• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great T-Nation Article

T NATION | The Biggest Training Fallacy of All

This should be stickied.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

I read that the other day and I have followed that principle for the last few years. I train specifically for my sports (LAX and Rugby) and also have one day of balls out lifting where I always try to train as intensely as possible. No 2 workouts have been the same for the last 11 months. It's worked so far.
      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Perhaps I'm lucky and I've only trained at good gyms or with good people but I've never encountered and individual (male at least, no offense to females but never trained with them for any considerable amount of time) that didn't try to improve in any sense of the word, more weight, more reps, more volume in general... so I guess I assumed that's how everyone trained.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
          Perhaps I'm lucky and I've only trained at good gyms or with good people but I've never encountered and individual (male at least, no offense to females but never trained with them for any considerable amount of time) that didn't try to improve in any sense of the word, more weight, more reps, more volume in general... so I guess I assumed that's how everyone trained.
          It isn't dude. When I used to train in a public gym, I would see the same people do the same exercises over and over again and remain as round (if not getting rounder) as the day they started. There were a few people that mixed things up, but it was mostly dumbasses on the bench or dumbasses doing curls in the squat rack. The only people that I saw deadlift or squat were women. But then they would do some bosu-ball thing.
          I am not being an elitist, but when you work at something for a year and things either don't change or change for the worse, then you need to re-evaluate and go in a different direction.
          People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

This is pretty much the intro to Starting Strength, word for word. This is gospel truth for novices.

That said, I was happy to read in Practical Programming, that he takes a few steps back when it comes to "masters" athletes (I'm 40). I get beat up too much squatting 3x a week increasing each time, and felt I was a wuss. I'm switching to a Wendler 5/3/1 set up so I can keep progressing but at a slower rate. I'm hitting PRs every 3 weeks instead of each session.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
              ....I am not being an elitist, but when you work at something for a year and things either don't change or change for the worse, then you need to re-evaluate and go in a different direction.
              ^^^This

Most of us are crazy we just dont know it.

doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results
              Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
              Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
              Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
                It isn't dude. When I used to train in a public gym, I would see the same people do the same exercises over and over again and remain as round (if not getting rounder) as the day they started. There were a few people that mixed things up, but it was mostly dumbasses on the bench or dumbasses doing curls in the squat rack. The only people that I saw deadlift or squat were women. But then they would do some bosu-ball thing.
                I am not being an elitist, but when you work at something for a year and things either don't change or change for the worse, then you need to re-evaluate and go in a different direction.
                I think you're misinterpreting this article. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting you.
                It's not about changing exercises, it's about adding weight to the bar regularly.
                I can't imagine Rip objecting to people doing low bar squats every workout for a LONG time.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
                  I think you're misinterpreting this article. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting you.
                  It's not about changing exercises, it's about adding weight to the bar regularly.
                  I can't imagine Rip objecting to people doing low bar squats every workout for a LONG time.
                  His plan is actually every workout until you quit lifting or die, barring physical inability.
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

That's good stuff, right there.

As someone who is the epitome of Rip's novice, that makes a shit-ton of sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
                      This is pretty much the intro to Starting Strength, word for word. This is gospel truth for novices.

That said, I was happy to read in Practical Programming, that he takes a few steps back when it comes to "masters" athletes (I'm 40). I get beat up too much squatting 3x a week increasing each time, and felt I was a wuss. I'm switching to a Wendler 5/3/1 set up so I can keep progressing but at a slower rate. I'm hitting PRs every 3 weeks instead of each session.
                      I'm going to have to morph into this because I'm doing a 5x5 program and am starting to hit the wall squatting heavy 3x's a week. I'm not a novice (25+ years powerliftling/bodybuilding/etc) but I went "back to basics" to try to jolt things.

Comment

The few things I have read on T-Nation are usually quite good, including the article mentioned here. I'm not a regular there but usually only when something is linked on another forum. I wonder though about the perspective on that cite though. Based solely on the photos of people on that cite, who seem uniformly overly ripped and buff, I wonder if it should be called something else.

Comment

THis is a draft of the intro to version 3 of starting strength. And it's not about changing exercises, it's about adding difficulty.

To clarify another point: Rip does not recommend squatting 3x week until you die. The "starting strength" program is very, very specifically intended to be a beginner's 6 month (roughly) progression. Even in that program, at some point you remove the 2nd squat entirely and replace it with something like a light front squat, goblet squat, etc. What Rip recommends is, get strong enough that you cannot progress (add weight) every single time you enter the weight room (his definition of "novice" is someone who gets stronger every time they work out with a heavir weight). After you reach that point, focus on your sport, conditioning, fat loss, AND / OR more weight training.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

t-nation is about using pictures of people who use steroids, insulin, HGH, diuretics and anything else that may bulk and shred them faster than it kills them in order to sell supplements that mostly don't work. A lot like most of the magazine I used to buy before this interweb gizmo thing came along.

Sometimes they print decent articles to attract victims.
                            Often they print nonsense to attract dumber victims.
                            I looked at the 'Ronnie Coleman' workout for giggles.4 exercises for 3 sets of 10 or 15 or 20 reps per bodypart on a 4 or 5 way split..
                            No need to argue about iso's vs compounds or machines vs free weights -just do everything in the gym!
                            I'm not as anti-bodybuilding as many here but that's just awful bodybuilding.
                            Probably they print somewhere that it is an 'advanced' program but fools don't read that or think because they're willing to work 'real hard' they can save time by going straight to advanced
                            Rip confirmed on SS that he has no control over the pictures used with his article.

Comment

Working...
                            X