Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Body by science for girls.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body by science for girls.

    Any Primal girls doing this? Do you do it at home, at the gym? What exercises, how many reps, etc?

    How have your results been?
    My Journal

  • #2
    I've been doing a BBS-inspired version of the PB Fitness workout once a week for the last 4 months. Prior to that I was doing the PBF twice a week, per Mark's guidelines,(since Nov 2010.)

    I have progressed on all the exercises. I am now doing level 7 wide/close push-ups, level 4 dead-hang pull-ups/chin-ups, level 8 pistol squats, level 5 handstand, and level 7 spiderman planks. My progression got faster when I went to the once-a-week to "failure" regime.

    And I am strong, but not bulky at all.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

    Comment


    • #3
      Can you describe it more? I've never heard of it, but I'm curious.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
        I've been doing a BBS-inspired version of the PB Fitness workout once a week for the last 4 months. Prior to that I was doing the PBF twice a week, per Mark's guidelines,(since Nov 2010.)

        I have progressed on all the exercises. I am now doing level 7 wide/close push-ups, level 4 dead-hang pull-ups/chin-ups, level 8 pistol squats, level 5 handstand, and level 7 spiderman planks. My progression got faster when I went to the once-a-week to "failure" regime.

        And I am strong, but not bulky at all.
        I don't give a rats ass about the whole girl 'bulky' fear. I wanna be strong and cut! So tell, me how is your PBF inspired by BBS? Do you do higher levels than you could complete the full 50 reps on? For example, I can do about 10 push-ups on my hands and knees, but if I want to do the full PBF sets I have to push-up on a bench. So do I do the harder level for less reps to failure?

        Thanks for sharing your progress, you are kicking ass!!
        My Journal

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kivawolfspeaker View Post
          Can you describe it more? I've never heard of it, but I'm curious.
          I've never read the book, but here is a YouTube video describing BBS using machines:
          ‪BODY BY SCIENCE 7 (THE "BIG 5" WORKOUT)‬‏ - YouTube
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

          Comment


          • #6
            I started BBS on June 21, 2011. I am blogging about it here.

            I am doing it at home using free weights.
            Rebecca

            Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

            Click the banner below to visit my blog:

            sigpic

            Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
            Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
            So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
            Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
            Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kivawolfspeaker View Post
              Can you describe it more? I've never heard of it, but I'm curious.
              You can watch an explanation by the author here. Be sure to progress to video #2 after you watch this first one.
              Rebecca

              Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

              Click the banner below to visit my blog:

              sigpic

              Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
              Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
              So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
              Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
              Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                I don't give a rats ass about the whole girl 'bulky' fear. I wanna be strong and cut! So tell, me how is your PBF inspired by BBS? Do you do higher levels than you could complete the full 50 reps on? For example, I can do about 10 push-ups on my hands and knees, but if I want to do the full PBF sets I have to push-up on a bench. So do I do the harder level for less reps to failure?

                Thanks for sharing your progress, you are kicking ass!!
                I do the exercises super slow and work as close to "positive failure" as I can without hurting myself. For example, I do pistol squats until I am in danger of falling on my ass due to muscle fatigue! I will often throw in a few super-slow regular squats at the end to make sure I have truly squeezed out as many as I can. After my wide/close pushups, I will take a few seconds and then do as many super-slow regular pushups as I can--not many at that point.

                Basically, I want to be a jellyfish at the end of my 10-15 min workout.

                I follow the progression in the PB Fitness pdf. Once I meet or exceed the suggested number of reps for that level, I move up to the next level.

                Definitely work at the hardest level you are at in the progression.

                Also, I do dance "sprints" once a week and walk 1-2 hours daily.

                Moving slowly as often as possible & IF helps me drop my body fat faster than anything else.
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks so much Dragonfly and Rebecca!

                  Rebecca, I have free weights at home but no spotter, well except for my 8 year old who weighs less than I can bench.

                  I love the idea of doing it with bodyweight like Dragonfly does, as it's something I can do at home on my own. I'll give it a go this week.
                  My Journal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                    I love the idea of doing it with bodyweight like Dragonfly does, as it's something I can do at home on my own. I'll give it a go this week.
                    Ditto! Thanks for sharing how you've combined them--totally intriguing!
                    My Before/After Pics
                    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

                    "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                      Basically, I want to be a jellyfish at the end of my 10-15 min workout.
                      I do my lifting in my basement, and I always have a hard time getting up the stairs when I am done. I even have a hard time lifting my arm up to hold the hand rail!
                      Rebecca

                      Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

                      Click the banner below to visit my blog:

                      sigpic

                      Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                      Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                      So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                      Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                      Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                        Thanks so much Dragonfly and Rebecca!

                        Rebecca, I have free weights at home but no spotter, well except for my 8 year old who weighs less than I can bench.
                        If you can afford it, you can get a power rack and set it so that if you fail, the rack will "catch" the weight. I'm broke right now, and using my husband for my "power rack" is cheaper!
                        Rebecca

                        Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

                        Click the banner below to visit my blog:

                        sigpic

                        Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                        Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                        So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                        Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                        Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Disclaimer: I *hate* BBS.

                          If you are looking for something that allows you to do very little work and get returns, BBS is not the absolute worst thing you could do. I personally think that "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" would give most women the results they would prefer. I like "Starting Strength" even more, but think some women are put off my it.

                          There are lots of hotly contested threads on BBS here, with pro-BBS people arguing with those of us who actually train and train people. Most of that was geared towards men, though.
                          Lifting Journal

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Are you suggesting that people like Doug McGuff and Drew Baye are not actually training and training people? Just asking.
                            MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                              I personally think that "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" would give most women the results they would prefer. I like "Starting Strength" even more, but think some women are put off my it.
                              You may have noticed that the OP was asking women (aka "girls") for their personal experience. Not for a guy's opinion. Just sayin'....
                              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X