No announcement yet.

Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree that Louisa's shaming is completely uncalled for.

Not only is this an acceptable topic for this forum, it's an acceptable topic. Period.

It is ok for people to try to make themselves in their own image. It is also acceptable for them to say that 'this is how I am, and I've learned to be ok with it, too." And it is acceptable for us to discuss anything and everything in between.

It is not up to you to discern whether or not we are "grateful for what we have" or whether or not what we choose to discuss is "worthy" of discussion. It is not up to you to attempt to shame us from talking about these things because there is suffering in the world that is incomparable to my own (and possibly our own) life experience.

If you truly feel this way, why are YOU here? What do YOU discuss and why is THAT more worthy than comparing to suffering children? Why is your concern about your health, your appearance, your options all A-OK but ours are not?

Ridiculous!

Comment

• Some of us also talk about our 24", or 22", or 18", or whatever as a way of embracing and normalizing what we have. I shared my thigh measurement as part of my statement that my thighs are not small and that they are still beautiful and worth loving anyhow.

The world is full of tragedies, and many of us care very deeply about them, but I understand why in a culture that is so focussed on women's bodies and appearance that women will struggle with whether they are normal, whether their bodies are acceptable to expose in public, and whether they can ever meet a beauty standard that's manufactured in many cases through extreme dieting methods and airbrushing.

It's a fine balance, loving yourself and still wanting to be the best version of yourself (physically and otherwise).
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• true indeed.

honestly, my mind was completely turned around when I saw vintage (from the 60s 70s) playboys. It was the time before airbrushing, before plastic surgery, and before the highly processed hair and a lot of make up became popular. They just looked like lovely, normal girls. my husband was like "why aren't there pictures like this anymore?"

also, watching older movies from the same era -- the time before botox. People had lines on their faces, and were still attractive. It was great.

Comment

• My thighs are 21.5", with 35"-36" hip-thighs right now. Honestly, my waist is the worst atm, expanding to the 27-28" range (eww). I dislike being so fat, but seem unable to check the down-slide towards the over-weight. Argh.

I did my first near max set (2-3 reps) then 7 reps to failure on Saturday (with SQT and BBR). I am not sure if it worked wonders, but I had a nap that Saturday, then slept for 12 hours during the night. I normally sleep <7 hours a night.

But after I overslept, it went downhill - I missed the gym on Sunday (planned strength balancing workout) and ended up vegetating indoors all day and binging in the evening.

Today I plan to do WHEN (hopefully till tomorrow, actually, as my digestion sure needs a break) and then I will be catching up in the gym with the strength balancing workout + a swim. Swimming has been wonderful, I did pretty much effortless 30 min on Friday, front kroll. Need to add another 10 min to that, and then I can start working on flipping at the sides of the pool.
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Leida i always find if i over train, i get tired and things mysteriously come up and i end up bunking off. it's almost like my body is trying to save me in some way. it is quite a balance to get right and i am always stuffing up. i also have found if i overtrain, i drink too much coffee so as i can get thru the rest of my life which leads me to get over stressed which leads me to eat more.

back on topic. i have started doing one legged leg press. reason being my right leg is a whole heap stronger than my left leg and i have been making inroads into correcting this. i have noticed that i use my adductors more leg pressing this way. i can feel them working far more than any other exercise i do at any rate. i am getting into lunges with much heavier weights as well. 18kgs at this stage. time will tell but i am going to keep track of measurements and see if it makes a diff.

Comment

• I did not really overtrain. It is hard to overtrain. I think it was on the money for the effort. It's just the bloody overeating on Sundays, the infamous Sunday night blues. Stoopid.

35 min front kroll yesterday, no problems, but I have to watch shoulders.

Did my first max/failure workout for Deadlifts and OHP. Was very disappointed with the Deadlift. The dynamic stretch is inadequate for me to lift max even to my knees off the bat. I warmed up with 3 lifts on 135 lbs, but still could not shift max. Had to settle for dorky 155 lbs. Did 115 lbs to failure, too light imo.

In the good news, I finally PP'd 75 lbs, so OHP was good, as well as wings/snatches.

Tomorrow I have a late meeting at work, so I will have a luxury of being in the gym till like 7 am, so I am going to do both a strength balancing workout (full this time!) and a quick swim (as much as time allows me). Plus, it's extra 40 or so minutes standing to the daily balance, maybe as much as 2 hours (there and back on the bus, lol)

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                i lied. they are 21.5" my ankle bones knock together too lol i lose my boobs before i lose the thighs so they must be there for a reason.
                LOL. Mine are getting close to 23" and I'm having a total party. After several years at 25+, I'm ready!

