No announcement yet.

Three HIIT Workouts A Week?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I usually agree with TFarny, I can't here. I usually do my HIIT on a treadmill. Five minute warmup. 10 intervals of one minute alternating running at a pace much faster than my normal slow pace (figure I run a 10 minute mile normally, I ramp it up to a 6 minute mile pace). Do that for one minute, next minute is walking. 10 of those for 20 minutes, then cool down. I have lots of reasons for using a treadmill. This is HIIT. Sprinting isn't the only form of HIIT and a study I saw recently showed that even this more moderate form of HIIT has nearly the same benefits as the more all-out form of HIIT advocated by some.

If you'd prefer, call this somewhat high intensity interval training, or SHIIT.

Comment

lol

No, the hot new thing is Total Intensity Training

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
        While I usually agree with TFarny, I can't here. I usually do my HIIT on a treadmill. Five minute warmup. 10 intervals of one minute alternating running at a pace much faster than my normal slow pace (figure I run a 10 minute mile normally, I ramp it up to a 6 minute mile pace). Do that for one minute, next minute is walking. 10 of those for 20 minutes, then cool down. I have lots of reasons for using a treadmill. This is HIIT. Sprinting isn't the only form of HIIT and a study I saw recently showed that even this more moderate form of HIIT has nearly the same benefits as the more all-out form of HIIT advocated by some.

If you'd prefer, call this somewhat high intensity interval training, or SHIIT.
        I'm kicking you out of the Tfarny Always-Agree-ers Club right now. What's the advantage of a treadmill over a patch of grass for that protocol?
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Tfarny: The advantage of the t-mill is that it's in my house, where my kids are, and I do my conditioning in the evenings when the wife is often out. As the kids are under the age where they can be left alone without being taken away by the state, I prefer to train in my house where they are.

And my backyard is too small for me to run on full speed without going through my fence, which would hurt.

Also, I live in DC where it's currently 99 degrees with 1500% humidity in the evenings.

Thus, the treadmill. My point being also that interval training can be pretty intense without it being "I can't move after". The study I'm referencing showed it had about 80-90% of the benefits of the all-out elite athlete kind of training, which is more than sufficient for me. I'll stick with my SHIIT.

Comment

Cool, so you use a treadmill to avoid your children being taken away, and 15000% humidity, not because it's an ideal way to train. I'll let you back in the club now! Enjoy your SHIIT workout. I'm going to do my "All Sprinting Secondarily Holistic O2 Living Energy workout" tomorrow, I can't wait.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Okay, so here's the workout I landed on

5 minutes warmup
              Intervals - as many box jumps as I can do in 30 seconds, as many kettlebell swings as I can do in 30 seconds
              Rest until I catch my breath/can see through the sweat (usually about a minute)
              Repeat for 10 minutes
              1000 meter sprint row

Takes about 20 minutes. Thoughts?
              Last edited by john_solo; 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I'm bummed the "What? You work out for 20 seconds? I work out for 10 seconds! Every other week! Naked! In the jungle!" stopped.

Been doing interval sprinty things (on the treadmill sometimes, in the park sometimes). Also interval fast things with the jump-rope. Mostly a minute fast, a minutes slow, for a few minutes at a time. Rest/abs. Repeat a few times. About 20 min total.

Lately, do that, day off, weights, rest day, repeat. Pretty decent results. Might switch out a rest day for a long slow run/ride.
                My runs have gotten way faster, generally stronger, and other good things.

Probably change everything in a week or two.

Comment

I tried to do 3 HIITs a week: 2 KB's and 1 bike, in addition to 3 lifting and walking, and uhm, fell on my face! All power to your friend!
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                  X