Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P90x

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • P90x

    so I am in my last week of p90x, and have been converting to primal/paleo for a month, and now I want to know where to go from here. My goal is to look like a spartan off 300 and I thought p90x was the right way to do that, and I have gotten mixed results. I started and finished p90x just to see if I could, and reflecting I am now able to do more pull ups push ups and lift heavier weights all around. Despite loseing a few pounds I am still very far away from my goal, and thought it would be a good idea to post this question to MDA

    Grok on
    TraceurX

  • #2
    I did two rounds of P90x and looking back it was great to get me started but definitely can lead to overtraining. Of course diet being 75-80% of the solution is what really makes people look like the folks on the infomercial.

    After my second round I went on a linear strength program (SL 5x5) 2-3X/week and stuck with that for close to 7 months coupled with sprint sessions or other HIIT workouts and 80% Primal/Paleo eating. The results during that show much more than the 180 days of P90x but I did focus a lot more on nutrition. We just recently started CrossFit.

    If you like the P90x format, go through and dump all the isolation exercises and make the workouts consist of the compound and body weight exercises. This will shorten them and allow better recovery -- more Primal IMO.

    Another option would be to go on a Starting Stength type program coupled with spot-on nutrition and HIIT/sprint workouts. I would actually lean towards that and then go to the reduced P90x suggested above after you have made significant progress with a linear strength program.

    JMHO
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TraceurX View Post
      so I am in my last week of p90x, and have been converting to primal/paleo for a month, and now I want to know where to go from here. My goal is to look like a spartan off 300 and I thought p90x was the right way to do that, and I have gotten mixed results. I started and finished p90x just to see if I could, and reflecting I am now able to do more pull ups push ups and lift heavier weights all around. Despite loseing a few pounds I am still very far away from my goal, and thought it would be a good idea to post this question to MDA
      P90X, Insanity and Similar Nonsense | Drew Baye's High Intensity Training

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't completely throw out isolation exercises. Dont get me wrong, I love my compounds, but I haven't been able to work my muscle well with just compound exercises. My muscles (upper body) tire out before they really get used to the point to induce growth. So I do my compounds, and then finish off with isolations to finsh fatiguing my muscles (again, upper body only. legs are alot easier to go all out with on squats and deadlifts).

        Comment


        • #5
          I do the power 90 3-4 and 5-6 to avoid chronic cardio.
          I don't want my cortisol raised any higher than it already is.
          Last year I had amazing success losing body fat but at the cost of muscle loss.
          I was on a strict diet that my doctor gave me and swam 4 hours a night every night.

          Ugh I want to go back to 280 and cut back down and be leaner.. Too bad that's not possible while being in Keto/Primal. Unless I want to Gomad then go back to Keto/Primal..

          Comment


          • #6
            In my 2 rounds of P90X, I realized the only way I felt I could do P90X was by relying on their recovery formula. Well, then I figured out I am a compulsive overeater and should give up sugar and unnatural potions. Now I will work out more organically. I might steal some of the larger movements from P90X at some point (they have an excellent manual) for shorter workouts. I am grateful that Primal is teaching me (showing me/reminding me) to go OUTSIDE!

            So shorter sandbag/kettlebell/TRX workouts in store for me.

            Good luck!





            Comment


            • #7
              For me personally I hate the cardio p90x workouts, but love the weight lifting. I love to lift heavy things and push my muscles to their best. The only problem being I do not have a gym membership. Does anyone have any suggestions relateing to the fact that I only have free weights? Would crossfit be a good idea?

              Comment


              • #8
                Just woke up and realized I made a point about nutrition but never really expanded.

                All the actors in 300 were very lean. In order to do that you're going to need to set up a calorie deficit. Of course you want to avoid grains and legumes, but I you also may consider cutting out dairy, nuts and fruit as well until you get down to your target BF%.

                My other reference to eliminating isolation exercises still stands as well. If you look at the actors most were not "bulky" but rather had long and lean muscles that were built in balance -- compound exercises and whole-body workouts are the way to go with that IMO. You really could do this with PBF or using your free weights (I'm assuming DBs since you did P90X) and doing a short and intense workout (15-20 minutes).

                The Original 300 workout was actually a benchmark challenge that was done at the culmination of the training the actors received. Men's Health has an article with the routine and some scaled versions as well 300 Workout: The muscle building workout used by the cast of the movie | Men's Health. They are very CrossFit/PBF-esque if you ask me. Also, if you Google "300 Spartan Workout" WebMD has a good article on the background and how individual actors different programs based on their foundation as they worked towards this benchmark.

