Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pull-ups for Women: You can do it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pull-ups for Women: You can do it!

    My blog post today is one for the ladies - it's all about women doing pull-ups.

    Please leave your comments directly on my blog!

    Thanks for watching!
    Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

    sigpic

  • #2
    sorry to butt in but girls that can do pull ups are hot, see Al's video for Exhibit A.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks! I fear I'm too fat to do a pull up just yet, but you've given me some ideas for starting on increasing my upper body strength.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by me jane View Post
        Thanks! I fear I'm too fat to do a pull up just yet, but you've given me some ideas for starting on increasing my upper body strength.
        When I started trying to do pullups last year I was between 160- 170 pounds on a 5' 4" frame. I just kept trying and trying and then one day I did one, I felt like I was floating on air I was so happy. Now I can do 3 and I am down to 140 pounds. Best thing to do is start today, don't put it off any longer, the longer you wait, the harder it is to get started. Good Luck, you CAN do it!
        My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

        *Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by me jane View Post
          Thanks! I fear I'm too fat to do a pull up just yet, but you've given me some ideas for starting on increasing my upper body strength.
          I've slowly worked my way up to doing 12 + one leg assisted pullups... by the time on my 4th, 5th, and 6th sets I'm lucky If I can get in btwn 8-10 reps. When I'm at the playground with the kids I bang out Aussie pull ups as another option to test my muscles... start slowly, take breaks and eventually you'll get there... I'm almost to the point where I can do an un-assisted pullup...and as I continue to shed fat and build muscle - banging out 25 will be easy...it just takes a while to burn the fat and build the strength!
          The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
          What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

          Converted to PB November 2010
          SW 190lb
          Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
          25 Sep 2011 160lbs
          1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
          GW ~135lbs
          5'3"
          Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            sorry to butt in but girls that can do pull ups are hot, see Al's video for Exhibit A.
            You're not butting in - I appreciate your input! And yes, chicks who do pull-ups rule.

            Originally posted by me jane View Post
            Thanks! I fear I'm too fat to do a pull up just yet, but you've given me some ideas for starting on increasing my upper body strength.
            Start with the Aussie pull-ups and keep your diet clean. If you stay the course, you will work your way up to the real deal eventually.

            Originally posted by Fern View Post
            When I started trying to do pullups last year I was between 160- 170 pounds on a 5' 4" frame. I just kept trying and trying and then one day I did one, I felt like I was floating on air I was so happy. Now I can do 3 and I am down to 140 pounds. Best thing to do is start today, don't put it off any longer, the longer you wait, the harder it is to get started. Good Luck, you CAN do it!
            Good advice! Congrats on your progress!

            Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
            as I continue to shed fat and build muscle - banging out 25 will be easy...it just takes a while to burn the fat and build the strength!
            Exactly. Be patient and enjoy the journey.
            "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

            "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

            My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              I can't even do a PUSH up. /bawl

              (halp)
              I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

              Comment


              • #8
                Start w/modified pushups... ie you're on your knees instead of your feet in a plank position... shoot for doing 2! then work on your pullups - then squats, and come back around and to the modified push ups again! I started this way - and Now my max pushups is about 25! If the modified pushups on your knees isn't do-able do wall pushups... figure out what works for you and make it happen... all you've got to do is do 1! and your on your way!
                The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

                Converted to PB November 2010
                SW 190lb
                Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                GW ~135lbs
                5'3"
                Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
                  Start w/modified pushups... ie you're on your knees instead of your feet in a plank position... shoot for doing 2! then work on your pullups - then squats, and come back around and to the modified push ups again! I started this way - and Now my max pushups is about 25! If the modified pushups on your knees isn't do-able do wall pushups... figure out what works for you and make it happen... all you've got to do is do 1! and your on your way!
                  Thanks, will try that. I can do about half to 3/4 of a knee push up. so far, I'm trying to work on my arms/chest/shoulders in other ways to build up more strength but it seems to be the hardest place for me to gain strength!
                  Last edited by Nion; 06-27-2011, 01:28 PM.
                  I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm at 155 pounds and I can barely do more than 5 push ups. It's going to be some time before I can do a pull up. I don't know where I can do Aussie pull ups though. I can't think of any place in my house to do them except maybe a table. I don't know if I'd be able to keep my grip though. I don't have a gym membership, so that's a no. I'm not sure if there's any public playgrounds around here, either.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nion View Post
                      I can't even do a PUSH up. /bawl

                      (halp)
                      Oh c'mon now - this post was meant to be inspiring!

