Weighted push ups or how to get your child to be your trainer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighted push ups or how to get your child to be your trainer

I have been progressing steadily on more and more difficult bodyweight exercises. I usually do my routine in the evening in my family room while watching TV. My almost 4 year old daughter likes to get involved sometimes just getting in the way but most times do the exercises along with me as best she can.

She recently started jumping on my back during push ups and I would quickly shoo her away as she weighs 45lbs. Last week I decided to just go with it and did 3x10 push ups with my daughter on my back and it felt pretty good. This week I went to do push ups and of course she instantly jumps on my back. I started doing reps and she starts counting them out. My first set I did 20 reps and got a count with it. I collapse to the floor and lie there for about 3 minutes when my daughter jumps on my back and says "Come on you can do some more Dad!", "I know you can do it." So I said what the heck. I went and busted out 15 more reps with my daughter counting them out for me.

As I lay there contemplating even doing a 3rd set my daughter comes back again and says "Come on Dad I know you can do some more." I told her I don't know if I can do many more. So she comes back with "I know you can do 7 more." I thought well if she thinks I can do 7 more then I will do 7 more. I get going and she counts them out to 7 and I keep going to 15. It really was a heck of a motivator. My strength will have to increase as she grows too.

I used to get agitated with my daughter getting in my way during my exercises but now it turns out it is a lot more fun to get here involved.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

That's awesome! My 3yo son helps me too. The other day I was trying to do some pull ups on the tree, so he wanted to try too. Now he tells me he needs to exercise and I'll hold him in the doorway and help him do pull ups from the door frame--it's nice to have a good influence on them
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Comment

Awesome!

Kids work well for squats too. Just dont drop them.
      MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

You could also do a Turkish get-up with your daughter

My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

Comment

Holy crap that video is amazing!

Doing push-ups with your daughter as an extra weight would be a modern recreation of Milo and his bull calf. Go for it!

Comment

You know what would be SWEET? And I plan to totally do this if I have a kid: Take pics/video every year of their lives up until 21 and you must be able to do a pull up and a push up with them on your back. Good way to keep them in check weight wise (uh, without traumatizing them, of course) and to keep getting stronger in a fun way.

Imagine, if you have a son, he will easily get over 100lbs before even hitting puberty so your single rep PR (personal record) has to be above 100lbs for over 10 years! Not to mention your own bodyweight!

Yeah, I’m definitely doing that.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

iniQuity I love the idea so much I think I am going to steal it. My daughter is 4 but I have another one on the way in Sept. My next update will be in 20 years.

I am going to have to try the turkish get up too. My daughter would have a ball trying that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
                iniQuity I love the idea so much I think I am going to steal it. My daughter is 4 but I have another one on the way in Sept. My next update will be in 20 years.

I am going to have to try the turkish get up too. My daughter would have a ball trying that one out.
                Steal away! I'm sure I wasn't the first to think of it.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Al, does your daughter sit on your back or lie on it? I'm in the midst of doing the 100 push up challenge and am already thinking of ways to make them more difficult for when I am done with the challenge. My smallest daugther is 9, 4'4" and weighs 60 lbs. I've been thinking of trying this with her.
                  Last edited by geostump; 04-20-2011, 12:46 PM.
                  Georgette

Comment

When I was a little guy my dad used to lock himslef in our TV room and do 1,000 push-up nights in sets of 100. I am pretty sure he is part mutant or something, but his last 100 was usually with me or my aunt on his back. My aunt is older and was probably a little over 100 lbs., I was in the 40 lb. range. He also used to load up the leg press at the gym with all of the 45 lb. plates it could fit and then have me and/or my brothers sit on the sled as he would rep out over 1,000 pounds. We also have pictures of him shoulder pressing me and one of my brothers like we were dumbells. These are things I hope to one day accomplish with kids of my own. My dad has always motivated me to push myself and I guess this little story can help motivate you all as well. Enjoy incorporating your kids into your fitness routine and setting a good example for them.
                    Last edited by Invictus14; 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM. Reason: typos
                    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Comment

My middle daughter was counting my push ups out for me. That was pretty cool.
                      Georgette

Comment

Our best supporters are usually right in our own home. WAY TO GO DAD!!!
                        Gretchen in Wyoming
                        Princess to the King
                        Mom of 3
                        Grandma of 1
                        Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                          You could also do a Turkish get-up with your daughter

Holy crap!!!

I bench press my 8yo nephew every now and then and my 4yo niece likes to do pullups and chinups from my arms. Their parents are very sedentary but whenever they are around my wife and I, play that utilizes strength and agility is always on the books for the day.
                          iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                            Al, does your daughter sit on your back or lie on it? I'm in the midst of doing the 100 push up challenge and am already thinking of ways to make them more difficult for when I am done with the challenge. My smallest daugther is 9, 4'4" and weighs 60 lbs. I've been thinking of trying this with her.
                            I have her sit on my back as close to my shoulders as she can. I have maxed out on almost 60 reps in one set and have been working on the one armed push up. I had been getting bored with the progression and this has made things much more fun. I have changed up my handstand push up progression too and stopped trying to do the push ups. Now I just do a handstand whenever a commercial comes on TV and see if I can hold it for the whole commercial break. So far I haven't been able to do it but I am getting close.

Comment

Working...
                            X