Indoor pull-up bar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor pull-up bar

I'm considering getting a pull-up bar, the kind that goes in a doorway. Does anyone else use one? Any suggestions/advice on brand, type, price, etc? I don't own any fitness equipment beyond some weights and so admit to being absolutely clueless.

my husband has one. It's whatever bed bath and beyond sells. Works fine, hasn't hurt the doorway, holds him up no problem.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Find a location for it, first. That can be easier said than done.

If you've got a spot that will work with the kind of pull up bar that doesn't require any hardware, I'd definitely go for that, even though they're fairly expensive.

If not, then you might need the kind where you have to screw brackets into the doorway, and you twist the bar to make it shorter or longer. That's the kind I had to get. The brand is called Go Fit, and it works just fine for 20 bucks.

Comment

I have the one they sell on the P90X site. I really like it, very good quality.

Comment

I installed a fixed mount bar in one doorway, but got nervous about the anchors giving way while I worked. So I changed up and got the counter weight model they sell at Bed. Bath, and Beyond and like it. No permanent fixture in the doorway. Converts to a push up bar and dip bar if you'd like. Boasts a "neutral grip" option for pull ups that I like.

Comment

I have the same one as Geoff, and it works great.

Comment

I have one that I installed for my youngest son 15 years ago... the screwed in bracket kind. He used it all through middle and high school and even when he was home from college. When I first started using it, I noticed it cracked and crunched with the first pull up only. That scared me. I mentioned it to him and he said not to worry... it's been doing that since the first day I installed it.

Comment

I bought the cheapo one from walmart, and couldn't be happier. It clearly says "don't swing", but I swing my 150lbs body like nobody's business and it's still standing. I screw 'em in between wooden door frames.

Comment

I'm going to build one in the garage...

like this one... but just one. Just plumbing supplies and lag bolts.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/13691.jpg

Comment

I also bought a cheap-o Bally's one from walmart. I hang upside down on it without a second thought...well, maybe sometimes. :P

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Would any of these bars fit on an outdoor wooden swing set? My daughter, now 21, is long done with the swingset, but it still sits in the yard in its treated wood splendor. I thought I might as well put it to use. It has a large beam across the top with two A-frames on each side and a platform on one side. I can't reach the beam with my 5'3" height so maybe a bar would work? Of course, my neighbors will think my 50-year old self has completely lost my mind when they see me trying to do pull-ups. I'm sure they already think I am nuts, when I sprinted around the yard last night in my Vibrams with 3 nutty cats and a dog running with me.

Comment

I have this one and it's great:

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1258674977&sr=8-2

My 200-lb husband can use it too, but he doesn't.

Comment

I had a removable bar that winds in and out with the brackets you screw in and it broke. I don't recommend them.

I now have the one like Jamie linked to and I find it much better.

The only problem I have is that I need to slightly duck to get under it (I leave it on all the time as it's a bit bulky to store elsewhere).

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                          Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                          Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

I got the cheap-o Walmart one for Christmas last year. I wasn't thrilled because I wanted the "good" one but ya know what... I love it! I'm extremely happy with it, in spite of only being able to do a single pull up at this point. It's the kind you can put on the floor for push ups n' stuff too. Iron Gym, I think it's called.

Comment

Thanks for your input, everyone!

I like the bar on the swingset idea, as I have the same set up in the yard. Sounds like a good spring project & I can get the kidlets to do some pull-ups, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X