Where does yoga fit in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does yoga fit in?

I was just in the middle of one of my 'Play' days, when I thought about the possibility of incorporating yoga into my workout schedule. Yes, I'm one of those organized people who needs to plan my workouts in advance. I didn't used to be, but that was before I had kids. Now, I plan everything to ensure that I'll be able to take care of their needs and my needs without shortchanging any of us.

I took yoga classes for years a long time ago, and I think with a little brush-up, I can get back in the yoga game fairly easily. And doesn't it just sound idyllic to take my yoga mat on the back porch and do some yoga, surrounded by the sounds of nature?

I'm just not sure what yoga would qualify as, WOW or Play? I've used the search engine, and while Mark discusses yoga, I don't see where he's specified how he'd classify it. What say you?
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

For me, some of my yoga is strenuous enough to qualify as moving slowly for long periods of time. Some of the shorter ones might constitute play. And I think in large part it goes toward stress reduction which is important. Also flexibility which I haven't seen Mark address much, but which I think is a very important part of fitness and well being.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

It doesn't yoga is an evil religion, and a gateway to vegetarianism, which we all know is a gateway to veganism.

Comment

I don't do yoga, but from what my friend tells me, they do a lot of planks and stuff. Doesn't that come under bodyweight exercise?
        Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
        Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
        CW: 146.8 lbs
        GW 140 lbs
        A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Originally posted by Sassy View Post
          For me, some of my yoga is strenuous enough to qualify as moving slowly for long periods of time. Some of the shorter ones might constitute play. And I think in large part it goes toward stress reduction which is important. Also flexibility which I haven't seen Mark address much, but which I think is a very important part of fitness and well being.
          Same here.
          For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sassy and Belinda - That was kind of why I'm conflicted on what it qualifies as. I remember it being a good workout, I know it contributes to strength, but it feels more like play to me.

Darth - I actually stopped being a vegetarian while taking yoga. I could tell I needed more protein, because I needed to strengthen my muscles, and I couldn't get enough without meat. I was so into yoga, I had an Ohm Symbol tattooed on my back, lol. I guess I'm the exception to that 'gateway to evil' rule.
            Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Comment

Mondays
              "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
              Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

Love love love yoga. You'll find several yoga people here.

I have stoped trying to figure out if a certain exercise is categorized as "moving slowly" or "lifting heavy" or "playing". If it feels good, then do it. I still "lift heavy" twice a week and "move slowly" every day so I guess yoga is "play" for me?

Comment

yoga fits in where ever you want it to
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

Does it matter what it qualifies as? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious. I think if you can find a way of moving your body that you truly enjoy, you should just do it.

I may be biased because I loooooooove yoga, and think everyone should do it. It'll cure what ails ya.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                      It doesn't yoga is an evil religion, and a gateway to vegetarianism, which we all know is a gateway to veganism.
                      It's cool. I made a yoga mat out of bacon.
                      Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

i do yoga about twice a week. . . or when the mood strikes me. . . i'd probably do it more if i had one of sassy's bacon mats!!

Comment

I also don't think it matters too much what it qualifies as, but I'll propose that if your yoga workout takes you to the brink of muscle failure, it might classify as LHT, but if it's easier you might want to put into the move slowly category. In other words, you could use yoga as your main workout as long as it is a really really demanding class, but even some yoga instructors I've seen could stand to do more strength training. Some of them are very fit, don't get me wrong.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

That Priscilla Patrick yoga lady is ripped. I couldn't begin to follow along with her and I'm more or less in shape, or was anyway before my cardiac incident.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                              I also don't think it matters too much what it qualifies as, but I'll propose that if your yoga workout takes you to the brink of muscle failure, it might classify as LHT, but if it's easier you might want to put into the move slowly category. In other words, you could use yoga as your main workout as long as it is a really really demanding class, but even some yoga instructors I've seen could stand to do more strength training. Some of them are very fit, don't get me wrong.
                              Agree completely. As a former chronic weight lifter, I really got into yoga for about 6 months. I'm currently very focused on LHT, so yoga is more of a play/move slowly thing for me. But, I think yoga can be a very important part of a primal fitness plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X