No announcement yet.

Whey protein and workout-related nutrition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the additional info to all of you (Zoe, iniQuity, and FF). I tried mixing my BCAAs with faily hot coffee the other day and they did mix slightly better, but still not great. It's kinda awkward to get them all down in the locker room because I have to keep mixing and refilling my little tupperware of BCAAs. It's also awkward when I use the "chaser" method and get white powdery dust all over my face ("is that guy snorting coke before he lifts?"). Oh well, I can deal, haha.

I guess I will keep enjoying my over-easy eggs (with lots of butter and herbs)!

Comment

Al, just read why you don't take nutritional supplements. Could you share your approach to nutrition with exercise? What/when do you eat? Pre-work out? Post work-out? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
        It's also awkward when I use the "chaser" method and get white powdery dust all over my face ("is that guy snorting coke before he lifts?"). Oh well, I can deal, haha.
        Haha!!! I wondered this exact same thing when I was taking them via that method...

Comment

Originally posted by ZoŽ View Post

I mean, this is getting nitpicky. Even having whole eggs every day probably wouldn't hurt as long as you're getting plenty of biotin. I'll till eat well-cooked whites occasionally as well... but then you also have some oxidized cholesterol if you break the yolks, too. Raw yolks only most of the time for choline for me, too. But then again... I (well, we) soak white rice.
          You geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Melantha View Post
            How does the BCAA supplement taste? I looked at GNC and everything is fruit-flavored, which worries me since I'm not a fruit-flavor person.
            I take MAP BCAA pills pre-workout, I don't understand peoples aversion to pills (it's usually that they don't like having to swallow so many), as I can down 20pills in one swallow with just a little water. (wifey however has issues swallowing one pill at a time)
            Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
            Everyone's gotta find what works for them. As a side rant, I think it's crazy to discard eggs yolks and only eat the whites.

But like I said, to each their own!
            I love me some yolks, over easy on the eggs
            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by GaretJax View Post
              Al, just read why you don't take nutritional supplements. Could you share your approach to nutrition with exercise? What/when do you eat? Pre-work out? Post work-out? Thanks.
              I put a lot less thought into diet than most of the people on these forums - exercise is a much larger part of my focus. I've written a few blog posts about diet and exercise though (like that one).
              "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                I put a lot less thought into diet than most of the people on these forums - exercise is a much larger part of my focus. I've written a few blog posts about diet and exercise though (like that one).
                basically comes down to : eat real food

for me it's : eat A LOT of real food
                I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

So I bought a cannister of vanilla-flavored whey protein powder. It's sweetened with stevia and the store brand from my local natural foods store, which I trust to screen reasonably healthy ingredients. It says on the AA breakdown that it has 2.5g of leucine per serving, so my plan is, on Wednesday, have one serving right before lifting, and then eat my lunch afterwards, and then on Friday, I'll have one serving before lifting and one serving after, and then have lunch around noon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by federkeil View Post
                    I don't understand peoples aversion to pills
                    My only aversion is that in general pills are WAY more expensive than powders. How much were the pills per unit weight, federkeil?

Comment

In the case of BCAA pills, Optimum Nutrition sells a 30 day supply for $5.13 (go to Vitacost).

They should last much longer than 30 days, as you only take one serving before weight training.

Comment

Working...
                      X