appreciate your willingness to n=1 and share the results.

Comment

You really don't want to lose your thighs - how would you stand at all?

I say that because once upon a time a man I was with told me that he had never been with a woman who had muscles before. After a few seconds of thinking about what he said, I asked him how they had managed to stand up.

Fortunately for both of us, he laughed, and said he never really thought about that - we are still good friends.

Comment

When I was doing kettlebells on a regular basis, my thighs were really firm, but they were def. getting bigger. It's nice to have my jeans not fitting so snug in the thighs anymore. I think the stretching really makes a difference in muscle "lengthening". I make sure I really take my time while stretching. When you look at how ballet dancers have long muscles, think about all the time they spend stretching and extending them.

I think these exercises might be a good addition, also. They look easy, but they really tire your legs out! They're based on "deep muscle activation" which is also supposed to build more compact and long muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by eelnus View Post
                Someone posted this on another thread, but seeing her before picture (thighs) really gave me hope because I'm also a pear shape. i think that heavy lifting and high intensity is key (crossfit)

Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness
                That was an awesome, inspiring story!

Comment

Speaking as a personal trainer of 12 years:

I believe the bulkiness of muscles has more to do with muscle mass, genetics and carb loading than with stretching.

I am doing the same quad exercises I was doing pre-Primal (squats & dancing) and have less "bulk" now because I am lower carb (and lower body fat.)

I am actually stretching far less than I used to, as well (I taught a 45 min stretching class twice a week.)

Glycogen makes muscles look bulky. Fat makes thighs look bulky.

Stretching has very little to do with muscle bulk, IMO.

Female ballet dancers, for the most part, are using bodyweight only--they aren't adding extra weight like kettlebells to their routines (always exceptions to this rule, of course, but you won't find many female ballet dancers in the gym lifting heavy.)
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

That first exercise from the Bar Method is a total rip-off of Callan Pinckney’s Callanetics, lol. Though the hair is a little better. I used to do the same exercises, and they are effective. I just came to a point where I wanted more of a challenge, which is how I got into squat, lunges, etc.
                    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctus Real View Post
                      That first exercise from the Bar Method is a total rip-off of Callan Pinckney’s Callanetics, lol. Though the hair is a little better. I used to do the same exercises, and they are effective. I just came to a point where I wanted more of a challenge, which is how I got into squat, lunges, etc.
                      That "Callanetics" dvd is still one of the best work outs I have ever done! Years ago I loaned it to a friend.....she did the whole workout beginning to end and was super peeved at me because she could hardly walk for almost two weeks she was so sore! She still brings that up every now an again

I have the dvd now and am determined to start doing it again. Nothing works your rear and thighs like she does.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctus Real View Post
                        That's because Callanetics is a rip-off of the Lotte Berk Method. There are a lot of Lotte Berk rip-offs out there. Callan and Bur Leonard of Bar both trained with Lotte back in the 70's. Lotte was a dancer who took dance warmup routines and combined them with orthopedic rehabilitative exercises in the 60's.

Comment

Yeah, "this just seems like Callanetics to me!" occurred to me at first, too, but I don't really know anything about the Bar Method to actually judge, so I kept my mouth shut.

Earlier today, I checked into Bar classes here and they are $$$$. Why so much? The rent is too damn high! I do a whole lot better in a group class environment than left to my own devices at home with a DVD, but it's gonna be the DVD for me at these prices. As someone said recently "...a class for people with more money than sense." heh heh....

I have a friend who SWORE by Callanetics. Said in less than 10 sessions, she noticed a visible difference in her body. (And she was not a small girl.)

Totally off topic, but I am really enjoying my AQUA ZUMBA class (which is included in my gym membership, no extra charge). My gym has an excellent aquatics center, replete with a flowing river track feature upon which to walk or run either downstream or upstream (advanced). It's the only reason I retain my membership.
                          Last edited by TigerLily; 07-30-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                            That's because Callanetics is a rip-off of the Lotte Berk Method. There are a lot of Lotte Berk rip-offs out there. Callan and Bur Leonard of Bar both trained with Lotte back in the 70's. Lotte was a dancer who took dance warmup routines and combined them with orthopedic rehabilitative exercises in the 60's.
                            Ahhh!

Comment

I would love to know the answer to the thigh question, as I have been working out for so long (something like 15 years) and no matter how many lunges or squats or spin classes or whatever I do I still have fat, jiggly thighs. I have decided to start working out less on my legs and start doing the bodyrock tv workouts which are short but higher intensity and much more fun and see what happens! I have the bar method dvds to and whilst I think they are good, I get bored quite easily.
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45312.html[SIGPIC]

Comment

Lyle McDonalds has some interesting articles on "stubborn fat" on his site. He recommends (from what I read elsewhere, I do not own the "Stubborn Fat Solution") fasted cardio - some combination of high intensity and steady state and a very elaborate system an what/when to eat. I wouldn´t be dedicated enough to follow it. In my case, high intensity workouts when fasted definitely put my body under stress and increase cortisol...I can, however, relate: At 17% body fat I have a very lean and defined upper body and still a good amount of lower body fat. I chose acceptance and stopped worrying about it. Maybe there is a way to trick genetics but for me it is not worth the struggle. I focus on the good aspects of my body type: A little six pack that was right back a few weeks after giving birth and very defined arms. I think that compensates...

Comment

Working...
                                X