New to Weightlifting: Squats, Deadlifts, and Benchpress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Weightlifting: Squats, Deadlifts, and Benchpress

Bodyweight exercises have always been a challenge and a blast. I fell in love with Mark's Prison Workout seeing that the burpee is the king of all bodyweight exercise and the other exercises he recommended whipped me into shape in such a short time.

So now my physique is lean and it's time to build muscle with a bar and some iron weights.

The three exercises-- squats, deadlifts, and bench-- are they themselves twice a week enough to pack on some impressive and useful muscle? Your thoughts.

A: Squat, Bench, Row
    B: Squat, shoulder press, deadlift

Alternate A and B days with at least 48hr of rest in between. So say one week Monday A, Wednesday B, Friday A. The next week do Monday B, Wednesday A, Friday B. Do everything for 5 sets of 5 (EXCEPT deadlift, which you only do 1 set of 5)

StrongLifts.com: Strength and Muscle Building Strategies without The Bull

Comment

Originally posted by CoconutMedic View Post
      So now my physique is lean and it's time to build muscle with a bar and some iron weights.

The three exercises-- squats, deadlifts, and bench-- are they themselves twice a week enough to pack on some impressive and useful muscle? Your thoughts.
      Your ability to pack on muscle is more a function of your genetics than your workout protocol. Dips and chin ups are good upper body exercises.
      Last edited by js290; 04-26-2011, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
        Your ability to pack on muscle is more a function of your genetics than your workout protocol. Dips and chin ups are good upper body exercises.
        Dips and chinups are a part of the routine so far. Weightlifting will build up whatever muscle possible at a faster rate then bodyweight exercise.

I will strongly consider the routine you posted, Conner, and will tack on HIIT sprinting twice a week to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Conner P. View Post
          A: Squat, Bench, Row
          B: Squat, shoulder press, deadlift

Alternate A and B days with at least 48hr of rest in between. So say one week Monday A, Wednesday B, Friday A. The next week do Monday B, Wednesday A, Friday B. Do everything for 5 sets of 5 (EXCEPT deadlift, which you only do 1 set of 5)

StrongLifts.com: Strength and Muscle Building Strategies without The Bull
          +1. Although, I would add pullups and dips to both days. That is pretty much the routine I'm on now: I'm adding muscle, losing fat and getting stronger.

Comment

i started this program 3 weeks ago after crossfitting for 9 months. it seems to be working well http://70sbig.com/public_html/wp-con..._S&CP_v2.0.pdf

Comment

I have found that over the years just going to the gym, starting with a basic work out, and learning what to do or not to do from the regulars has been a good technique. It is a good way to learn, and although I wouldn't say I go to the gym to socialize, I have made some good friends along the way. The muscle mass won't happen over night, but it will come as you continue to move heavy things around.
              "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalRFG View Post
                +1. Although, I would add pullups and dips to both days. That is pretty much the routine I'm on now: I'm adding muscle, losing fat and getting stronger.
                I agree with this, when I did 5x5 that's exactly what I did, though I did push-ups instead of dips (either is fine) and also I did inverted rows instead of BBB rows.
                My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Yes 2 days strength, 1 day sprints is enough.

Another alternative could be:

Day 1: Squats, Bench, Deadlift, Standing overhead press
                  Day 2: Power clean and press, weighted dips, weighted pullups

Comment

I also recommend weighted dip and chinups. They're working really well for me. I haven't done bench press in a long time. Who knows, maybe I'd get even better results if I incorporated it.

Comment

Yes. As long as you lift heavy and eat enough. But it does depend on your definition of "impressive and useful".
                      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                      Brute Force Sandbags
                      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by CoconutMedic View Post
                        Bodyweight exercises have always been a challenge and a blast. I fell in love with Mark's Prison Workout seeing that the burpee is the king of all bodyweight exercise and the other exercises he recommended whipped me into shape in such a short time.

Yes. I've personally seen people pack on 20lbs of muscles in a matter of a couple weeks using a routine based on them, given a "perfect storm" of factors. (No need to link me to BBS dude, js290, I know your opinion and it's your right to it, but those of us who actually train people have seen this stuff with our own two eyes.)

Some personal stats would allow us to tell you more of what to expect.
                        Lifting Journal

Comment

Nobody is recommending a power component (cleans etc.)? Sprints are enough?
                          For me (personally), now that I've been through starting strength and at least squat over my bodyweight, a twice a week program (get stronger without getting fatter, at a moderate pace) would have:

A: Squats (volume), overhead press, dips, deadlift, rings work
                          B: Squats (PRs), bench, chins, clean and jerk, plank
                          Throw in a sprint session with some more chins, a yoga or swim day, and a sports day, and that's about perfect for me.
                          Everyone is different though.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                            For me (personally), now that I've been through starting strength and at least squat over my bodyweight, a twice a week program (get stronger without getting fatter, at a moderate pace) would have:

Throw in a sprint session with some more chins, a yoga or swim day, and a sports day, and that's about perfect for me.
                            While I agree power lifts are useful, the question was whether the big 3 would be enough for muscle gains, and they are. Would a better program involve power lifts- I think so, depending on goals and some other factors.
                            Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post

If by no one you mean me, then yes no one recommended it

Comment

Working...
                              X