Too old for crossfit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too old for crossfit?

I will be 43taken July 1st and I am wondering if that's too old to start CrossFit?

Yep too old... you should stick to water aerobics, tia chi, and walking. lol.

No... 43 isn't too old... what's your fitness background?

Comment

Nope, not too old! We have people in their 50s who do CF at my gym, and I know there are folks older than that out there doing it. My partner is 39 and just started last year, so it's definitely doable at 40-ish.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

http://jasonferruggia.com/no-excuses-no-limits/

This should give you your answer in short order.
        Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
        -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

ah..no...I am 47!

I am 47 and I just started Cross fit 2 weeks ago and am loving it (see my thread in the *other* cross fit thread) As I said in the other one, it's all scaled to your ability and you don't have to do the same level as the hard core athletes that train there (or the buff 23 year olds!!) LOL..

good luck!

Comment

How long is a typical Crossfit workout at a Crossfit gym?

Comment

Our classes are usually an hour. That's usually 10-15 minutes to warm up, 25 minutes for strength, and then 20 minutes for the WOD. This may vary depending on whether it's a 20-30 minute WOD or a quick 5 minute one (in which case the other bits will be longer, often with skill practice thrown in such as learning muscle-ups or doing mobility work).
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

How much fitness would one have to have as a base to start CF? (I think it ties in with the age question well enough.)
                My Fitday public journal.
                Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I am 50 yrs old and up until last month could not figure out what was making me sick (diagnosed with Celiac Disease May 25, '11) and even while getting sick i pushed myself to do as much as I could. Remember Jack LaLanne? He cross trained until he died at age 97. As long as you are alive you are never too old.

Make sure you work around any physical issues you may have by starting slow since you are so old!

Comment

What is a muscle up?

Comment

Originally posted by RLaVigna View Post
                      I am 50 yrs old and up until last month could not figure out what was making me sick (diagnosed with Celiac Disease May 25, '11) and even while getting sick i pushed myself to do as much as I could. Remember Jack LaLanne? He cross trained until he died at age 97. As long as you are alive you are never too old.

Make sure you work around any physical issues you may have by starting slow since you are so old!

+1
                      This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                      Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Originally posted by PookDo View Post
                        What is a muscle up?
                        Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! » Muscle-Ups!!

We do them using rings at our gym. Well, other people do. I'm still working on the progression.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
                          How much fitness would one have to have as a base to start CF? (I think it ties in with the age question well enough.)
                          I've seen people start at a lot of different levels. Personally, I came into it after an extended period away from working out (a year of recovery and rehab after breaking my leg and tearing my MCL) but had some background with training in martial arts, running, and dance. Some people come in with no real experience at all. Others are already very fit.

A good gym will scale things and ramp a new person up gradually as is appropriate, preferably with a series of fundamentals classes before dropping them into full-on WODs (unless they are at a high level of fitness to start). Good CF boxes scale and modify workouts for people who need it and take time to train people and teach good forms; bad ones dump them into WODs and let them muddle through with sloppy form with the inevitable injuries. I highly recommend doing your research before joining.

Owly's Journal

Comment

This guy Experience: I am a 91-year-old bodybuilder | Life and style | The Guardian is 91 and started lifting when he was 85. Age is simply an irrelevant factor.
                            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

I'm 41 and just started CrossFit last week. I'm starting with a good base - I can do a few strict pull-ups and already have a decent deadlift, etc. There are some in the class who are very fit and bust out the workouts, but there are also a number who are quite overweight. No one really seems to notice. Everyone is very encouraging and really supportive of one another. I would recommend checking it out. The only concern I have is that it seems a bit much - definitely more than is recommended. I haven't quite reconciled the two yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X