Headaches When I Exercise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches When I Exercise

This has been happening since before primal. Had sort of hoped it would resolve with the diet change, but nope.

Basically, when I exercise HARD (like this morning) I tend to get headaches. Pounding headaches. They go away after about two hours, but they don't exactly make me want to exercise.

This morning's exercise was an intro to CrossFit. It included: pull-ups, situps, push-ups, rowing machine, and squats. This REALLY seems to happen anytime I wind up in a position that puts my head below my heart. Burpees always cause this condition.

I don't have high blood pressure, and I don't tend to eat before exercising. I am hypothyroid with reactive hypoglycemia, though the latter has largely vanished since ditching grains. I keep hydrated when I work out.

Any advice, O Wisdom of the Forums?
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Wish I had an answer for you. I too used to have this problem of getting headaches when I did HIT exercise. I am a fairly heavy coffee drinker and found that if I reduced the amount of coffee I was drinking, and didn't have any coffee for about 2 hours before a workout that I wouldn't suffer from headaches. The caffeine was my headache menace. If you aren't consuming caffeine then I don't know what it could be.

Comment

Magnesium supplementation has completely eliminated my exercise-induced headaches. 400-600 mg Mag Citrate before bed. Helps with sleep, too.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
        Any advice, O Wisdom of the Forums?
        Exercise induced headaches...

Comment

i get them also. Anything seems to give them to me, actually. But a hard crossfit WOD, definitely - but then a few hours later i am good to go, maybe even an hour later i am okay. Rarely i'll have to take a triptan to make it go away.

Comment

Originally posted by GaretJax View Post
            I am a fairly heavy coffee drinker and found that if I reduced the amount of coffee I was drinking, and didn't have any coffee for about 2 hours before a workout that I wouldn't suffer from headaches. The caffeine was my headache menace.
            I get the headaches sometimes as well, generally when I've neglected to drink a little coffee or espresso prior to a lifting workout. They have largely gone away since I started supplementing Magnesium as Dragonfly stated.
            My Fitday public journal.
            Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
            Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
            Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Caffeine, eh? That's possible, and I do have a 12 oz cup every morning (though never with workouts).

Already taking magnesium, but thanks for the suggestion!

Oh well, at the very least glad to hear I'm not alone!
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
                Very interesting. Thank you!
                Steph
                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Working...
                X