10+ hrs of low intensity cardio a week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10+ hrs of low intensity cardio a week

Hi all, I'm wondering if what I'm doing is a good strategy for healthy weight loss.

I lift 5 days a week (varied from high reps 20-25 sets of 4 to heavy and low reps 5 or 6 sets of 5)

I clock in 10 (plus or minus) of low intensity cardio a week (mon-fri) and always at and around 60-65% or for me (115-120 bpm)

I have a rest day... usually on a Friday but most of the time whenever my body tells me I need to rest.

I jump rope/sprint/some kind of HIIT on the spin-bike or other cardio machines two-three times a week.

I have either a long walk (10 miles) or 40 miles bike ride on sat or sun.

I've been on the Paleo diet for two months and am really wondering if the 10+ hrs of cardio is too much even though it's in the low intensity range. I still have roughly 20 more lbs to lose and is also wondering if I need to add more low intensity cardio to my work-outs.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread31628.html

Comment

You may be overexercising. I mean, if you love it, great. But for fat loss, it's easy to overdo it. I'd cut lifting back to once a week, SUPER intense lifting, a la Body by Science. HIIT maybe once or twice a week. Cut the cardio way back... like one long hike a week or so. 3 hours is plenty. 10 hours is over the top, imo.
      42 yo female; 5'8"
      Oct 2009: 205 lbs
      Dec 2010: 167 lbs
      Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
      Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by bokbadok View Post
        You may be overexercising. I mean, if you love it, great. But for fat loss, it's easy to overdo it. I'd cut lifting back to once a week, SUPER intense lifting, a la Body by Science. HIIT maybe once or twice a week. Cut the cardio way back... like one long hike a week or so. 3 hours is plenty. 10 hours is over the top, imo.
        +1

Comment

agree, except for the BBS part. Lift 2, maybe 3x a week. Sprint or HIIT 1x/week. Move around a lot, but don't go crazy on it.

Comment

Much less lifting, much more rest between lifts. Pick any low volume, infrequent, high intensity lifting routine.

Plus the cut back on HIIT. If you enjoy the 10hrs+ of low HRM cardio I don't see a big deal with it. I get more than that per week just taking car of the yard and garden in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by bokbadok View Post
              ...SUPER intense lifting, a la Body by Science...
              BODY BY SCIENCE FOR WOMEN WORKOUT VIDEOS
              BODY BY SCIENCE TRAINING (VIDEO 7): STEPHANIE ARNOLD - PART ONE

Comment

Working...
              X