Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squats -> hypoglycemic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Squats -> hypoglycemic

    Started lifting weights a few weeks ago, so my figures arnt exactley up there, but im pushing myself hard. Im squatting with two twenty kilo weights on the bar, and going right down. I do four sets of eight reps. I feel slightly dizzy after the last two sets, and when i get home fifteen minutes later, i feel really dizzy, almost want to throw up, and am all shaky. The other workouts i did tonight were bench press and decline bench press.
    I dont want to self diagnose, and i certainly dont want to stop squatting, so what is going on here? I am eating fairly high carb at the moment, and fluid levels are fine (never thirsty, plenty of water in food and drinking lots). The last important factor, which i have ommited due to its absolute un-primality, is that i have been taking a pre workout supp called jack3d. Nasty stuff. But gets me pumped as. It contains a lot of caffeine and a few other "active ingredients". It has happened when i have not used the pre workout though.
    Thought? Queries? Jibes?

  • #2
    Once your body gets used to squatting, it will subside. I'd drop the supplement... as you proress into primal eating, you'll have the energy naturally.

    Comment


    • #3
      You could get a cheap glucometer to verify that it is actual hypoglycemia if you have any doubt. I got a free OneTouch with 10 strips off of a website. If it is hypoglycemia, eating lower carb could help since it tends to level out your blood sugar.

      Comment


      • #4
        1. Don't waste your time with the decline bench.
        2. Stop the sugar water pre-workout.
        3. The dizzy when really pushing hard is normal; I'll get light headed during the last few reps of a heavy deadlift set, but after recovery I don't get the shaky blood-sugar crash feeling. I bet without the "supplement" you won't, either.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CE402 View Post
          1. Don't waste your time with the decline bench.
          2. Stop the sugar water pre-workout.
          3. The dizzy when really pushing hard is normal; I'll get light headed during the last few reps of a heavy deadlift set, but after recovery I don't get the shaky blood-sugar crash feeling. I bet without the "supplement" you won't, either.
          This.
          Lifting Journal

          Comment


          • #6
            Couple of thoughts:
            1/ take it slowly; throwing up is for CrossFitters, but most people can do well without it; also your gym manager is probably not too keen
            2/ dizzy immediately after the set is fine, but it should go away very quickly; take 3-5min between the sets (sitting down! no supersetting) and the last set should be not much worse than the first one
            3/ consider doing a 5x5 protocol - more strength, less endurance
            4/ dont bench without a spotter if you are dizzy; even better: dont bench without a spotter; even better: do overhead presses instead (or at least alternating); lose the incline press, at least for now
            5/ consider adding deadlifts 1x per week
            6/ eat normally, certainly no caffeine crap or sugar pre-lifting. your volume (=reps x weight) is low enough that your metabolism can handle it so lack of fuel wont be a problem. get some protein (and carbs, if you want) post workout
            7/ get rest - sleep at night, and hit the gym at most every 48 hours
            8/ have fun! increasing the squat is awesome
            http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Are you exhaling properly on the upward movement of the squat?
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

              Comment


              • #8
                Jack3d doesn't have sugar in it. It's a nitric oxide product, also with beta alanine, creatine, and caffeine. Mostly for workout focus and stamina. Not for everyone.

                Comment


                • #9
                  @RezH Maybe Jack3d is a bit of an overkill then for a 60kg squat? Apart from it being rather non-primal of course...
                  http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    Are you exhaling properly on the upward movement of the squat?
                    I don't exhale. I tend to hold my breath for two reps at a time to maintain form. But if the OP is getting dizzy, breathing is probably a good thing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
                      I don't exhale. I tend to hold my breath for two reps at a time to maintain form. But if the OP is getting dizzy, breathing is probably a good thing.
                      You ought to be able to maintain form without having to hold your breath. Do you think it's possible you're lifting too heavy?
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                        You ought to be able to maintain form without having to hold your breath. Do you think it's possible you're lifting too heavy?
                        Huh? Undoing the valasalva maneuver when your lifting is not a good idea at all! Your diaphragm must remain inflate to correctly support your spine and core muscles. Squatting useful weight without it is unneeded risk.
                        Lifting Journal

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                          You ought to be able to maintain form without having to hold your breath. Do you think it's possible you're lifting too heavy?
                          What the hell? It is impossible to squat heavy without holding your breath, and it would be very unsafe. If the weight get back up, he's not lifting too heavy, obviously. Seriously, ah,???
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What Apex and Tfarny said. I can maintain form with no weight or light weight, but I'm squatting about 220 right now (not much for powerlifters, but not bad for a 40 year old after 8 weeks on a SS program). I can't go all five reps on one breath, but I breathe at the top. If I breathed in the middle, that would be very bad.

                            I breathed at the top of a heavy deadlift once. Getting back into form to lower the weight was difficult and if I had had bumper plates I would have just dropped it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
                              What Apex and Tfarny said. I can maintain form with no weight or light weight, but I'm squatting about 220 right now (not much for powerlifters, but not bad for a 40 year old after 8 weeks on a SS program). I can't go all five reps on one breath, but I breathe at the top. If I breathed in the middle, that would be very bad.

                              I breathed at the top of a heavy deadlift once. Getting back into form to lower the weight was difficult and if I had had bumper plates I would have just dropped it.
                              Why would you want to hold your breath for five reps?


                              IMO you can hold your breath on the way up, or you can grunt-exhale, the latter being a bit better on the blood-pressure front, but slightly less strong.
                              http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X