Wicked leg cramps lately

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicked leg cramps lately

I have no idea what's going on, but I've had wicked leg cramps lately. I haven't really done anything different or unusual (I don't think.) Last night I woke up with a horrible cramp in my calf, and as I sit here I can feel how tight it is. It's like it's just waiting for me to fall asleep so it can cramp up.

I drink plenty of water and I stretch when I need to. Anybody have any idea what might be going on?

Try putting soap at the bottom of your bed, yes really and it works:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/old-wives-tales/

I get cramps in summer but since putting a bar of soap at my feet haven't had one. Also you might be low in magnesium so maybe get some more of that into you especially before you go to bed.

Comment

How interesting! I'm going to try this. I'm a big fan of old wive's tales and what-not.

Comment

Ok, gave it a try, and it actually worked! My calves are still tight, but I didn't wake up in the middle of the night with a cramp. I wonder why it works...

Comment

My boot camp instructor swears by having a banana after workouts to avoid cramps. Don't know the reason, but it seems to work.

Comment

dragon: I don't know the science behind it, but apparently a lack of potassium can lead to cramps/charlie horses. That would explain the banana cure.

Comment

I used to eat a banana every morning before I hit the gym. I cut out the bananas when I decided to get more strict on my carbs. Bananas are pretty well known for potassium. Munching on one now to see if it'll help.

Comment

Diana, as a displaced Rhode Island girl living in the middle of Texas, I just want to say that you made my morning by using the word "wicked."

That is all; I have nothing constructive to contribute to this thread. I have heard about eating bananas for cramps, though.

Comment

Yeah, bananas have lots of potassium and like Kryz said, I've heard that these are caused by lack of potassium. I had cramps a couple times last week but not too bad. Figured it was due to the sprints I had recently been doing.

Comment

Shine: haha, I'd have to agree, as a former Cape Codder and current Bostonian

Comment

@shine - wieners, cabinets, coffee milk, and clam cakes aren't too primal, good thing you moved.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Lol, cabinets! That one always defies explanation... I actually used to eat really well growing up in New England. We lived on a small island about 15 miles off the coast with no franchised restaurants or fast food. My parents were lobstermen in the summer & clam diggers in the winter, so we pretty much just ate whatever came up in the pots or tongs that day. Plus a big garden in the backyard...why did I move away again, lol?

I do agree that most New England regional "specialties" are trash, though. But I miss Boston, though; such a fun city.

Comment

Avocados will work too and they contain more potassium than bananas. Also boiled swiss chard or spinach.

Comment

Ohh, I love avocados and spinach more than bananas. I eat both several times a week. I wonder if potassium isn't the issue...

The stiffness in my leg is going away. We'll see if it cramps up tonight.

Comment

Could it be low sodium levels? I have this issue fairly often. You drink a lot of water, but you also need to have adequate sodium levels. A primal diet dramatically reduces dietary sodium...if we're working out a lot in addition we lose a ton of sodium through sweat and need to eat a bit more than we think to keep levels adequate. Just a thought, hope you get it worked out because those things are nasty.

Comment

Working...
                              X