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                My thighs are 21.5", with 35"-36" hip-thighs right now. Honestly, my waist is the worst atm, expanding to the 27-28" range (eww). I dislike being so fat
                ITA with the previously mentioned attitude that we're free to aim for fitness and attractiveness, but I have to wonder if your standard is unreasonably low? Back when I was 120lb and the fittest I've ever been, with 12%BF, my thighs were still bigger than that (which is why my BF was so low - they don't measure where I carry my fat), and my waist was between 27 & 28" and I looked great. Period.

To each her own ... just be sure you're not overly critical of yourself. It's certainly a little hurtful to me, since I'm struggling to get back down to a 31" waist after so many years of uncontrollable bloating and gall bladder distension, to see 27" described as "so fat" - but you're hardly responsible for my feelings of contentment.

BTW, a LOT of waist measurement depends on torso length. I don't known what yours is, but my torso is very short (meaning I have long legs for my height). There is less than 1/2" between my ribs & top of hip bones. Usually only those with 4" or more space can have very small waists, and it's simply because there is a lot of space to stuff their innards into. Usually those are quite tall women, but not always.

I'm still sticking around here, though, b/c I do think my thigh fat is disproportionate and a sign of hormonal imbalance, and I'm hoping to see an answer one day.
                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• It's certainly a little hurtful to me, since I'm struggling to get back down to a 31" waist after so many years of uncontrollable bloating and gall bladder distension, to see 27" described as "so fat" - but you're hardly responsible for my feelings of contentment.
                  this was the reason i posted my height and leg length when i put how much my thighs were as it is all relative. I was going to try upping my fish oil along with all the leg pressing and lunging to see what happened as i have read eating more omega 3s helps. but then xmas is looming and i need the money for other things. i would say too that despite the theory we cant spot reduce, all my fat is on the parts of my body i dont move that much. like the lower part of my abdomen and to a certain extent my inner thighs altho i have been making special efforts to concentrate on how they are working and focus on them up hills when i walk for the last week or so. i did once btw, and this it totally anecdotal and i was much younger then, go thru a phase of doing incredibly high reps of hamstring curls with a lowish but not too light weight. 120 reps sorta range. and i did lose an inch off my thighs in a week.

Comment

• To each her own ... just be sure you're not overly critical of yourself. It's certainly a little hurtful to me, since I'm struggling to get back down to a 31" waist after so many years of uncontrollable bloating and gall bladder distension, to see 27" described as "so fat" - but you're hardly responsible for my feelings of contentment.
                    I am comparing to myself only a few months back when I was 118-120 lbs, and ~ 25" waist. I dunno, if my standards are too high, but atm I have a VERY protruding gut, like I am 5 months pg. I know a lot of it is the persistent bloat after last Sunday's eating, but what will be left is still far too much if I stick to high 120's. I have never measured leg length and stuff. I am 169 cm that comes to 5'6 and 1/2" tall, 37 yo and have 1 child.

I dunno, I just feel I look squat right now, but I truly love my shoulders and ankles. I know that I feel better (perform better, sleep better) but imo I look much worth than at 118 lbs. And I thought I was heavier than I should be at 118 lbs. So, i am divided. Love what my body can do, don't like the gut and the saddlebags on the outer thigh and really do not want to switch to Sz 8-Sz 12s, I threw them all out, and Sz4-6 starting to get too tight.

Comment

• curtsey lunges are supposed to work on the saddlebags on the outer thigh. i dont really have any saddlebags anymore and i do them with 2 x 21kg weights. one in each hand. 20 reps either side. i drop the weights from trying to hold them that long before my legs give out. or i do 2 minute blocks of curtsey lunges with 6kg weights in either hand as i dont have any heavier dumbells at home. i have been planning to try them holding a 5kg and 6kg in each hand to make a total of 11kg per hand at some stage but it will be a bit of a juggling act with the manual dexterity bit.

Comment

• In addition to Mama-Grok's comments, we should bear in mind that gaining muscle in the abdominal area (which is a very positive primal thing) does increase waist circumference. I experienced my waist measurement increasing while my weight was falling. If I recall correctly I lost about 10 lbs while gaining an inch on my waist, because I was doing a lot of exercise that built my abs.

And yes - bloating for whatever reason unrelated to body fat can easily add an inch or too. Sometimes the tape measure can lie just as much as the scales do!
                        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

• Dupe post.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

• Leida is too hard on herself. She also starves herself. Check out the calories in her journal sometime.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• I started eating more and gained 10 lbs in 5 or so months. So, i guess, I was eating normal amounts of food for me and I am overeating now.

Comment

• I'm aware of Leida's calorie intake as journalled, and I would say it's not unusually low as far as this forum goes. I see a lot of people here utilising low carb essentially for low-cal dieting.

I believe that Leida would benefit from focusing on cycling calories out while keeping calories in fairly stable. I say this because she is a fit active woman of child-bearing age.

Comment

Working...
                                X