                BTW, looking like a Spartan is my goal too...hence my avatar LOL.
                Last edited by Charlie Golf; 07-28-2011, 06:19 AM.
                iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

                Comment


                • #9
                  1 round of P90X with all the Plyo, Yoga, CardioX, kenpo, etc removed, and the workouts cut in half is a good beginner workout. 3 days 30 minutes for about 3 months, calories set up for desired goal, and then it's time to move on. By then, one should understand form, how to breathe, that high volume workouts blow,and 90 minutes a week(let alone 6 hours) is over kill. Do the job right and save yourself 60-75 minutes a week.

                  Or, you can eat like a monster and do a 6 day split for 3 months provided you have the recovery ability. If you have the right stuff(genetics and recovery), rare, you'll have no problem looking like a Spartan or Hercules.

                  YOUR GOAL IS SET WAY TO HIGH!!!!

                  You need to set attainable goals on the way to that end goal which may not even be attainable with your specific genetics.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TraceurX View Post
                    For me personally I hate the cardio p90x workouts, but love the weight lifting. I love to lift heavy things and push my muscles to their best. The only problem being I do not have a gym membership. Does anyone have any suggestions relateing to the fact that I only have free weights? Would crossfit be a good idea?
                    Injuries - CrossFit Discussion Board
                    All Muscle, No Iron

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So I read on the Gym Jones site that these actors never preformed the same workout twice, is it a good idea to switch up my workout every time I do it? Or every week? Again my limitations being that I have a pull up bar and free weights.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think you would be a good candidate for a Starting Strength type linear progression 2-3x per week with some HIIT sessions thrown in 1-2x per week plus maybe some active recovery like yoga, hiking, etc. Starting to sound a whole lot like Mark's PBF

                        There's a saying about strength created in a vacuum is only good in a vacuum.

                        Don't neglect the HIIT or the strength you develop from the lifting will only be functional in that modality -- that being slow, heavy, 3-5 rep range. If you don't do some other work at higher intensity and volume, you may look good better but your overall endurance is gonna suck.

                        But again, nutrition is gonna be the key to attaining such a physique and there is no cookie-cutter approach unfortunately -- it all varies by individual.
                        iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Charlie Golf View Post
                          I think you would be a good candidate for a Starting Strength type linear progression 2-3x per week with some HIIT sessions thrown in 1-2x per week plus maybe some active recovery like yoga, hiking, etc. Starting to sound a whole lot like Mark's PBF

                          There's a saying about strength created in a vacuum is only good in a vacuum.

                          Don't neglect the HIIT or the strength you develop from the lifting will only be functional in that modality -- that being slow, heavy, 3-5 rep range. If you don't do some other work at higher intensity and volume, you may look good better but your overall endurance is gonna suck.

                          But again, nutrition is gonna be the key to attaining such a physique and there is no cookie-cutter approach unfortunately -- it all varies by individual.
                          So you are saying I should change up my rep and weight range. But what about exercieces? I know nutrition is important and am being Primal/paleo religiously. I had an idea for a bodyweight hiking bootcamp where I hike to the top of a mountain and then crank out some pull ups one leg push ups pistol squats lunges, and maybe so othere things with rocks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            P90X, or Power 90 Extreme, is a home exercise system developed by Tony Horton in conjunction with Beachbody and director Mason Bendewald. It claims to improve physical fitness in 90 days through a rigorous segmented training program combined with a nutrition and dietary supplement plan.. P90X, or Power 90 Extreme, is a home exercise system developed by Tony Horton in conjunction with Beachbody CEO Carl Daikeler, Beachbody Fitness Advisor Steve Edwards, nutritionist Carrie Wyatt, Creative Director Ned Farr, and workout video director Mason Bendewald of MEGA MACE productions. It claims to significantly improve physical fitness in 90 days through a rigorous segmented training program combined with a nutrition and dietary supplement plan.

                            P90X's advertising emphasizes "muscle confusion", a method of cross-training and periodization achieved through switching the order of exercises and incorporating new and varied movements. Muscle confusion supposedly prevents the body from adapting to exercises over time, resulting in continual improvement without plateaus

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I guess what I am really trying to ask is after p90x what can I do to get a burn?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X