Bench vs Dips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench vs Dips

I lift without a spotter (I know, bad Abu Reena, bad boy). I'm thinking of dropping benching all together because (a) I can't really increase the weight to the point of my limits without fear of dropping it, and (b) I've got shoulder girdle issues. I'm thinking of just going to dips, progressing to weighted dips (not that far away, I can do a set of 10 BW dips). Anyone else do this? Any reason to bench at all using DBs instead of BBs?

Note that I'm in the middle of a starting strength program, but I'm stalling on the Bench Press per the above. The goal is to get strong and secondarily to gain muscle mass, I'm not a bodybuilder.

Dips are a good exercise. I do them in lieu of flat bench. For overall chest development, add DB presses at a 45 degree incline.

Comment

I don't bench for the same reasons as you state and also because I find it boring to bench. The only BB movements I do currently are deadlifts and squats. Sometimes OH presses.

I do dips, with and without added weight. If you lean in a lot you "target" the chest muscles slightly more. I'm biased though, personally I see little value in the bench press (if you're doing dips, different types of push ups, etc, and can add weight to those movements. I don't think think you miss out if you don't BP)
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I stopped benching about 4 years ago. I feel stronger and my joints are healthier now than they were in my benching days.
        "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. Makes sense. I'll switch to dips, perhaps some DB work, and see how it goes.

Comment

I'm still a fan of doing bench. Despite using weight vests and doing a ton of pushup, I never felt like I was getting as good of a chest workout when I wasn't benching. I bench by me onezy as well, but I do have a rack that will catch the bar if I need to let it down.
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

dips every time. they are the upper body squat

Comment

I hate benching, which sucks because it's the only lift I'm not terrible at (about 90% bw, not terrible but not great). I also don't think it's good to bench alone, and for me it hurt my left wrist because I wasn't gripping properly for a while. I'm moving to just 2x week pressing (one volumeday, one for PRs / some push press), and doing weighted or otherwise hard pushups and dips as accessories, at least for the time being.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I lift solo as well, but do the bench on a Smith Machine

Comment

Ditched the bench myself. Great front delt exercise (sarcasm)! Switched over to weighted vest pushups & weighted vest dips. Doesn't seem to put the strain on my left front delt that benches do.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of bench, either. I'm doing one-arm DB bench once a week, dips once a week. If you want to work both your chest and core, one-arm bench will do it. I spot myself with my free hand. No train wrecks so far, knocking wood.

Gordo

Comment

The bench press is my favorite lift. I never use a spotter either and I've never been crushed even though my last rep is usually a struggle. I think benching without a spotter makes me stronger on my last rep. Allegedly mothers have been known to lift cars up with incredible strength when their children are underneath them, when I am underneath a heavy weight I find new strength too.
                        Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Dips are not comparable to benching or any other free weight pressing movement - as you've already said, keep some db presses in there.
                          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                          Brute Force Sandbags
                          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I do both. If I'm alone I do bench press with dumbbells, so there's no risk of injury (and you get more flexibility and triceps workout too). Dips work the chest more if you lean forward, so I guess that might help. Also, doing push-ups with weights on your back (i.e. a backpack full of rocks or something) is also doable alone.
                            Norak's Primal Journal:
                            2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                            2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                            2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

I actually think that my chest development has taken off since I dropped all form of bench press. I do lots of different pushups, dips and OHP. Seems much more functional too, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X