Women lifting heavy and gym instructors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moocat View Post
    I seem to have at bit of problem when it comes to lifting heavy (kind of even lifting too) I want to lift heavy with about 5-10 reps the gym instuctors don't. Today I said to one of them what I prefer, I don't really remember what he said fully there was something about injuries there, what he said just did not make sense to me and I was slightly stunned, I could only seem to get out single words 'what?, why? how?' It didn't go to well, he got a bit annoied that I kept asking questions and I was getting far too annoied that he wasn't giving any good answers that made sense.

Now I'm kind of stuck, I think most if not all the gym instructors have this kind of attitude where men and women have different exercises, they mix a little but not really. This line of thought seems to be pretty common in this country even among female instructors. I'd hire a personal trainer except I don't have the money(and the guy that I was talking to is one) I'd change gyms but it's a small enough town, there's no other gym to change too. I do need them to show me the proper form too, so I can't really go off and do my own thing, If I did know what to do I wouldn't know how.

I'm not good with words so I'm not too good at arguing but I am fairly intelligent (ninty somethingth percintile rank ) and I've unbelievely stubborn. So what I was going to do is research the hell out of this and basicly throw all that at them. I might get one of them too see the light.

My problem now is where to research, there's so much crap information online I don't know where to look, I'm looking at google scholar, but is there any other sourses I could look. also I've no idea what to type into google scholar to get good information, just trying out a few different things now.

Another thing the bad grammar and spellings would be down to me being dyslexic (missing 'n's from the key being stiff)
    Gyday Mate from Australia;

Mate; couple of quick question:

What do 'you' mean by heavy?

To keep things really easy let me give you a simple example ok?

If you can lift 20kg above your head 5-10 times then I would suggest that this is not 'heavy'...but if you can only lift 20kg above your head 3-4 times; then thats heavy.

Mate; get some of that crazy Irish pumping some heavy weight...dont be scared..dont be intimidated by beautiful gym people or gym staff......

Grab life mate....grab some heavy objects and find out how bloody amazing it is to chuck them around!

Forget high reps and apologising for other peoples ignorance mate....GET INTO IT!

Lift heavy..lift smart....dont apologise for being diferrent...you may well just inspire other women to break free also.

Good stuff CHAMPION!........GO FOR IT.

Comment

I have a friend (female) who is seriously into the iron, and she is nudging me (hard! she's strong!) in that direction. She recently sent me these places to start (edited for relevance):

(1) New Rules of Lifting (aka NROL), Lou Schuler. (Stumptuous.com is totally "you go, girl" but lots of good information.) Read NROL and every time he mentions a specific move that you don't know, check it out on YouTube.

(2) The Apollo 13 method (aka convict training). What can you do with the equipment you have? What minimal things can you add and do much more?
      (2a) Consider adding 1. a Body Bar and 2. Chalk, for a better grip (key for small hands).

(3) Rippetoe is supposed to be The Man, and I was looking for his book when I ran across Education of a Bodybuilder. Never found Rippetoe but I'm glad I got the Arnold book. It's a really fast read and the latter part of the book is devoted to working out with very basic equipment, including body weight.

(4) Re pull-ups. Start with negatives.
      "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
      "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
      If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Working...
      X