Just started using kettle bells

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started using kettle bells

I just did my first kettle bell workout yesterday (the only resistance training I've been doing is own bodyweight with primal blueprint fitness) and I am SORE!! I seems that Mark advocates long recovery times. What are your opinions? I was thinking that I would take today off and go again tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll do a kettle bell workout every two days. Is this too much? Should I wait until I'm no longer sore? Just not sure how to proceed.
    Follow my journey: http://paleoforlupus.blogspot.com/

I've been working out with KB's for a little over a year, and I would say you can do either. If you're using them primarily for strength gains, you might want to take a day off, especially if you're sore. However, I sometimes will do a high rep day (such as lots of swings, or some turkish Getups, windmills, etc) on days between a heavy session such as clean and press workout described in Enter the Kettlebell. Let your body tell you want to do

Comment

Begin your next workout when you feel stronger or at least as strong as before your previous workout. :-)
      MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

48 hours should be enough recovery time when you're just starting out. Don't be afraid of DOMS, and don't take "rest" days to mean laying on the couch doing nothing. Often a light workout the day after will help, as the increased blood flow will help to flush toxins from the healing muscles.

Like others said- when you no longer feel tired from your last workout is when you should begin your next if you're trying to build strength.

Comment

Hip flexor stretches and foam rollers!
          RKC, AFAA PT
          ------------------------------------------------
          “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” -Jim Rohn

Comment

I agree with the other posts...let your body be your guide. In my case...48 hours is usually good. A little soreness may still be there...but another good workout makes it go away. :-)

Train hard.

Comment

The harder the workout, the longer you'll need for recovery. But it also depends on the type of workout. Kettlebell workouts are *usually* focusing more on producing metabolic load in the muscles (higher numbers of repetition than in HIT or 5x5 approaches), and in that case there's less risk of overtraining. Nevertheless, like I said above, if you begin your workout and you feel weaker than in the previous workout, give it a miss and allow some extra days for recovery. Working out doesn't make sense when you're getting weaker in the process.

Comment

I've also recently started using KBs (mostly swings) after I do my barbell training. I'm using them to temporarily replace sled drags since those were aggravating a shin splint that will not go away and I still wanted to get some good metabolic work in. Any tips of properly performing swings? I still definitely need to dial in my form.

Comment

Not to highjack but I'm considering a KB workout but am wondering if you need to keep going up in weight. Should one buy a set, or an adjustable? Or can you just intensify the workout with the same kettelbell?

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                    I've also recently started using KBs (mostly swings) after I do my barbell training. I'm using them to temporarily replace sled drags since those were aggravating a shin splint that will not go away and I still wanted to get some good metabolic work in. Any tips of properly performing swings? I still definitely need to dial in my form.
                    Drive with the hips and not the shoulders.
                    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                    Brute Force Sandbags
                    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I've wanted to ask this question for a while: Why are kettlebells better than regular weights?
                      This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                      Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Typically kettlebells are used with swinging movements with momentum and many repetitions - for example the most popular exercise, the kettlebell swing. It's not necessarily "better" - it's a different purpose.

Comment

With our lupus, we need extra recovery time. I don't think one day is enough. You'll know when you are pushing too hard because you'll take two big steps back wrt your lupus -- back in the bed in the fetal position. Take it easy, lots of rest. One of my body workers talks to me often about my EGO compelling me to do things my body simply isn't ready to do.
                          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by Digby View Post
                            I've wanted to ask this question for a while: Why are kettlebells better than regular weights?
                            They aren't.
                            Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                            Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                            The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                            Brute Force Sandbags
                            www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                            http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
                              Typically kettlebells are used with swinging movements with momentum and many repetitions - for example the most popular exercise, the kettlebell swing. It's not necessarily "better" - it's a different purpose.
                              Is that a motion you can't do with a regular handweight?
                              This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                              Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Working...
                              X