Very long stretchs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very long stretchs.

I was wondering if you could rest in a stretched position to lengthen muscles without devoting specific time to it. Currently I'm trying it. So my cat is in my chair so when I'm browsing the internet I'm sitting as close to this: http://www.exrx.net/StretchImages/Hamstrings/Seated.jpg as my anatomy will allow while being comfortable. Should this make me have longer hamstrings? Have any of you heard of this?

yin yoga is based upon that principle... long long holds in a restorative framework.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

I wouldn't hold bent over stretches like that.

Comment

you can't make your muscles longer, just as you can't make your arms longer. you can increase your flexibility though.

Comment

Originally posted by nocturnalmama View Post
          yin yoga is based upon that principle... long long holds in a restorative framework.
          +1
          yin is great for my joints
          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Don't sit in that position for any length of time, let alone as long as possible. The spinal curvature forced by that position can be very harmful, especially to the lower back. Staying in that position for a long time is likely to lead to a bulging disc or even a herniation eventually. There are much better ways to stretch the hamstrings than the old "sit and reach".

Google search "hamstring stretches" and find ones that don't require you to bend your torso!

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
              Don't sit in that position for any length of time, let alone as long as possible. The spinal curvature forced by that position can be very harmful, especially to the lower back. Staying in that position for a long time is likely to lead to a bulging disc or even a herniation eventually. There are much better ways to stretch the hamstrings than the old "sit and reach".

Google search "hamstring stretches" and find ones that don't require you to bend your torso!
              +1 I didn't even click the photo.

If you flatten your back and bend your knees slightly, that'll help.
              Robin
              ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post

ditto
                Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

I said close. My back is straight, the photo is only similar, not exact. If I was holding myself like that parts would have given out before now. Thanks for the interest though.

@melody "you can't make your muscles longer, just as you can't make your arms longer. you can increase your flexibility though."

Your muscles lengthen every time they relax. If you can increase the range of motion the muscle is then longer at it's longest or shorter at it's shortest.

Comment

Working...
                  X