Fasting + Weight Training... Safety?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting + Weight Training... Safety?

Yesterday, I finished up a cheat meal at 4pm (TONS of whipped cream + berries) and wasn't hungry the rest of the day. Today, I woke up after about 17-18 hrs of fasting and had a protein shake, a cup of coffee and some almond butter over the course of 3 hours. Then I went to the gym to weight train, involving heavy squats, presses, pull-ups, dips.

I had a great workout, but felt jittery and light headed throughout. While I didn't wind up lifting on a true fast, does anyone here question the safety of lifting during fasting? I know some people like the impact of fasting HGH + weight lifting HGH, but I'm wondering if in the future, I should avoid this kind of training.

On a related note, after working out I ate sauerkraut and a 5 egg omelet and am still feeling a little "off."

Thanks for any thoughts!

It's something I do from time to time and it hasn't killed me.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

i do it all the time and never have jitters/blood sugar issues
      I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
        It's something I do from time to time and it hasn't killed me.
        Haha. I love this. I forgot to add that my both my resting HR and HR immediately after completing a set were elevated. Ah well..

Comment

Completely fasted all-out sprints definately makes my head cloudy. Weight training doesn't have that effect, but I feel weak (psychologically also) if I haven't had anything. I believe having circulating amino acids is beneficial for growth aswell, so if I'm training in the morning ill have milk and whey before.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
            Completely fasted all-out sprints definately makes my head cloudy. Weight training doesn't have that effect, but I feel weak (psychologically also) if I haven't had anything. I believe having circulating amino acids is beneficial for growth aswell, so if I'm training in the morning ill have milk and whey before.
            Thanks. I did feel weak before and after sets, and think I know what you mean by the psychologically also part. The ironic part was, on the lifts, I felt strong.

Comment

Are you used to fasting? Do you fast after days of clean eating, as well? Once you are adapted to fasting, the jitters should go away.
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I've done this plenty of times. With me it works better if I get my workout in the morning, then just suffer the rest of the day.
                "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
                Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                  Are you used to fasting? Do you fast after days of clean eating, as well? Once you are adapted to fasting, the jitters should go away.
                  I've been trying IF for about 3 weeks or so now. It has helped me lean out a bit. I have fasted after a day of clean eating, but I've reserved it mostly after cheat days. This is the second time I've lifted after fasting, but the first time it did not have the same weird effect.

Comment

I do it three times per week, its a small fast. I only break it with some coffee and a bit of cream. Then hit the TM for an hour (brisk walking, and maybe some sprints) and the weight room and core for about 75 min. I go from 7pm to about 12:30-1pm the next day. No issues here. In fact I perform better (lift heavier, have more stamina).
                    SW: 235
                    CW:220
                    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

If I'm fasting after a clean-eating day then I can work out, no problem - if anything, my strength is better. But if I'm fasting after a not-so-good day, then yeah, I feel weird - actually most of the time I can't even convince myself to work out without something to eat first.

Comment

There are other factors, too - most notably stress, dehydration, lack of sleep. Make sure you rule those out before you attribute anything to the fasting itself. Sounds trivial, but I think that particularly dehydration is something that can sort of sneak in through the back door when you're fasting.
                        MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
                          There are other factors, too - most notably stress, dehydration, lack of sleep. Make sure you rule those out before you attribute anything to the fasting itself. Sounds trivial, but I think that particularly dehydration is something that can sort of sneak in through the back door when you're fasting.
                          Good call. My med-school girlfriend hounds me on the dehydration thing, and I think you may be right here. I don't think stress or sleep were issues, but I do think dehydration may have played a role.

Comment

I always work out fasted. Took me a few months to get used to it, but it's been over 2 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by primalclubber View Post
                              I always work out fasted. Took me a few months to get used to it, but it's been over 2 years now.
                              Yeah, I HATE working out non-fasted now. It just seems weird.
                              Lifting Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X