Just finished my power rack, time to get swole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished my power rack, time to get swole

Last week it became clear to me that the only way to safely do squats at home was with a power rack.

Then I started looking around and realized buying a manufactured one would be around 400$, minimum, and that Craigslist was a crapshoot; I needed it as soon as possible.

So I found this site, which had awesome plans that many people had already used to construct their own power rack. Very easy to build.

It's cool because the holes are custom and it leaves me with a lot of room for further customization. For example, I want to add some type of dip station. Also, I will have a pull up bar at the top.

Nice, dude. I see some hefty swollertrophy in your future. Though part of me would be very cautious about putting massive weights on something made of wood.
    The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
    Blog
    sigpic

Comment

Haha, well, it seems pretty strong and the design has been tested many times.

Still, I don't have to worry about massive weights for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
        Nice, dude. I see some hefty swollertrophy in your future. Though part of me would be very cautious about putting massive weights on something made of wood.
        Why not? My deck is built out of a similar construction and it holds much heavier loads then 400lbs on a bar. It will take more work to make it last as long as metal but overall it should stand up. It is a nice piece of work and shows that when you have a problem there is always a solution.
        Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

As long as the actual bar supports are made out of metal, and utilize multiple holes (2 or 3) on the rack I don't see a problem with it. Nice build! Makes me wish summer would get here sooner so I can get to fun projects.

Comment

Ha! "Swole."

Comment

Lol ErinC.

Conner P, yea man, the rails and supports are 3/4" black iron pipe.

Can't wait to be swole.

Comment

That looks awesome. Built like a tank!
                You are right, my Powertec Rack cost me close to $500 a couple years ago and yours will do the job just as well.
                Here's mine so others can see how yours resembles it.

-dennis

Comment

How would you put a dip station on this bad boy?

Comment

I'd just like to say 'enswoleration'.
                    The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                    Blog
                    sigpic

Comment

Damn that is awesome!

Comment

Haha, thanks!

It feels like just yesterday. When I look back, in my brain, at who I was before this rack and the subsequent strength training, I cannot understand why I lived my life for so many years as a weakling.

Easily the best thing I've done all year, is start to lift the weights, to do the squats, and it all started with this bad boy!

Comment

Do you remember how much it cost to build it?

Comment

This is a good time, I think, to do a little review of my experience with this rack since its construction in May 2011.

I started lifting a week or two after the picture you see here, first following a 5x5 StrongLifts program and then switching to a 3x5, Starting Strength type deal. I've reached body weight on my squat-- I am around 210#, give or take some-- and this is my most significant achievement.

I should disclose that my commitment has not been as strong as it should or could have been, having taken two 3+ week breaks in the time period, my nutrition at times less than perfect, and my alcohol and marijuana consumption at times excessive.

Still, a great success overall and I am looking forward to 2012 and the continued strength gains that will come with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldoneousk View Post
                              How would you put a dip station on this bad boy?
                              Get a set of rings and hang them from the chin bar.
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X