Three HIIT Workouts A Week?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three HIIT Workouts A Week?

A buddy at the gym swears by three HIIT workouts a week (usually on the treadmill). Much like a Primal sprint workout, she doesn't go much longer than 20 minutes and is done. Other days of the week is lifting.

Thoughts on this? What are some effective HIIT workouts?

Originally posted by john_solo View Post
    A buddy at the gym swears by three HIIT workouts a week (usually on the treadmill). Much like a Primal sprint workout, she doesn't go much longer than 20 minutes and is done. Other days of the week is lifting.

Thoughts on this? What are some effective HIIT workouts?
    Likely, only one of those workouts will be performed at any meaningful intensity to be considered high.

Comment

High-Intensity Intervals May Be Single Best Exercise
      30 Seconds More Effective than 3 Minutes

High-Intensity Intervals may be single best exercise

Comment

Why in god's name would anyone use a treadmill to do HIIT? And I'm pretty sure you can get that kind of workout in under 10 minutes. 20 sounds way too long.
        If your gym has a C2 rowing machine, go for a 2k "sprint row" - should take less than 10 minutes and gas your whole body. Technique vids on youtube will help immensely.
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

So the long and the short is that those workouts are enough (along with lifting)? No need to do more?

Comment

Originally posted by Vick View Post
            High-Intensity Intervals May Be Single Best Exercise
            30 Seconds More Effective than 3 Minutes

High-Intensity Intervals may be single best exercise
            Great article - Thanks!

Comment

It depends on her goals right now. For Fat burning I could see 3 a week working very well for a lot of people. I would not suggest it as a long-haul stretegy, but for short term metabolic conditioning they are quite useful.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
                Likely, only one of those workouts will be performed at any meaningful intensity to be considered high.
                You are very generous.
                I'm betting on zero.
                Very possibly a fine workout schedule but very unlikely to be 3 HIIT sessions plus strength in between.

Comment

Skipping rope - 1 min skipping, 1 min marching repeat 10 times for 20 mins!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45312.html[SIGPIC]

Comment

20 minutes on a tread? Psh.
                    This rocks it in a fifth the time =)
                    (Only use more intensity/faster to truly make it HIIT)

YouTube - ‪4-min Workout Tabata Interval: Kettlebell Swings‬‏
                    Last edited by Karate Lisa; 07-06-2011, 03:43 AM.
                    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

I get so confused with this aspect of exercise. When to do HIIT, what to do, how long...AGH! Is there a primer or guide for this stuff, or general guidelines? For example, in response to tfarny, why in God's name wouldn't you do HIIT on a treadmill?

Comment

A sprint is your classic HIIT workout, and you just can't get that level of all-out crazy work on a treadmill safely. Though I suppose if you can, you should really ease into things? I also just don't see any reason anyone would want to be on a treadmill or elliptical in summertime.

An example mini-workout, crossfit-style, I did AFTER weight training last week: 10 box jumps and 15 kettlebell swings, 5 rounds for time. Took me about 6 minutes and I spent a minute on the floor afterward. I might add 10 pushups to that sequence next time, that would stretch it to about 10 minutes. Another one I like is a 2k row as fast as possible on the C2 rower.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

some one posted the following:
                          The Complete Guide to Interval Training [Infographic] | Greatist

it breaks down visually the different types of sprinting/high intensity training...
                          The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                          What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                          SW 190lb
                          Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                          25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                          1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                          GW ~135lbs
                          5'3"
                          Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                            A sprint is your classic HIIT workout, and you just can't get that level of all-out crazy work on a treadmill safely. Though I suppose if you can, you should really ease into things? I also just don't see any reason anyone would want to be on a treadmill or elliptical in summertime.

An example mini-workout, crossfit-style, I did AFTER weight training last week: 10 box jumps and 15 kettlebell swings, 5 rounds for time. Took me about 6 minutes and I spent a minute on the floor afterward. I might add 10 pushups to that sequence next time, that would stretch it to about 10 minutes. Another one I like is a 2k row as fast as possible on the C2 rower.
                            Don't forget that it's relative. For some of us those workouts you list are torture or death, not HIIT.
                            For me,right now, a run not far past a jog is a sprint workload.
                            Somebody posted a HIIT for cardiac recovery study where the work interval was walking uphill on a treadmill at 3mph.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
                              Don't forget that it's relative. For some of us those workouts you list are torture or death, not HIIT.
                              For me,right now, a run not far past a jog is a sprint workload.
                              Somebody posted a HIIT for cardiac recovery study where the work interval was walking uphill on a treadmill at 3mph.
                              Unfortunately you point is often overlooked. For some people a 45 second walk will put them over the top because they are so badly out of shape. For them that was HIIT. However if 2 days later they walk 50 seconds... they are now on the track to success because they progressively increased the workout.

It is that simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X