6ft and 150 lbs. Do I look healthy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6ft and 150 lbs. Do I look healthy?

Many on here will know me for being that kid thats has always wanted to get bigger. I've never made massive gains despite being fairly fit and trying various methods. The only thing that had any effect was drinking loads of milk. I am a little skinny fat, and am working on this.

Anyway, Im fairly content accepting that I naturally have a skinny frame. Im not here looking for bulking tips any more. I recently read an article which argued that it was possible to be 6ft and 145lbs and look strong. This was very controversial as it was revealed that these stats were inaccurate and thus the claim was false:

Health Correlator: Maybe you should stop trying to be someone you are not

people argued such a claim is unachievable.

I am 6ft and 150lbs. A rare combination and particularly slim.

I know I am healthy, but my question to you, just our of curiosity is, do I look healthy? Do i look physically capable?

please be honest. I dont know how long it takes for photos to be approved and appear?

Cheers
    Attached Files
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

might try one of the free image hosting sites, photobucket.com, use.com, etc

your bmi is on the low side of the healthy range so id guess you are ok. Willoughby Athlete Weight says you should weigh about 196 for your height FWIW
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Do you know how much your Body Fat% is?

Comment

Aprox 10%. Would like to maintain at 8 though.

Thanks ill look into photobucket, never bothered with it in the past lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
          might try one of the free image hosting sites, photobucket.com, use.com, etc

your bmi is on the low side of the healthy range so id guess you are ok. Willoughby Athlete Weight says you should weigh about 196 for your height FWIW

Wow 196, that means i would have to gain 20KG of muscle! Ain't happening lol. Not in any healthy way. When you see the pics you'll agree. its annoying my body just doesn't respond to whatever gaining training/food stimulus i throw at it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
            Wow 196, that means i would have to gain 20KG of muscle! Ain't happening lol. Not in any healthy way. When you see the pics you'll agree. its annoying my body just doesn't respond to whatever gaining training/food stimulus i throw at it.
            Wait, are you talking Kg or Lbs? Big difference, obviously.

You can gain 20kg of muscle, though, if you commit to a good barbell program, such as Starting Strength or Squats and Milk. You just have to want to do the work.
            Lifting Journal

Comment

Do i look physically capable?
              We could talk about something different as long as we can't see your pictures. Are you physically capable? Can you deadlift 1.5 times your bodyweight? Do a handstand, L-sit or planche pushup? Do a muscle-up?

I'm kind of tall and slim too. I'm 6'3" and was 170 lbs around a year ago, now I'm closer to 180 lbs with probably a bit less body fat. But I still can't do most of those things (the L-sit is close), but I wouldn't claim to be looking strong yet. Maybe in another year.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                Wait, are you talking Kg or Lbs? Big difference, obviously.

You can gain 20kg of muscle, though, if you commit to a good barbell program, such as Starting Strength or Squats and Milk. You just have to want to do the work.
                well 196 is 46 pounds up which is 20KG i work in kg. I appreciate your thoughts but im not here for the workout advise. Youll just have to believe me when i say ive been there tried those methods, and without drinking milk till I felt like shit, it didnt work. I was distraught when I didn't reach my goal, motivation to work is never an issue.

Originally posted by PatrickF View Post
                We could talk about something different as long as we can't see your pictures. Are you physically capable? Can you deadlift 1.5 times your bodyweight? Do a handstand, L-sit or planche pushup? Do a muscle-up?

I'm kind of tall and slim too. I'm 6'3" and was 170 lbs around a year ago, now I'm closer to 180 lbs with probably a bit less body fat. But I still can't do most of those things (the L-sit is close), but I wouldn't claim to be looking strong yet. Maybe in another year.
                yer Im working on a few of those actually, not quite there, alot more body weight training to do, youre right will take time, got into the more functional/crossfit training style only recently, but I think it will improve my physique in the long run - if can keep to it, kickboxing is likely to take over my training at uni in a few months.

However in this thread im kinda focusing on the vanity side of things

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickF View Post

While I love what I bolded, I wouldn't necessarily say those are benchmarks for most people. The planche for instance, can take years to achieve and even more to master. The OP may also not give a flip about being able to do a handstand, and provided any 5 year old girl with proper training can do it it's also not a good benchmark for... anything other than balance (sure you have to be strong to hold it, but not extremely so)

The L-sit is great, but again, not a great test, I'm sure he can do an L-sit, given he's tall and skinny. An L-sit would be more impressive on somebody that was much heavier.

