X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee pain when squatting...

So, I've been doing Stronglifts.

I was supposed to squat 150 today.

I put 115 on the bar to warm up, and after 3 I felt some pain the right knee. I didn't like it, so I stopped.

I waited a minute and did a few air squats...I felt okay, so I stepped up to the 115 again, and I felt the pain the in knee again after about 3.

I rested again, gave it one more shot, and felt the pain again.

So I retooled, did a some sprinting....my right leg felt kind of funky. Just out of sorts from the foot to the knee.

I did some push presses and air squats, and, again, didn't feel any pain.

I don't want to hurt myself for sure, but I'm not sure how to go forward.

Should I cool it on the squats for a while? Should I work through it? Should I drop the weight and make sure I've got really good technique? Ideas?

It shouldn't be serious if your form is right. Check your form.

If your form is good I say work through it.

Comment

Talked to my brother, who has an athletic training/Army medic background.

He thinks it's just an overuse thing. He suggested that I drop the squats to 2x a week, drop weight to make sure form is on point, and make sure I'm doing mobility work.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't do heavy squatting more than twice a week. In most programs, you only see it once a week, especially if you deadlift too.
        Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
        -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

That's garbage. As a beginner you can squat 3 times a week no problem. Dropping weight and focusing on form is a good idea. But if you're sure your form is good now, then go through the pain.

You can't be scared of minor pains, just go through them.

I have a pretty weird elbow pain right now, over the last two work outs, but I'm going through and am sure it will go away soon enough. I know my body and know when it's serious and when it's not serious pain.

If you stop working out or disrupt your program every time you have a minor pain, you'll never get anywhere. Do you think that, over the next 12 months, you will be pain free for every work out? You won't. This goes with the game.
          Last edited by dado; 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dado View Post
            That's garbage. As a beginner you can squat 3 times a week no problem.
            Sure, as a beginner it's fine.

Dropping weight and focusing on form is a good idea. But if you're sure your form is good now, then go through the pain.

You can't be scared of minor pains, just go through them.

I have a pretty weird elbow pain right now, over the last two work outs, but I'm going through and am sure it will go away soon enough. I know my body and know when it's serious and when it's not serious pain.

If you stop working out or disrupt your program every time you have a minor pain, you'll never get anywhere. Do you think that, over the next 12 months, you will be pain free for every work out? You won't. This goes with the game.
            I don't think anyone is really qualified to give advice in this manner... especially if it's a knee we're discussing. I would be very cautious with a potential knee injury.
            Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
            -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Fair. As my brother said, "Let's be honest, dude. This working out thing is really new to you."

And he's right. I've been really sedentary for a long time.

I'm good with working through minor pains, I just don't want a minor pain to lead to a for real injury, and I don't know my body well enough to know when it's okay to push and when I need to pull it back yet.

Comment

Squatting with good form won't bother your knees. Squatting with poor form can destroy them. This could either be a red flag or it could be nothing.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by Velocity View Post
                  Sure, as a beginner it's fine.

I don't think anyone is really qualified to give advice in this manner... especially if it's a knee we're discussing. I would be very cautious with a potential knee injury.
                  My point is that if his form is good, if he's sure his form is good, then he doesn't need to worry about serious injury. It's almost impossible to seriously injure your knees if you squat with correct form.

But only he knows this, and has to make this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                    Squatting with good form won't bother your knees. Squatting with poor form can destroy them. This could either be a red flag or it could be nothing.
                    Yeah, that's why I'm not going to give any advice to continue heavy (for the OP) squatting. Since I can't see his form, and don't know exactly the 'pain' being felt (nor where in the knee), I have to refrain from giving any advice. See a trainer to get your form evaluated (one tip: make dead sure your knees don't drift inward during your reps), for sure.

Originally posted by dado View Post
                    My point is that if his form is good, if he's sure his form is good, then he doesn't need to worry about serious injury. It's almost impossible to seriously injure your knees if you squat with correct form.

But only he knows this, and has to make this decision.
                    I can agree with that.

-- Blaise Pascal

Comment

115 is a lot for the first warm-up if you're squatting 150 -- that's 75% of your work set. Whatever you decide to do (and if it's an overuse injury you might want to consider stopping or drastically backing off until it heals), I would recommend you warm up with lighter weights, and progress to your work set over a few sets. I personally always start with a couple of sets with the empty bar, then do 3 more sets increasing the weight and decreasing the reps in each one until I get to the work set (i.e. 45 x 5/5, 70 x 5, 95 x 3, 120 x 2, 150 x 5/5/5/5/5).

Comment

+1 on the light warm-up and stretch (I usually do 15-20 EB squats and the same amount of good mornings + ~ 10 OHPs)

Check your form for sure! I squated on the 5x5 Stronglifts for over a year 3x a week, and I have an occasional discomfort in the knee, and it's always the form (drop knees inward or overbalance).
                        Try to take your shoes off particulary when you go over 100 lbs squat (erm, 100 lbs for me, my top squat is 128, slightly above BW)
                        Check your programming - if you are stalling on squats, and have to recover for 3+ minutes, you might be ready for 3x5 or an intermediate programming.
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Im currently recovering from my 4th knee operation. Im 26 and this all started from a muscle imbalance with my knee cap not tracking correctly. If i was you.any exercise causing knee pain should be stopped temporarily until you have seek medical advice. If you work through pain and there is an underlining issue you could end up doing a lot of damage. Its quite a come down from squats but i find hip adduction and abduction a good way of keeping the muscle's strong until you are pain free again. a few weeks off squats isant going to hurt

Comment

It's not the weight or frequency, its the form. Im assuming you havent squatted before starting this program? Take a week off the heavy squats, go light and focus on form. Feet just more than should width, feet about 15 degrees out, make sure to stick your ass out when go down to ensure your knees stay above your feet, and keep your hips tight so your knees don't collapse inward. I find any hip or knee pain is alleviated with proper form and proper warm ups.

I am at 225 (best of 275 several years ago in HS before i stopped) and my warm up right now is like barx2x5, 135x4, 185x2. Then I would move on to my working set of 225x3x5.

Just keep squatting even if it's air squats. Keeping up with the motion will let your body fix its self. Not squatting will cause it to tense up and get worse.

Comment

What others have said.

I just started doing SS a few months ago, and after 8-10 weeks started to get a bit of pain under my right kneecap. I worked through it at first, as it felt more like overuse pain like tennis elbow than "hey dumbass, stop doing that" pain. It steadily got worse and worse to the point that I'd feel it on warmup sets even.

I took two weeks off, did nothing the first week other than long walks, and did bodyweight conditioning the second week (some Insanity and P90x workouts 2-3 days instead of lifting) and when I jumped back in, reset everything and really concentrated on my form. Took the squat down to 185 from 255 and the DL down to 225 from 285, and it made a huge difference. My body felt GREAT, no pains, I was able to really power through the workouts without stalling, and have been just wiped the rest of the day as my body recovers.

If you've been going hard for a couple of months, your body may just be telling you to back off, I need more than 1-2 days to REALLY recover here.

Comment

Working...
                              X