Kettlebells vs DB or Plate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettlebells vs DB or Plate?

I was watching an infomercial the other morning showing a kettlebell workout. The exercises look like fun, but I don't really want to spend money on kettlebells. Is it okay to use a dumbbell or plate instead?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

... or a spring, or a bucket of water, or a bag full of tinned food. Weights are weights! In fact, unpredictable weights are the best - bags of water.
    Paul
    http://www.pjgh.co.uk
    http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

If it was Kettleworx, it's not kettlebell training, it's an injury waiting to happen...

Comment

Lift heavy objects. Lift them in different ways. Move naturally (avoid weight machines). Anything else is for times you have some specific need or goal.

The best workouts are natural workouts. Move a big pile of rocks from point A to point B and back again. That's a GREAT whole-body workout.
        Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by primalclubber View Post
          If it was Kettleworx, it's not kettlebell training, it's an injury waiting to happen...
          Darn it, that's what it was. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
            ... or a spring, or a bucket of water, or a bag full of tinned food. Weights are weights! In fact, unpredictable weights are the best - bags of water.
            That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnk View Post
              Lift heavy objects. Lift them in different ways. Move naturally (avoid weight machines). Anything else is for times you have some specific need or goal.

The best workouts are natural workouts. Move a big pile of rocks from point A to point B and back again. That's a GREAT whole-body workout.
              I use my 3 yr old (and occasionally my 7 yr old) in some of my workouts. They get a kick out of it. I want to learn to do more functional workouts. I saw a link for the PB fitness book--guess it's high time I check it out.

Comment

if you are looking for a "real" KB workout that you can follow along with, check out the Skogg system.
                The instruction is second to none, and it will teach you the six most basic kb exercises:

Swings, Cleans, Snatches, Over Head Presses, High Pulls and Squats.

Skogg System

Comment

Originally posted by gunnk View Post

Preach!
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Stallion View Post
                    if you are looking for a "real" KB workout that you can follow along with, check out the Skogg system.
                    The instruction is second to none, and it will teach you the six most basic kb exercises:

Swings, Cleans, Snatches, Over Head Presses, High Pulls and Squats.

Skogg System
                    I also checked out one of his Youtube workout videos. Wow, he's such a muscular guy and so fast at the same time. Impressive!

Comment

Lifting a 7 year old can be hard! I am a Kettlebell guy but by no means are they the end all be all. You can do swings, snatches and everything else with a dumbell and it won't cost you as much.

There are differences between the two such as how the weight moves around and the thickness of the handle but do you need to buy one to do most of the core things....no

Comment

Yeah, my 7 yr old is getting heavier (63 lbs now) and it's getting harder to lift her. I need to get stronger to keep up with her growth, lol.

I was curious about the thickness of the kettlebell handle and even the handle itself and wondered if it made a big difference. If swings can still be done with a dumbbell, then I'll probably do that at least until I build up some strength and learn the moves better.

Comment

swings sure can be done with a dumbbell as well as clean and jerks, Turkish get ups, snatches, etc.

Kettlebells are a little different in weight distribution and when you get into bigger weights the dumbbells can get a bit strange to use.

Walmart now caries Kettlebells in a variety of weight for a good price......Pavel is a good way to start learning the basics though...would get "Enter the Kettlebell" DVD.

I would not be concerned with handle thickness it just makes it harder.

Comment

I would not do any kind of kettlebell training without learning the basics from a certified trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                              I also checked out one of his Youtube workout videos. Wow, he's such a muscular guy and so fast at the same time. Impressive!
                              He's a super nice guy too. I've been fortunate enough to train with him in person.

Comment

Working...
                              X