I'd instead ask: can you do a few pull-ups (how about with some weight strapped on you?) can you dip your bodyweight, squat at least your weight but on your back (meaning, can you squat 150lbs) etc etc...

to the OP: The Donald Cerrone thing isn't a good indicator because fighters are known to cut weight drastically prior to a weigh-in then try to pile it on before fight time. Figures are crazy and a lot of fighters can put back on 15-20lbs before a bout. Also, hasn't Cerrone dropped a weight class recently? I'm pretty sure he used to fight around 155lbs, meaning he probably "walks around" at 170-180lbs. A fighter's "walk around" weight is what they normally weigh, then they cut 15-20lbs before a weigh in to qualify. It's also said that a fighter (much like a body-builder going into competition) is at their weakest state, usually due to the extreme lengths they go to lose the weight, and all the water weight they lose in the process.

You're probably just fine. You can still work on increasing your strength and that should add some muscle to your frame.

I wanted to look like Yuri Van Gelder (gymnast) for a little while, I realize now how dumb that was when I'm likelier to look like Bruce Lee given my genetics and current frame.
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

How much do you squat and bench press, out of curiosity?

If you get up to squatting something like 300 lbs there is no way you will stay 6'0" and 145, I don't think.

Comment

well 196 is 46 pounds up which is 20KG i work in kg. I appreciate your thoughts but im not here for the workout advise. Youll just have to believe me when i say ive been there tried those methods, and without drinking milk till I felt like shit, it didnt work. I was distraught when I didn't reach my goal, motivation to work is never an issue.
                      I'm 6', 6'1" on a bad hair day, and at one point I weighed right around 155. This was... sophomore year of college, so about three years ago give or take. Once I hit up a proper weight regimen, and ate a TON (without even resorting to drinking milk in mass quantity), I put on quite a bit of muscle mass to where right now I'm sitting in the 190 area. At heaviest, I was probably close to 200 but some of that was fat mass. Granted, I still have a few pounds of fat in the gut area that I'm in the process of shedding (I say "process," but I've tried several things and it's been stuck there for about a year...), but it's entirely possible to throw on a large amount of mass if you work at it.

It won't happen overnight, but give yourself a year of solid eating and training and you'd be surprised at how far you can go.
                      Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                      -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

196lb would be close to his genetic potential according to many calculators, figuring in a normal (prob 10-12%) BF level.

"Correct" weight is a somewhat squishy concept, let's be honest. I'm 179cm and 59kg and underweight by the official BMI indication, yet other indicators of fitness would say that I'm fine -- I'm stronger than my weight would suggest, I have good cardiovascular endurance, and I'm one of those people who famously "don't get sick". That being said I AM starting a program to gain muscular mass, for aesthetic reasons as well as to increase my organ reserve (organ mass and therefore function is proportional to muscle mass).

I second the other posters' suggestion of deciding on a set of benchmarks to determine whether you are strong and fit rather than if you just look it -- looks can be very deceiving after all, in both directions.

Comment

Yer velocity, youre right I know it will take alot of time, and it probably hasnt helped that I try to combine kickboxing into most of my training. I guess a year of weights and stuff alone probably would work, but I enjoy sports too much. Thats why I thought about going crossfit / body weight training route.

Andrea - thats interesting about 196 being genetic potential, and makes alot more sense. It proabaly would take anywhere near close to 20kg muscle to make a big difference.

In terms of benchmarks, the guy on the page before said theres no way I could way this if I can squat 300lbs. Well there is no way I am squatting double my bodyweight! its been while since I did formal squats and bench, as I said Ive moved to bodyweight stuff working to achieve planches etc. But last time I tried I was benching and squatting my own body weight a few reps of each.

I know right now I can max 50-60 solid pressups in a row, 10 one handed pressups on each side, 18 pullups to fail, maybe 12 if I go slowly from absolute straight arm everytime, straight plank for 6 mins, ... and 200 round house kicks in 2.5mins if anyone cares about cardio LOL

cheers guys

Comment

Still waiting for your pictures to approve, but in the meantime - looking at last year's shot - you're still a kid. Give yourself time. Yes, some people might be bulkier at your age, but it's likely genetics. It takes time to build quality muscle.

The other thing is, don't try to go for huge bulk. I mean, if that's your thing, by all means, but it's not the be-all and end-all. Lean, elegant and fit has a lot going for it. There are some elements to it - cultivate moving gracefully and confidently, stand at your full height and dress to suit your physique. My hubby isn't tall, and is very lean, and it wasn't until we discovered a slim-cut brand of designer shirt that I ever really thought clothes looked good on him.

I watched the old film 'logan's run' the other day and was really amazed by the beauty and grace of Michael York in that movie. Those were the days before 'gym junkie' bodies were de rigeur and you'd see very lightly muscled, lean guys all the time.
                            If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

Lean, elegant and fit has a lot going for it in the gay community, but if you like women you should try to bulk up a little. You don't need to be the hulk, but, you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X