Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet to increase muscular size

Hi guys.
    Im currently doing very high intensity training routines on a weekly basis.Very similar to Mike Mentzer's routines on youtube. Im continuously upping the weights and times.I hear many different variations of diet to help build muscle. Having listened to marks seminar I've started a high fat and protein diet. with limited carbs.I've stripped a lot of fat but am concerned muscle development is suffering.Obviously there are many ways in which body builders diet and supplement. eating 12 eggs a day or 6 small meals over a day.or 3 larger ones? I just wondered what you guys would suggest would be the best way of eating to take this training to its maximum. keeping body fat down and gaining muscle. With keeping my long term health in mind
    cheers

How old are you? That will affect muscle growth a bit. Maybe try upping the carbs a little? Especially after routines.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

There really isn't one, well maybe a raw diet, never tried it. Get adequate protein (.7-1g per lb of lean body mass). Use timing of protein and carbs post workout to your advantage. At some point you will need to eat a calorie surplus(if you don't have one right now) to pack on additional muscle.
      time.

Comment

Im 26. i lost just under a stone in 4 weeks on this diet. No real noticeable muscle loss but no gain either.thanks for the reply's

Comment

Do you want the quickest way to gain muscle or do you want to gain muscle slowly while keeping bf% at a constant?

Comment

Once im happy with how much b/f ive stripped i would then be looking to gain muscle whilst maintaining a acceptable level of b/f. at the moment im happy doing it gradual,more for general fitness than instant results.im up for experimentation . What do you suggest?

Comment

Funny as I started eating raw the the other day. I started lifting a short time ago (again) and had read about early body builders eating raw milk, and eggs and some meat.

Natural Body Builder Joshua Trentine swears it does his body good (large gains).

So this is a test for me. If I eat raw eggs, beef, milk for a while and it does not seem to net me great gains than I would be pretty comfortable saying that diet is not a huge deal. I guess we have to wait.

Comment

GOMAD. Forget about the idea of building significant muscle without adding a little bodyfat - you've already said that you've stripped fat without any problems in the past so just get your calorie count up, add some muscle and bodyfat and then deal with it later on.
                Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                Brute Force Sandbags
                www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

If your BF is 12% or lower, do a leangains recomp. If you are 10% or lower, just do a straight bulk. Which means 200g+ of clean carbs before/after weight training. Eat low carb on rest days and you shouldn't put on too much fat.

Comment

its about 10% now. your right for adding in carbs. Would you stick to 3 larger meals a day or increase it to four or five smaller portions. ?
                    Last edited by robwa1984; 06-24-2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Have you actually gotten measured lately? 10% is pretty much ripped...

Comment

Originally posted by robwa1984 View Post
                        its about 10% now. your right for adding in carbs. Would you stick to 3 larger meals a day or increase it to four or five smaller portions. ?
                        Not sure who you were asking, but as a former powerlifter who dabbled in bodybuilding stuff - eat larger meals when you are hungry. Smaller portions, IMO, suck balls. You never get full enough and are constantly watching the clocking waiting for your next window of eating. It sucks (balls - I think I mentioned that).
                        I agree with the leangains style of eating for your goals while staying primal. IF works well for a lot of people (not everyone) and the insulin spike PWO will definitely let your body know that you aren't going to starve anytime soon and it can partition the macros for your muscles rather than storing it on your ass.
                        People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                          Funny as I started eating raw the the other day. I started lifting a short time ago (again) and had read about early body builders eating raw milk, and eggs and some meat.

Natural Body Builder Joshua Trentine swears it does his body good (large gains).

So this is a test for me. If I eat raw eggs, beef, milk for a while and it does not seem to net me great gains than I would be pretty comfortable saying that diet is not a huge deal. I guess we have to wait.
                          Did you sign up for notification when Josh's raw dieting plan is ready? One of his places is across the street from me.
                          Last edited by pyro13g; 06-24-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

thanks for your help guys i will take all your advice on board

Comment

Originally posted by pyro13g View Post
                              Did you sign up for notification when Josh's raw dieting plan is ready? One of his places is across the street from me.
                              Thanks for mentioning this. I did sign up. I was just curious as I don't really need instruction to eat

It sounds like Josh follows the teaching(?) of Aajonus Vonderplanitz. I have listened to him but don't jive with all of his ideas (Voodoo). Raw in general makes sense to me from a lot of different angles. However, some of the other things I will pass on.

Anyway. I am currently just doing milk, eggs and beef. I have greens at night too. Easy and tasty. I am also eating beef previously frozen. I have a great farm nearby that pasture raises the cattle and I buy it by the 1/4 cow. It is much less expensive and the beef quality is known compared to the supermarket and local butcher. Kills enzymes maybe but I would rather start with good and make it a little worse than start unknown or bad and eat that for the enzymes and get the other less great stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X