Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Bench Press

hey PB'ers!

i recently bought some weights from the classifieds, and so have a barbell, 2 dumbbells and plates. ive been doing squats, deadlifts and also pull ups, but i dont have any way to set up a bench to do bench presses. Are push ups a suitable substitute if i want to build muscle?

If you have a "bench-like" object you can lay down on, you can do bench presses with the dumbbells instead of the barbell.

If you don't have a bench to lie on, maybe you can find a table or some other flat object with an edge, so you can do each arm separately?
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

I say yes, especially hip push ups, the change in leverage makes all the difference. Work up to these, even if you have to start on your knees, they're pretty challenging. The video below is meant for body-builders but it demonstrates the exercise. This is also a good example of how getting too big makes your head look tiny, avoid at all costs.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Do floor presses, ROM is going to be a bit smaller due to plates hitting the ground before bar hits your chest, but you can use a slightly closer grip to compensate

Comment

i second the floor presses. there are literally so many pushup variations you can do. check out typewriter pushups (one of my favorites), lifting one leg up, varying the width of your grip, etc. also, you can look at calisthenics kingz youtube page for some other ideas.

Comment

Pushups are awesome. Some of the best trainers out there say that you should actually do pushups before you do bench.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              there are literally so many pushup variations you can do.
              Did someone say push-up variations?

Btw, I haven't done a bench press in years and I'm quite pleased with my chest development.
              "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Like Al, I haven't done bench press in a long time. I do lots of weighted dips and chinups and I'm happy with my upper body strength and development. Unlike Al, I cannot do a triple-clap pushups, hehe. I'm working on it.

Comment

Good link Al. I rarely do bench presses anymore, maybe 2 times per month. When i am hitting the weights, i prefer to do things like alternating DB presses.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                    i second the floor presses. there are literally so many pushup variations you can do. check out typewriter pushups (one of my favorites), lifting one leg up, varying the width of your grip, etc. also, you can look at calisthenics kingz youtube page for some other ideas.
                    A floor press is not a synonym for pushup You press a barbell with your back lying on the floor. This exercise came before the benchpress was invented.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                      Do floor presses, ROM is going to be a bit smaller due to plates hitting the ground before bar hits your chest, but you can use a slightly closer grip to compensate
                      Wouldn't your elbows hit the ground before the plates?
                      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                        Yeah you're right, wasn't really visualizing them and haven't had to resort to them myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                          A floor press involves a limited ROM compared to a bench press, as you cant bend your arm past 90 degrees at the bottom (they're also more commonly done with DBs or KBs). However, like a box squat, you rest your arms on the floor at the bottom of each rep. Starting from a dead stop like that adds to the difficulty.

I still prefer push-ups.
                          "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Weighted vest pushups. Start with a 60 lb vest and decrease the weight (drop sets) as I do more sets until I'm down to bodyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                              A floor press is not a synonym for pushup You press a barbell with your back lying on the floor. This exercise came before the benchpress was invented.
                              i wasn't suggesting that it was. i should have been more clear. the floor press is a good exercise. ALSO (see what i did there?) there are many pushup variations you can do....

Comment

Working...
                              X