one piece of equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one piece of equipment

I have a $100ish to spend on some equipment for the garage what would you suggest.
    Kettlebell, sandbag, dumbbells, medicine ball.....
    Or any ideas on making homemade stuff.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    D

Go to rosstraining.com for instructions on how to build useful workout equipment.

Anyways the equipment you buy should be a reflection of you goals. If you want to get big and strong you should buy a squat cage, barbell and weights. If you want to become explosive you should buy a barbell and bumper plates for the o-lifts (maybe some other random stuff for plyometrics such as vertical jumps etc), if you want to look like a gymnast you should buy some adjustable rings and parralel bars, if you want "functional strength" or whatever a medicine ball, sandbag, tractor tire and hammer might be of interest. Likewise I would use kettlebells more as a conditioning tool (a fun tool at that) than a strength tool. I don't think dumbbells are as versatile as barbells unless you're in a wheelchair (you won't be able to load properly for leg and lower back exercises).

Comment

For $100 I'd buy/make:

"Never Gymless" from rosstraining.com
      A place to do pullups
      A set of pushup bars
      A jumprope
      A couple of good resistance bands from ironwoody or resistancebandtraining.com for leg work

Comment

RINGS.

Won't run you $100 (or shouldn't)

Especially if you have high ceilings. Ring dips alone will make you appreciate the rings. With the rest I’d buy/make

- PVC parallettes (these can also double as push-up handles, well sort of – google for instructions)

- sandbag

- weighted backpack. I haven’t done this yet but I saw at rosstraining.com sandbags filled with pea gravel and I think you could make a pretty heavy backpack using the same material, it’s dense so it takes up little space.

- pull up bar (either door-frame or something you can attach to the wall preferably)

- sledgehammer (and find an old tire)
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I'll check out rosstraining.
          @pandadude....sorry, I should have prefaced with what I want to accomplish. I am just looking for "functional" fitness.
          Keep the ideas coming!!

Comment

- Rings, cheap-ish and awesome for lots of different exercises/progressions including pull ups, dips, push ups, static holds, muscle ups, squats etc. (ever see a weak gymnast? didn't think so!)
            - Jump rope, so cheap and so great!
            - A great book on how to use your own body weight efficiently and effectively Books / Audio
            Fitness Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

Comment

I like rings myself... you can do dips and bodyweight rows on them to start... good stuff.
              What does functional fitness mean?

Comment

Originally posted by denbro01 View Post
                I have a $100ish to spend on some equipment for the garage what would you suggest.
                Rings.

Comment

Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
                  What does functional fitness mean?
                  You know...being fit enough so that I'm functional! ; )

Comment

Rings and/or a pull-up bar
                    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Yes. Rings, my precious.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Thanks for the link to ross training! That website will keep me busy for a while! All the fun stuff I can build.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
                          I might upgrade to those in a year or so when I have a proper space to set them up. Right now I have my rings hanging from a door frame pull up bar which is VERY limiting and requires a lot of changing the heights of the rings. I also had to put athletes tape (the white kind) on my rings to prevent slipping. I believe those rings you posted prevent slipping more than mine.
                          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

As has already been said - you can do so much with bodyweight work. Get yourself something to hang from - rings or a bar. And you mention the idea of being functional but without quantifying this it doesn't really mean much. What exactly do you want to be able to do? One of my big training goals is to be able to lift and throw heavy weights around - so this is what I base most of my training on. Homemade sandbags are also very, very cheap compared to most traditional free weights. My original homemade sandbag - a rucksack filled with 3 25kg sandbags - cost me $6.
                            Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                            Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                            The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                            Brute Force Sandbags
                            www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                            http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Like many of the others: rings and or pullup bar. You should be able to get both for 100$.
                              Elastic bands would be another good supplement.

Comment

Working...
                              X