No announcement yet.

What do you eat before running/jogging?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you eat before running/jogging?

I'm with a running club and we train every Monday and Wednesday at 7.45pm. I get home from work at 5pm and I'm always hungry by then so have to eat before training. But I don't feel good if I eat the usual primal dinner. It's like it's just sitting in my stomach bouncing up and down. Not nice!
    So what can I eat instead? Fasting is not an option, it just doesn't work for me. Not yet anyway.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Eat something that digests quicker.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Nion View Post
      Eat something that digests quicker.
      Like carbs you mean?
      "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
      Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

I personally seem to do better with a small, higher-carb meal before runs. I love some sweet potato, preferably with a hard boiled egg or two. An apple with almond butter will do in a pinch, though I'm not a fan of using fruit or nuts as dietary staples.
        The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

I run into the same issue every Wed. night, Muay Thai starts around 7 and I seem to always be hungry at 5:30 when I get home.

Recently I've been doing a few raw veggies, mostly cauliflower and carrots, with some almond butter spread on them. It tends to fill me up enough to make it till the start and does not seem to weigh down my gut.
          "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
          - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Fortunately, I run in the morning or mid day, so I can do it on an empty stomach.

Gordo

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys .
              I'm going to experiment a little with sweet potato and maybe rice I think.
              Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

A banana is my staple pre-racquetball carb. You might try moving your lunch time back a little bit and just having a single banana or similar amount before running.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                  A banana is my staple pre-racquetball carb. You might try moving your lunch time back a little bit and just having a single banana or similar amount before running.
                  I don't know if bananas are a good choice for me as I seem to have a problem with fructose, but I can always try.
                  Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

I've found before a jog or other intense areobic activity is about the only time my body tolerates frutose all that well. I usually eat a piece of fruit or some dried fruit and nuts. Also quite fond of almond butter on celery, it is light yet filling. I usually jog in the morning though, which I tend to do on an empty stomach.
                    To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life. - William Londen

Comment

Originally posted by Dharma_Punk View Post
                      I've found before a jog or other intense areobic activity is about the only time my body tolerates frutose all that well. I usually eat a piece of fruit or some dried fruit and nuts. Also quite fond of almond butter on celery, it is light yet filling. I usually jog in the morning though, which I tend to do on an empty stomach.
                      Interesting. I've got a few things to try out then. I'm jogging tomorrow and will try sweet potato/rice then seeing as we haven't got any fruit at the moment.
                      Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

I try to eat at least an hour before working out, if possible. If not, I usally have a piece of fruit (apple or banana), a carrot, a chunk of cheese, some cured sausage or a combination of those as a light snack/small meal before I go.
                        Norak's Primal Journal:
                        2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                        2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                        2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Didn't have any GI issues today!
                          I had brown rice with some beef fat and roasted sweet potato with olive oil. It was very nice actually. I think I'm falling in love with sweet potatoes! I also had some blueberries and strawberries before I left home.
                          Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyria View Post
                            I don't know if bananas are a good choice for me as I seem to have a problem with fructose, but I can always try.
                            From the data I have found bananas are actually amongst the best fruits on a "g fructose / energy provided" basis which I assume what counts here as you would eat less of a banana than for example an apple (which incidentally seems very bad under this metrics) Healthy fruits – Fructose content edition | Thor Falk
                            http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

Comment

I usually drink milk with honey...

Regards
                              men's health

Comment

Working...
                              X