Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any other really heavy guys(or gals) out there doing bodyweight exercises?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any other really heavy guys(or gals) out there doing bodyweight exercises?

im currently 367lbs and i have been doing body weight exercises for my lift heavy things part of the PB. i was wondering if there was anyone else out there at about my weight doing these? more or less follow mark's PBF formula right now but i am going to be adding a few convict conditioning exercises into the mix when i get a pull up bar installed that will hold my weight

so far i find the bodyweight exercises to be quite challenging and im on the low end of the levels for the exercises. i was wondering if anyone is at the higher levels especially overhead press and pull ups? my goal is to be able to knock out some pull ups at a heavy weight, just not sure how realistic that is

i know if i can really increase my strength now at this weight when i lose they should be really easy
    Last edited by Mike Gager; 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

What are you doing for diet? If you want to lose weight, your diet also needs to be addressed, because 80% of your weight depends on what you're eating.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

yeah im eating 100% primal. ive lost 26lbs in 4 weeks so far.

im 6'5" and my goal weight is 240.
      Primal Chaos
      37yo 6'5"
      current 338lbs 49" waist
      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
        im currently 367lbs and i have been doing body weight exercises for my lift heavy things part of the PB. i was wondering if there was anyone else out there at about my weight doing these? more or less follow mark's PBF formula right now but i am going to be adding a few convict conditioning exercises into the mix when i get a pull up bar installed that will hold my weight

so far i find the bodyweight exercises to be quite challenging and im on the low end of the levels for the exercises. i was wondering if anyone is at the higher levels especially overhead press and pull ups? my goal is to be able to knock out some pull ups at a heavy weight, just not sure how realistic that is

i know if i can really increase my strength now at this weight when i lose they should be really easy
        This guy is over 300 pounds and moves through space rather easily. Of course, he probably has an advantage over many of us with good genetics and a background in powerlifting. ‪D3Hundred (The Inspiration)‬‏ - YouTube

Comment

Just make sure you start the Convict Conditioning exercises from the ground zero. Don't rush it, you WILL build up strength and coordination. Big up to you that you are pushing it even when you still have a lot to lose. If you keep losing weight the moment you get close to 200-250 you will become a "machine" because of your weight at the moment - you are effectively training as if you have fairly heavy backpack all the time.
          Last edited by trippplez; 07-19-2011, 12:39 AM.
          Me@twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post

Pull-Ups are next to impossible at your weight, unless you're somehow an athlete who has been specializing in training pull-ups for several years and at the same time accumulated a lot of bodyfat. I'm currently at about 230lbs (down from about 270lbs), and I've been working out at the gym for about two years now, and I still can't do a pull-up. I can do more than 20 push-ups, and I can now do lat pulldown (supinated grip) at 80kg (about 180lbs), which is more than what I see most really muscular guys doing, but obviously if you do the math I'm still way too overweight to pull up my own bodyweight. Assuming you're an average height guy, your ideal bodyweight even with a decent amount of muscle mass should not exceed 200lbs - let's make it 220lbs. Imagine a really muscular guy (think Arnold) doing pull-ups with an additional 3 big 45lbs plates hanging from his hips, doing pull-ups - that's what you want to do.

My recommendation: Do Australian pull-ups:

Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! All About Australian Pull-ups

Even if you do them on a 45 degrees angle, they'll still be quite challenging for you. The main objective obviously is to lose bodyweight, but that won't happen overnight.
            MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

i am 6'5" with a big frame (8" wrists) i dont think ill ever get down to 200

fwiw arnold was 240 @ about 6ft (no one really knows how tall he is for sure)
              Primal Chaos
              37yo 6'5"
              current 338lbs 49" waist
              goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I am 6 foot and 240 now. I do a lot of push ups using those "perfect push up" disks. I do sets of ten or twenty and average around 60 push ups a night. At the gym I can do 3 pull ups. I really wish I could do more. I think if I can ever get to doing sets of ten on the pull up bar I might give up free weights all together.

In regards to your question I am a pretty strong guy but even at 260 or 280 I could not do a pull up. I would try and would rise up a bit but not very far. I think it was around 255 when all of a sudden gravity gave me a little slack and I was able to do a few.

I know for 40 dollars you can buy a weight assist band system at academy. Basically it attaches to the pull up bar and has a little bar for your feet. You can then get between 10 and 100 pounds of assiatance depending how many bands you use.

I know your 360 but maybe a 260 pound you could crank some out. Might be worth the 40 dollars to see.

Best of luck
                Went Primal January 24, 2011
                Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
                Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
                According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day
                sigpic

Comment

you could practice with negative pull ups?

‪Cross Fitness Upper Body Exercises : How to Do a Negative Pull Up Exercise‬‏ - YouTube
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

You could try body rows at angles getting closer to horizontal as you progress. I did this to progress to pull ups. The benefit is they engage the core better than lat pull downs giving you a better work out and also use the muscles involved in a proper pull up. It is very difficult to gauge the body weight you could lift doing lat pull downs to be honest as you are often on a bench etc.

Comment

Hey Mike,

I just wanted to chime in to encourage you. I am relatively new to PB and I am encouraged by your weight loss.

I think you are set with the Convict Conditioning exercises or the PB exercises from step one. I am there myself. It will take a lot to get to 3 sets of 50 wall pushups. Let's keep plugging!

Edit:

I forgot to say I used to be 332 and I am now 248. Not because of PB per se, but I know where you are. My top top weight was probably around 350 or so. Cheers!
                      Last edited by kungfumike; 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM. Reason: forgot to say stuff

Comment

Originally posted by szorn View Post
                        This guy is over 300 pounds and moves through space rather easily. Of course, he probably has an advantage over many of us with good genetics and a background in powerlifting. ‪D3Hundred (The Inspiration)‬‏ - YouTube
                        I broke out in a sweat just watching that guy's workout. He's extraordinary.
                        I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalClay View Post
                          I know for 40 dollars you can buy a weight assist band system at academy. Basically it attaches to the pull up bar and has a little bar for your feet. You can then get between 10 and 100 pounds of assiatance depending how many bands you use.
                          Is Academy the name of an exercise equipment store? I tried googling for info, but couldn't find the band system. Just asking, because I've been wanting some assist bands, but the ones I found were over $100.
                          I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Comment

I started with neg pull-ups around 275 (My top weight was 280) and I was able to do one-two pull-ups consecutively by the time I hit 250.

So anything is possible. I would start with negs and see where it takes you.

Comment

Originally posted by kungfumike View Post
                              Hey Mike,

I just wanted to chime in to encourage you. I am relatively new to PB and I am encouraged by your weight loss.

I think you are set with the Convict Conditioning exercises or the PB exercises from step one. I am there myself. It will take a lot to get to 3 sets of 50 wall pushups. Let's keep plugging!

Edit:

I forgot to say I used to be 332 and I am now 248. Not because of PB per se, but I know where you are. My top top weight was probably around 350 or so. Cheers!
                              thanks man i appreciate the kind words. i am down 27lbs so far in 30 days. hoping i can continue with good results
                              Primal Chaos
                              37yo 6'5"
                              current 338lbs 49" waist
                              goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Working...
                              X