Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Back Exercises

Afternoon all!

I'm currently down 53lbs. It was mostly done through CW, but I've continued losing weight with greater energy and more fulfillment through PB. Unfortunately, 53lbs is just the proverbial "drop in the bucket" for me, but every little bit counts. =) Anyway... I've noticed that I've had increasing lower back pain as my weight has come down which I find odd. My lower back has always been a sensitive spot for me, prone to being thrown-out and tweaked, and I'm looking for some light to medium exercises to target those muscles and start strengthening it up/loosening it out. I'm searching online now, but if anyone has any great exercises that they are partial to I'd appreciate the input!

Sorry for the double posts... forum is acting weird for me =\ Doesn't display right in Firefox 3.5.5.

Comment

Kettlebell swings. I've only been kettlebelling for just over a week now but I can tell my lower back, hips, and hamstrings are much stronger. The first few kettlebell swing sessions were short but man did my back feel it. Couldn't walk straight for a few hours. The muscle soreness got less and less every session and now it's the least of my worries. I was very prone to lower back pain before, but maybe not anymore!

Comment

@GtrBMart - awesome, thanks for the advice. Watching some instructional videos now.

Comment

deadlifts always make my lower back feel great

Comment

Ditto on deadlifts. Just ease into them and make sure you get proper form going on.

In your face, Space Coyote!

Comment

supermans, forearm planks, sun salutations

Comment

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/5/muscles/lower-back

Good "core" exercises. If you are working on your lower back, always supplement with abdominals as well.

Comment

Also, google the exercise "planks".

Comment

I second the core/abs excercises. Alot of lower-back pain can be attributed to weak abs. Think of it kinda like the front not holding the back, so the back tries to compensate and gets sore...you need both muscles strong, but especially abs muscles. They are called the "core" of your body for a reason. You use 'em for everything!

Comment

Kettlebell exercises really work your core. Swings would be a great start.

Comment

Planks are an amazing core (back, abs, obliques) exercise requiring no equipment. They are low intensity, yet absolutely get results. So easy to do, and can be fun as you try to beat your own time of how long you can hold them.

Deadlifts and kettlebell/dumbbell swings are also effective, but require more effort.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Anything that involves the posterior chain; all variations of deads and squats; conventional deads, romanian deads in particular, low back squats hits it nicely, good mornings, bulgarian split squats, lunges, etc, etc google em, can all be done with lighter weights, best to stick to coumpound movements.

Comment

Thanks all. I've noted kettlebell swings, dead lifts, superman and planks. I tried some Sun Salutations and my form was not quite on par with the video I was watching. Thankfully, nobody (except my dogs) was watching. =) Will have to work on my flexibility and practice more before I'll feel like I'm doing them effectively. The Planks are brutal, which clearly underlines the fact that my core needs much work!

Comment

Just finished reading an article in Men's Health about the back...They reccomend these three exercises:

1. Side Bridge

2. Curlup (Not the same as a sit-up)

3. Bird Dog

Contrary to belief, the Superman exercise is NOT the most reputable...Sure it may strengthen your back muscles, but it also puts about a 1,350+ lb. load of force on the spine. (For comparison, the US Gvt's max for on-the-job lifting is a 770lb. load of force.)

Their main point in the article? That the worst possible thing you can do to your back is SIT...So don't forget to get off your ass MORE!

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X