No announcement yet.

Advice on how to make my own sandbags??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on how to make my own sandbags??

I want to make some sandbags. I would like to have one duffel style bag and a few 10-25 pound bags that I can easily add or remove. What is the best way to make these so they can handle being thrown around and slammed on the ground without busting open? I thought about putting the sand in Ziploc bags and wrapping the entire bag in duct tape. I imagine this would be pretty strong.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

i made a 50 pound bag by putting sand in quart sized sandwich bags, taping the seal, putting them in another sandwich bag, taping that seal, then throwing them all in a duffel style gym bag. i like it because i can take the weight out and add as much as i want to a back pack for pull-up, dips, pushups, etc.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I would look to make several bags like described in this Back to Primal blog post:

Back To Primal: Grip strength bag.

I have used a tire tube to make a bulgarian bag and they are very durable and take a ton of abuse. I think they would be perfect to fit inside your duffel bag

Comment

Thats so cool than someone linked to my blog :-)

I'll be posting and article soon on making larger sandbags. I'll try get back here later today to add some tips, too busy right now.
        www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

I used the same procedure as Primal Rob but my bags busted. I've been looking for tougher bags.... for months. Yeah I haven't been trying too hard. I'm still using it (i fucking love that thing) but with less weight, still challenging though.

Try sandbag hill sprints! actually sandbag anything is better. Sandbag overhead presses...
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I used contractor clean up bags. Double them up, cut what you don't need, use zip ties and duct tape. I made 4 25 pound bags. I then used an army navy sea bag... about 24x36 in with a draw string. Easy to load and unload depending on exercise. Total cost was like 30 usd.

Comment

I bought a 50 lb bag of sand at Home Depot and then wrapped it up (mummy style) with duct tape. It has held up really well. I throw, drop it, and generaly abuse it. It has held up for over 6 months now without breaking open.
              My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

By far the best homemade solution is to just put bags of sand in an old rucksack or bag. This one I made about a year ago and only recently became unusable. I left the sand in the original plastic bags it came in and added a bit of tape for added security.

http://youtu.be/3lBLKM5ptN4
                Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                Brute Force Sandbags
                www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I did a similar bag as arthur above. Canvas duffle filled with contractor trash bags doubled up and filled with 20lbs of water softener salt each. 100lbs total and I haven't taken any out yet. I love to work out with it and I think my total cost was around $25 but only because I had 100lbs worth of salt sitting in my basement.
                  Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                    I bought a 50 lb bag of sand at Home Depot and then wrapped it up (mummy style) with duct tape. It has held up really well. I throw, drop it, and generaly abuse it. It has held up for over 6 months now without breaking open.
                    My only issue with this is the sand is so tightly packed that to me it defeats the purpose of the bag. Have you noticed it "loosen up"? Part of the fun for me is controlling the damn thing. I'm not knocking your approach, just saying, I think keeping it in its original bag takes away from the challenge of the sandbag.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      My only issue with this is the sand is so tightly packed that to me it defeats the purpose of the bag. Have you noticed it "loosen up"? Part of the fun for me is controlling the damn thing. I'm not knocking your approach, just saying, I think keeping it in its original bag takes away from the challenge of the sandbag.
                      Actually I have 2 bags. This one I wanted a little more firm, so It works good for that. It wasn't too tightly packed, so it has some play in it. The other is the same as everyone else. Smaller bags in a canvass duffle bag. With this I have issues with the bags breaking inside. My canvass bag is sealed pretty good and the sand stays in, so it's not really a big problem.
                      My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

I used zip lock bags.. gallon size.. holds about 3-4lbs each. Duct tape them up weigh them and mark with the weight of each. I also put some sand in some old plastic protein drink containers. I like the flexibility in loading what weight I want in whatever bag I have laying around. I got my sand from a hill about a mile away.. walked there loaded up 40lbs and walked back!

Good luck!
                        Living the dream, inside a myth

Comment

I bought 10 empty sandbags, (tough woven plastic bag) for $1 NZ each but I hear you can get them for 25c each in the US. I filled 5 of these with 10kg (22lb) of sand, they could hold twice that but this way allows is to more around a lot. These we tied and duct taped, then double bagged and duct taped them. These filler bags them whet in my duffle bag, and another large platic woven bag. The filler bags are super strong.
                          www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

you should also consider using fills other than sand. wood pellets are a good alternative.

Comment

second the wood pellets. they dont compact like sand. line a military/canvas bag with 2 or 3 hefty trash bags. fill with wood pellets. zip ties and duck tape to close off top. warning: if the wood pellets get wet at all they will turn into saw dust which can get through the bag. line with trash bag if its a concern (you are using your bags inside).

Comment

Working...
                              X