Barbell Throw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbell Throw

I was experimenting, and I think I invented a new workout (or at least independently discovered it... ). I call it the barbell throw. It's simple enough, use a gymnastics barbell, and launch it from your chest as far as you can. I would usually clean it (deadlift dynamically), and throw. Just make sure it's not going to hit anything... lol, and maybe do this outside in a big stretch of grass, or other soft ground.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Are you suggesting that you invented throwing?
    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
    Brute Force Sandbags
    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Honestly sounds unnecessarily dangerous ? A push-press is essentially the same thing but with a bigger weight and without the bar leaving your hands. The force applied in both should be similar, only with a lighter bar the gravitational force is lower than with a heavier weight and the result is velocity at the end of the ROM.

Edit: Just read your post again and think I misunderstood Thought you were throwing it straight up and then catching it again. Still seems like the bar would be damaged though?
      Last edited by Pandadude; 07-28-2011, 03:52 AM.

Comment

I get the fun aspect for sure. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
          Are you suggesting that you invented throwing?
          No... but I never heard of anyone doing the same thing as this. Who cares if it's not original or whatever... I think it's fun and very effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
            Still seems like the bar would be damaged though?
            Depends on how the barbell is made. Some are made to withstand falls from 6-8 feet.

Comment

you mean like a thruster?

Comment

Originally posted by joelwlcx View Post
                Depends on how the barbell is made. Some are made to withstand falls from 6-8 feet.
                Not quite. Even good bars will bend if they fall on one end first. If you want to throw something I would suggest a medicine ball, sandbag, boulder, friend (into the pool), enemy (into the jaws of the mighty Sarlacc ).... Respect the bar, please.

Comment

I invented the barbell.
                  The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                  Blog
                  sigpic

Comment

No... but I never heard of anyone doing the same thing as this. Who cares if it's not original or whatever... I think it's fun and very effective.
                    I'd say there are some better things to throw than a barbell but I get where you're coming from. How have you tested that it's "very effective"?
                    Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                      I'd say there are some better things to throw than a barbell but I get where you're coming from. How have you tested that it's "very effective"?
                      More of a (n=1) thing, but it's effective for me as in I improved the power (dynamic strength) in my chest muscles. I never thought of medicine balls, stupidly enough... lol. But then again, you can adjust to whatever position you want, rather with a balls, it's pretty much one position (unless your using two smaller ones)

So far, with soft ground, and lots of small weights on each side (four 10's and a five) rather than one 45, I have avoided damage to the barbell... but I wouldn't be surprised if it did break... lol

Comment

a fancy gym membership or a lot of expensive equipment. Just get yourself a pair of dumbbells and you can benefit from weight training. This Web site contains dumbbell exercises for every body part as well as many full dumbbell routines. Dumbbells are great to exercise with because they force you to control the weight. When you weight train on a machine the resistance is perfectly balanced for you. Dumbbells exercises demand that you use smaller stabilizer muscles in every movement. They are considered a free weight exercise and give your muscle a larger range of motion and as well as more freedom.

dumbbell exercises In a lot of ways dumbbell exercises are even better than barbells. The reason for this is because dumbbell force parts of your body to work on their own causing each specific muscle to experience the same weight. When you use barbells it's easier for a stronger muscle to dominate and help the weaker muscles complete the lift. Over time this can lead to an unbalance. Dumbbells help you develop symmetry.

Comment

More of a (n=1) thing, but it's effective for me as in I improved the power (dynamic strength) in my chest muscles. I never thought of medicine balls, stupidly enough... lol. But then again, you can adjust to whatever position you want, rather with a balls, it's pretty much one position (unless your using two smaller ones)

So far, with soft ground, and lots of small weights on each side (four 10's and a five) rather than one 45, I have avoided damage to the barbell... but I wouldn't be surprised if it did break... lol
                          Sandbags work well for this too - with the added benefit that you can load them much heavier than the average med. ball
                          Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

i agree with coach. make yourself a sandbag. tossing a barbell around is simply not a good idea, no matter how you look at it. why risk breaking/bending a bar?

Comment

I do something similar in the gym but with a 6kg medicine ball. I stand about 10 feet away from a concrete wall then hurl it at a high point on the wall, which then rebounds with one bounce on the floor and straight into my hands. I'll alternate left handed and right handed throws and try and hit the same spot each time. Start with a lighter ball to begin with and work your way up and try to go faster without losing accuracy.
                              Starting weight: 104.5 kg / 230 lbs (29th July 2011)
                              100.5kg / 221 lbs (5th August 2011)
                              Currently: 99.2kg / 218.6 lbs (23rd September 2011)

Twitter: @jon404

Comment

Working...
                              X