How much cardio is to much cardio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much cardio is to much cardio?

Hi new here. I have just stated reading about primal and I'm starting to get into it, but have a question regarding to much cardio. Looking at the PBF book it says to do lots of low level cardio like walking which I do on the beach and some sprints which am doing twice a week, but I enjoy going for an 8-10 km bike ride a couple of times a week. Is this within acceptable low level cardio? Its on flat ground and not going flat out or anything? What about a slow jog for a couple of kms (talking just above walking speed to give the dog some more running time, kelpies run forever)?

just consider your bike rides as your play time and dont worry about it
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Any cardio is too much cardio.

Comment

Any cardio with HR > 75% is too much cardio. Walk, bike, jog, etc. as long as you don't go in to the anaerobic state (HR > 75%).

Comment

Originally posted by profdjj View Post
          Any cardio with HR > 75% is too much cardio. Walk, bike, jog, etc. as long as you don't go in to the anaerobic state (HR > 75%).
          Horse puckies. Any cardio FOR EXTENDED PERIODS at over 75%, if done often, is chronic cardio. Read what Mark has written (not that that is gospel). An occasional run, hike, or jog that really gets your heart going is fine. Just don't make a habit of it. Mark's talking about folks that feel they need hours on hours of cardio with elevated heart rates.

And it's the extended period that matters. When I sprint, hell, when I squat my 1RM, my heart goes well over 75%.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
            Any cardio FOR EXTENDED PERIODS at over 75%, if done often, is chronic cardio.
            Exactly. And that will kick your ass into jelly. If you don't spend the rest of the day feeling like a truck ran over you, you probably didn't do it wrong.

Gordo

Comment

Excellent, my riding is fairly casual so I probably dont go over 75% for long and it doesn't wipe me out for the day so it seems like its ok. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X