My current workout woes! Any advice?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My current workout woes! Any advice?!

I have been following Stronglifts 5x5 for just going on 6 weeks now and have stalled terribly. I have been unable to go through my current plateu in nearly every exercise. I try and squat 60kg and can't go to horizontal or just below, failed at deadlifting 70kg because my upper body does not want to follow my hips up and my back starts to get the pressure in a bad way, Bench press is stalling on the last few reps & OH Press is something I just don't even want to talk about. Basically I have not just hit a brick wall but a brick wall with razor wire and surrounding mine field!
    My current thoughts are having a week or 2 week break and focus on the PB workouts as well as trying my hand at yoga and indoor rock climbing, while completely forgetting about my weights. Is this a good idea? Any thoughts?

The Six Year Itch, or, Was It All A Waste Of Time? Skyler Tanner

Comment

That was a great article, but it was preaching to the choir. I have been reducing my weights training recently by lessening to 2 days of weights and 1-2 days of 'insert random thing that I want to do that is fun'. I understand that until now I have been making 'newbie' gains by upping my weights between 2-5kg every week but it is still disheartening when I have tried to break through this platue twice mithout success. I also don't want to give the impression that I expect to go from a skinny fat school boy into a hulking arnie within 12 months, but I am hoping that at 19, I should be able to reach my relatively attainable goals of dropping 3kg fat and building 3kg muscle.

Comment

Take a break (maybe 1-2 weeks while you focus on something else) and then start back with the programme. It would be useful to know why you are stalling though - how long have you been stuck here, what is your diet like, what does your technique look like?
        Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
        Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
        The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
        Brute Force Sandbags
        www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
        http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Palfrey - I have been stuck for about 2 weeks, I think my diet is pretty good. I have been following Primal diet with a bit of IF thrown in and a standard day looks like:
          Breakfast - bacon, eggs, tomato, spinach OR low fat low carb yoghurt OR lunch food OR fast every couple days
          Mid morning - Usually a protein shake on workout days
          Lunch - Dead animal & salad or steamed veggies
          Afternoon - Post workout protein shake after exercise
          Dinner - Dead animal and salad or veggies

I think I have good technique as I have been able to take quick glances in mirrors at the gym while squatting, pressing, deadlifting and I class failure as when I can't lift the weight with satisfactory form. Eg I couldn't go to horizontal or just below horizontal in squats with the 62.5kg.

Comment

Oh and I have been thinking about grabbing some cheapy sandbags for mucking around in the back yard. I am also going to buy a slegehammer to give a truck tyre a fair smack when I'm bored. I also intermittently swap a gym workout day for crossfit or my new fun activity indoor rock climbing. I am also looking at giving yoga a crack.
            What can I say I would rather enjoy myself and do everything I want while I am young and have little commitments than wait till I'm in my 30's with kids and realise I have wasted my life in pursuit of the best workout program.

Comment

Diet looks good but it can be difficult to add serious muscle with a standard paleo/primal diet - you could try upping carbs a little (maybe some sweet potato?).

Sandbags are fun - maybe use them as a break from the bar for a little while.
              Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
              Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
              The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
              Brute Force Sandbags
              www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
              http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

When I first started getting serious with weight training, I kept injuring my back on squats whenever I'd go above 135 lbs (part of it's due to a highschool weight lifting injury). I FINALLY broke the plataeu by paying very careful attention to my form. From what you've described, you might need to check your form on all your lifts. I could be wrong and it could just be strength-related, but I'm betting that correcting your form will help you keep making progress.

Comment

definitely try taking a little break...a week, maybe two. and i second coach's recommendation to increase your carbs a little bit. try a sweet potato on lifting days.
                  but, i think yodiewan has some of the best advice. form is so important. if you can, get a video of yourself doing the exercises and post them. the stronglifts forum is (or used to be) great about giving advice on form. you could probably post them here too.

also, try a little grease the groove. throw your top weight on the bar, squat once, then rack it. then do that again 9 more times. then do it all again.
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I think people use "grease the groove" a little too much around here. It's one thing if you're talking about popping out a pullup or three when you walk by the bar. it's another thing to just throw on the weight that you are having difficulty with doing 5 reps and doing one rep multiple times. That is a real workout unto itself, even if not done to failure. You're not going to help with synaptic facilitation using heavy weights, which is what greasing the groove is about.

Comment

All great responses thanks! I am willing to give it a go but am wary of adding any more carbs on lifting days as protein shakes already have (most likely reeeeally bad) carb levels. I have got others to watch me at the gym as well as looking in mirror and form seems ok but will keep an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X