                      It's not easy but if you're willing to be patient and do the work, push-ups and pull-ups are within your potential.

                      Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
                      Start w/modified pushups... ie you're on your knees instead of your feet in a plank position... shoot for doing 2! then work on your pullups - then squats, and come back around and to the modified push ups again! I started this way - and Now my max pushups is about 25! If the modified pushups on your knees isn't do-able do wall pushups... figure out what works for you and make it happen... all you've got to do is do 1! and your on your way!
                      Good advice!

                      Originally posted by Aly View Post
                      I'm at 155 pounds and I can barely do more than 5 push ups. It's going to be some time before I can do a pull up. I don't know where I can do Aussie pull ups though. I can't think of any place in my house to do them except maybe a table. I don't know if I'd be able to keep my grip though. I don't have a gym membership, so that's a no. I'm not sure if there's any public playgrounds around here, either.
                      If you can do 5 push-ups on your toes then you are already pretty strong! As your weight goes down and your strength goes up your bodyweight skills will continue to improve!
                      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

                      "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

                      My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                        Oh c'mon now - this post was meant to be inspiring!

                        It's not easy but if you're willing to be patient and do the work, push-ups and pull-ups are within your potential.
                        Hehehe, i know, i'm the impatient sort though
                        I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Woo HOO!! Thanks for doing a focused-on-women post! Love it Al! And I agree iniQuity--its totally hot!!!

                          And to those who think they'll never get there, or that they are too impatient for it, just keep on trucking! I'm someone who had NEVER done a pull up (or climbed a rope, etc...) in my life, until starting to incorperate bodyweight workout stuff (and now I CAN do them!! I was probably primal for a year and a half and had been doing chair pull ups etc before it first happened for me, but it was worth the wait!!) Give yourself time and just progress at your own pace--PB fitness ebook has great mods for pull ups (and push ups, etc) as does Al's site.

                          Woo hoo for strong women!!!!
                          My Before/After Pics
                          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

                          "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Awesome video! Back when I was in college and eating nasty (grains grains grains) but doing P90X I got to where I could do two pullups. Then I put on about twenty five pounds and stopped training that way and those went away. I've been here on MDA for about three months, eating about 75/25 primal and getting better, and just doing LHT workouts. I banged out one and a half unassisted pullups for the first time in four years yesterday! Women can definitely do them without turning into dudes. :-)

                            Thanks for the post, I will definitely be doing Aussies to increase my strength. I go to a gym and do the assisted machine, but I like the look of the Aussie more.
                            ~All luck is earned in the end.~

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                              Woo HOO!! Thanks for doing a focused-on-women post! Love it Al! And I agree iniQuity--its totally hot!!!

                              And to those who think they'll never get there, or that they are too impatient for it, just keep on trucking! I'm someone who had NEVER done a pull up (or climbed a rope, etc...) in my life, until starting to incorperate bodyweight workout stuff (and now I CAN do them!! I was probably primal for a year and a half and had been doing chair pull ups etc before it first happened for me, but it was worth the wait!!) Give yourself time and just progress at your own pace--PB fitness ebook has great mods for pull ups (and push ups, etc) as does Al's site.

                              Woo hoo for strong women!!!!
                              Glad you enjoyed this post and thanks for sharing your experience. Woo hoo for strong women indeed!


                              Originally posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
                              Awesome video! Back when I was in college and eating nasty (grains grains grains) but doing P90X I got to where I could do two pullups. Then I put on about twenty five pounds and stopped training that way and those went away. I've been here on MDA for about three months, eating about 75/25 primal and getting better, and just doing LHT workouts. I banged out one and a half unassisted pullups for the first time in four years yesterday! Women can definitely do them without turning into dudes. :-)

                              Thanks for the post, I will definitely be doing Aussies to increase my strength. I go to a gym and do the assisted machine, but I like the look of the Aussie more.
                              Congrats on getting your strength back! You're definitely better off with the Aussies than that silly machine.
                              "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

                              "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

                              My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X