Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do most of my training on three days in a row then nothing for four?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do most of my training on three days in a row then nothing for four?

Hello

I have a ton of questions and have been finding most of the answers in the forum search but now I have a few specific questions that I have not been able to find an answer to. My problem is that my work has now put me on four 13 hour shifts Monday to Thursday with Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. I want to try to keep if not add muscle while getting rid of fat. Since I was not sure what would feel right for me I have started the Get Swole workout and I have been working out chest and back on Friday, legs on Saturday and arms on Sunday. On most weeks I have been doing shoulders on Wednesday or Thursday because I can get that done pretty quickly and only sacrifice about 50 minutes of sleep.
    I don't have any time to do much Monday to Thursday so I have been doing sprints right after my leg workout on Saturday because I am already warmed up and loose. I usually throw in some yoga on the weekends whenever I feel I have the energy. I really enjoy lifting weights and so far the beginner sprint routine has been fun but I was wondering if I am packing in too much on the three days that I have off.
    I really have zero time to work out Monday to Thursday without getting less than 6.5 hours of sleep but I want to know what people think of my busy weekends.
    I have been reading the forums and books for the last six weeks or so and have been slowly tring to incorporate Mark's principals. Once I know I have a solid nutrition and training schedule I will do the 21 day challenge but this new shift has made it very difficult.
    Just to let you know I have tried to do sprints during the week but I have to warm up for about 30 minutes before most workouts because of previous injuries and conditions. In the end I figured the extra hour of sleep may be more important-or is it?
    I know this was a long and jumbled mess of a first post but I appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks

Originally posted by boxersurfer View Post
    Hello

In the end I figured the extra hour of sleep may be more important-or is it?
    I know this was a long and jumbled mess of a first post but I appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks
    Yes. Definitely. Sleep is very important.

You don't have to train every day to reap the results. Rest is equally prized. You'll find out soon enough if it's working for you...

Don't try to do everything at once, unless you're a cold turkey person that prefers it that way... good habits are built to last... a lifetime... if done well.

Good luck!
    Trust your thoughts, inner voice and the messages that are showing up in your life.

Comment

I agree with "Lovebird," proper sleep is very important. IMO, I think it's crucial to get enough recovery, to get fit/stay fit. Also, instead of doing sprints every week, you can try to do them every other week. You'll still get the immediate benefits [hormonol response, post-exercise fat oxidation] but with more recovery time in between. All the best!

Comment

I workout 6 days a week. MWF - upper body, T TH S - lower body. 30 to 40 minutes max! I used to have a schedule like yours. Mine was 10 hours a day for 4 day week. You can adapt to it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I did kind of think that sleep is more important. I am going to figure something out. I have to. The strange thing is that I used to work 10.5 hours Mon to Thursday, a minimum of 8 hours Friday and a minimum of 5 hours on Saturday. I did that for almost 21 years and worked out almost every day and felt great. With this new shift and diet (unfortunately I started both at the same time) I cannot find any time or energy. I am starting to get restless and feel lazy/fat during the week. On the plus side I always look forward to Friday, Saturday and Sunday workouts.

Comment

Yes you can do 3 days instead of 4 days. but you also have to be careful with your diet.

Comment

You can workout seven days a week if you alternate weights and style of training. Simply eat right

Comment

You might also read Dr. Doug McGuff's book BODY BY SCIENCE. The BBS program, which is based on principals of High Intensity Training (not High Intensity INTERVAL training, mind you), advocates one brief, intense weight work out per week.

I've been doing the program for three years with fantastic results.
                “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                X